When's The Last Time You Got Your Hair Cut At A Barbershop

Chromedome1990

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Or a salon? I myself haven't had my hair cut by a barber since 2009. I'll never forget my last haircut as long as I live...

As the barber's cutting my hair, he out of the blue says to me, "wow your hair is thinning quite a bit, such a shame since you look young," and I just sat there, aghast. I already knew at this point I was thinning, but I was still able to cover it pretty well without the use of concealers, and never had it pointed out to me by a stranger. Well, needless to say this episode destroyed me inside, and I learned to cut my own hair after that.

So, what about you guys?

InCider

Established Member
Reaction score
I think I might hold the record on this one.......last haircut in a salon was about 30 years ago. LOL

I had a similar experience to you (on my last haircut). The female hair dresser remarked during the haircut that "I would be polishing it soon" which left me squirming with embarrassment. She then remarked that her brother was in a similar situation "but much worse" as if it was some sort of consolation.

I already had a tentative plan to get a hair transplant and proceeded a short while after. The crude open harvest punch graft techniques from those days meant that the hair in the donor area had to be kept long to conceal the scarring. Going to a hair dresser was no longer an option as I was afraid of the donor getting cut too short and exposing the scarring, nor did I want the embarrassment of explaining my situation to a hairdresser. I learned to cut my own hair after that and with practice became reasonably competent at it. My father had a full head of hair and used to cut his own (he didn't trust barbers) so I had some insight about what to do.

Fast forward to today and I've got a reasonable head of hair after having several more transplants and got the old punch graft scarring repaired using beard hair. I could start using a hairdresser again but I still don't have complete confidence in them, so I prefer to keep doing it myself. The good thing about doing it yourself is that it's cheap, you don't get any nasty surprises and your on-call 24 hrs a day if you ever feel the need for a slight trim.

swingline747

My Regimen
Reaction score
I think I might hold the record on this one.......last haircut in a salon was about 30 years ago. LOL

I had a similar experience to you (on my last haircut). The female hair dresser remarked during the haircut that "I would be polishing it soon" which left me squirming with embarrassment. She then remarked that her brother was in a similar situation "but much worse" as if it was some sort of consolation.

I already had a tentative plan to get a hair transplant and proceeded a short while after. The crude open harvest punch graft techniques from those days meant that the hair in the donor area had to be kept long to conceal the scarring. Going to a hair dresser was no longer an option as I was afraid of the donor getting cut too short and exposing the scarring, nor did I want the embarrassment of explaining my situation to a hairdresser. I learned to cut my own hair after that and with practice became reasonably competent at it. My father had a full head of hair and used to cut his own (he didn't trust barbers) so I had some insight about what to do.

Fast forward to today and I've got a reasonable head of hair after having several more transplants and got the old punch graft scarring repaired using beard hair. I could start using a hairdresser again but I still don't have complete confidence in them, so I prefer to keep doing it myself. The good thing about doing it yourself is that it's cheap, you don't get any nasty surprises and your on-call 24 hrs a day if you ever feel the need for a slight trim.

how THE HELL do you do the back. I have trouble just neatening the neck line when I cant make to the hair cutter

reuters

Established Member
Reaction score
I have lovely hairdresser who loves chatting and make me happy while she du my 1mm buzzcut that i am sure can be done in 5 minutes but take her 30 minutes to complete:)

I tried to do it myself, but the neck and the cleaning makes it so much easier to pay a few euros and see it as a bi-weekly treat.

blackg

Reaction score
I

That female hair dresser is probably now feeling the effects of mother nature, herself.

Pelopeleon

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
2009 too. I started to grow my hair long, but at the same time, my temples had begun to increase.

I had believed that the hair dresser was bad at her work, cutting the hair of young folks with uneven patterns...

Actually, my temples had grown, so having my hair cut showed a lot of my forehead hahaha.

Oscar66

Established Member
Reaction score
Probably 2016. I had kept my hair longer, so to get it cut right I'd go to the barber shop. I was wearing hats everywhere, even up to the moment I'd get my hair cut. I'd avoid looking in the mirror, and avoid the "Here take a look at the back. Is that OK?" because I'd catch a glimpse of my balding crown. Since then I cut it short enough to use clippers. I was in the Army and used clippers to get a "high and tight", so that's where I keep it now. No more long hair...waup waup waup...

Chromedome1990

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
how THE HELL do you do the back. I have trouble just neatening the neck line when I cant make to the hair cutter
Same question here, how can you do your neck line ?

I'm just still getting to the barbershop...but completely high to avoid lucidity
I just stand in front of a mirror with a handheld mirror in one hand to see the back. It works pretty well.

Roberto_72

My Regimen
Reaction score
wow your hair is thinning quite a bit, such a shame since you look young," and I just sat there, aghast. I already knew at this point I w

that "I would be polishing it soon"

I had believed that the hair dresser was bad at her work,

I noticed that hair dressers have no trouble to underline you are thinning.
I think they do that because you need to understand your hair will look like crap even if they work with it.

In fact, once a barber told me that one of his customers had ruined his day by screaming in the shop that the new haircut was all wrong, whereas the problem was that “the poor guy was staring to go bald and the haircut revealed just that”

BalderBaldyBald

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I think they do that because you need to understand your hair will look like crap even if they work with it.

In fact, once a barber told me that one of his customers had ruined his day by screaming in the shop that the new haircut was all wrong, whereas the problem was that “the poor guy was staring to go bald and the haircut revealed just that”

Yep, classic denial reaction, we all been through that, but i was screaming internally that memorable day

Wolf Pack

My Regimen
Reaction score

Although sometimes a barber can be insensitive (like any other person), usually it's our insecurity which amplifies the issue. A barber's job is to comment on your hairstyle, thickness, balding e.t.c. It's a bit like going to a Doctor and wondering why he's talking about your health in general, it's not really an intrusion with the right delivery. Barber also has a vested interest in his clients keeping their hair full, otherwise he simply won't get business.

Most the top end barbers have guys with a full head of hair or very close to it and who regularly cut their hair. Anyone with advanced loss (high receded hairline, diffuse, bald at the back) simply clips their hair at home unless it's older men who still traditionally prefer the barber to do it. When I go to a new place, they have asked several times do you cut every 2 weeks or monthly. They encourage people to keep it on point which serves both parties well. And yes, you can't style it well with balding (as we all know) and it can reflect on their work badly.

I'm grateful to my old barber because I remember him telling me in my mid 20s, your hair is really good but I think your temples may go, there are things you can do to stop it or have surgery. I was initially frustrated and embarrassed, but he contributed towards me eventually looking up hair solutions. The follow up conversation quickly tells you if the guy means well or if he's actually trying to assert his authority as the better one or coping about his own balding/ageing. The latter two are rare, it's usually not personal as he doesn't really know you or care enough to dissect it further.

michel sapin

My Regimen
Reaction score
I am afraid of the day where my barber will tell me that I am noticeably balding , and that there are treatment available for that .
I am really avoiding haircut right now .
Because I will have to reveal that I am already taking them for 5 years .... with no sucess .

BalderBaldyBald

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I am afraid of the day where my barber will tell me that I am noticeably balding , and that there are treatment available for that .
I am really avoiding haircut right now .
Because I will have to reveal that I am already taking them for 5 years .... with no sucess .

If you're balding for 5 years and your haircutter still doesn't notice it...well that's a kind of success to me

Heinrich Harrer

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Ah yes, haircuts. I remember. Probably 2014. It seemed a bit awkward to pay in order to have my entire head buzzed and the whole floor filled with white flakes from my dermatitis. I bought myself a nice Panasonic and have been buzzing ever since. I did shave sometimes but no matter what it’s just plain awful. Unless you’re a Caucasian god or black.

disfiguredyoungman

My Regimen
Reaction score

To be fair, a good haircut would mask balding not reveal it.

BalderBaldyBald

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
To be fair, a good haircut would mask balding not reveal it.

It depends, mostly on your hairline status, for diffuse patterns it can be even more complicated.

And the more you try to hide it with a specific haircut, the more it will be end up badly and worse (my personal experience though)