When You Wish You Had Other People's Problems

Roberto_72

My Regimen
Reaction score
I don't deny there is indeed residual sexism in the workplace (well, not in mine, because my boss is a woman; my last job's boss was a woman too).

But I find it absurd that some people still think they are hindered in their way to success because think they have too good hair, or too attractive features.

I think it is particularly offensive because the solution to their problem is actually making their hair different, which is something we "others" will never be able to do: ugly down.

This was on the homepage of the BBC (not precisely the daily mail) some days ago:
_97718988_976xblonder.jpg

http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-41082939

100 Women: ‘I dye my hair brown to be taken more seriously at work’
By Sarah Buckley and Amelia Butterly
A Silicon Valley CEO reveals her secret to getting ahead in business - dyeing her blonde hair brow

Eileen Carey is a successful CEO, in her early 30s, with glasses and brown hair.

But she didn't always look the way she does now.

"The first time I dyed my hair was actually due to advice I was given by a woman in venture capital," she says.

Carey was told that the investors she was pitching to would feel more comfortable dealing with a brunette, rather than a blonde woman.

"I was told for this raise [of funds], that it would be to my benefit to dye my hair brown because there was a stronger pattern recognition of brunette women CEOs," she explains.

Pattern recognition is a theory which suggests people look for familiar experiences - or people - which in turn can make them feel more comfortable with the perceived risks they are taking.

When she had blonde hair, Eileen says she was likened to Elizabeth Holmes, whose company Theranos has been through a lot of controversy.

"Being a brunette helps me to look a bit older and I needed that, I felt, in order to be taken seriously," Carey says.

blackg

Reaction score
I can sympathise. Unfortunately we live in a world full of folks who get their social cues from pop culture.
Blonde means dittzy and pliable. Brunette means smart and focused.

Never expected too much in the way of thinking when it comes to dealing with the general public.

Roberto_72

My Regimen
Reaction score
"People are more likely to hit on me in a bar if I'm blonde. There's just that issue in general."

>tfw View attachment 63526

I wish i had her problem. I can't phantom how tiring having all those females hit on you is.
Can you imagine that?
'I have to grow my hair
As a shaved head I attract too many women in bars.'

These privileged people seem to never remember there is a fast, easy solution if you think you are too hot.
Wear jeans and a loose sweater, you are golden.

Roberto_72

My Regimen
Reaction score
I remember reading that piece a few days ago and discussing with my friend. It's like a movie scene, being able to do whatever to your hair to play any role!

:)

Also note the passive aggressive remark:

"Being a brunette helps me to look a bit older and I needed that, I felt, in order to be taken seriously,"

Brunette = OLDER?
WTF?

resu

Reaction score
Why is that the women that aren't that particular good looking think they're the most affected by cat-calling or job discrimination?

Now that people know she's a real blonde men just won't stop flirting with her, what a terrible thing that is.

LaurenandEileenphoto.png

Roberto_72

My Regimen
Reaction score
Why is that the women that aren't that particular good looking think they're the most affected by cat-calling or job discrimination?

Now that people know she's a real blonde men just won't stop flirting with her, what a terrible thing that is.

View attachment 63569
That's the girl? the blonde one?
OMG
5 / 10

N003

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
That's the girl? the blonde one?
OMG
5 / 10

And the left girl : 1/10

It's like real life:

80-90% of all people are average, maybe 10-20% are really very attractive people.

Just go to the street and look arrouned you:D:D

blackg

Reaction score

View attachment 63569
It is a terrible thing. Especially when that "flirting" becomes constant harassment.
Think about it, son. How would you like your *** being on the end of constant, persistent advances???
"Friendly" men always trying to penetrate your social defences.

Its no fun, believe me.

resu

Reaction score
It is a terrible thing. Especially when that "flirting" becomes constant harassment.
Think about it, son. How would you like your *** being on the end of constant, persistent advances???
"Friendly" men always trying to penetrate your social defences.

Its no fun, believe me.

There are anti-harassment laws.

blackg

Reaction score
There are anti-harassment laws.
Don't pull the old "anti harassment laws" trick.
We all know that on a day to day basis these patriarchal laws are very biased and a major inconvenience to pursue.
Not to mention... the reputation of the complainant will be called into question.
That's no on, son.

Why should the woman's reputation be called into question and not the desperate creepo making advances on the attractive, tired woman.
Women need more protection as it is against annoying, egotistical young (and older) men who don't know when to just shut the f*** up and just go home and have a good jerk-off session.
It works for me.

Leave these poor women alone.

Give it some thought.

resu

Reaction score
Don't pull the old "anti harassment laws" trick.
We all know that on a day to day basis these patriarchal laws are very biased and a major inconvenience to pursue.
Not to mention... the reputation of the complainant will be called into question.
That's no on, son.

Why should the woman's reputation be called into question and not the desperate creepo making advances on the attractive, tired woman.
Women need more protection as it is against annoying, egotistical young (and older) men who don't know when to just shut the f*** up and just go home and have a good jerk-off session.
It works for me.

Leave these poor women alone.

Give it some thought.

Alright then, good thing she managed to avoid all those issues by dyeing her hair brown and wearing glasses.

blackg

Reaction score
Alright then, good thing she managed to avoid all those issues by dyeing her hair brown and wearing glasses.
Yes the brown hair worked to a certain degree.
But still, she is being harassed by lonely, desperate, socially awkward and violent men of all ages. So I can only wish her well as she navigates these dangerous waters.
It's a struggle I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy, male or female.

EvilLocks

Reaction score
:)

Also note the passive aggressive remark:

"Being a brunette helps me to look a bit older and I needed that, I felt, in order to be taken seriously,"

Brunette = OLDER?
WTF?

She's in her early 30's, why on earth does she want to look older? That's for the 13 year-olds who have yet to hit puberty... Besides, looking old is in my opinion more than a set-back than an advantage in our professional lives. Youth = good health and endurance = long and productive work life.

Anyway, I don't think being a brunette makes you look older. Having the wrong hair style/color for your features/coloring on the other hand can age you quite a bit... I feel like black is the only hair color that can sometimes look a bit harsh and aging on white people if they're not very young. What I find to be the most aging on women especially are bangs and too short/too long hair cuts. Youth = freedom to do your hair however you want, but after 25-35 women are better off with medium length, no bangs, dirty blonde to dark brown (or red) hair (my opinion).

CopeForLife

My Regimen
Reaction score

View attachment 63569

both are super ugly... her opinion shouldn't be counted at all

Rudiger

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
In theory I don't disagree with any of the logic this woman used, even looking "older" which I agree is suspect but debatable.

However the blonde ditzy stereotype that some women get pigeonholed into depends on them being considerably more attractive than she is. I agree some blonde girls don't get taken seriously, however this woman is plain regardless of her hair colour, she's not getting stereotyped and she really shouldn't be making efforts to look older as that's happening naturally.

Another deluded average looking woman who probably got hit on once by a drunk middle aged guy at a staff party and then spends years telling the world how oppressed she is. Actual attractive women have the right to complain way more than this woman, about constant approaches, having their *** stared at, even slightly unnecessary physical contact, and they are way more understanding of the world and the male brain (to an extent, of course).

And then we have all the plains duds out there who get "harassed" once in a blue moon, and are actually resentful it doesn't happen more often. They are desperate to remind the world they can be admired as sexual beings too, not just the young hot blonde girls who are actually treasured by every man.

The woman in this topic is a regular Samantha Brick.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/a...-looking-pretty-Why-women-hate-beautiful.html