When Is The Right Time To Get A Hair System And When Did You Get One

ManinBlack

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I am not "bald" but I am NW3 going on 4 and very diffuse with thin hair on top. I don't think I am at the point yet where it would justify shaving it all off and getting a full hairpiece yet but the drugs don't seem to be working and my hairline looks quite bad. Just having maybe a small fringe hairpiece would help. When did you guys take the plunge?

Yagami

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I took the plunge more than 3 weeks ago when I discovered hair systems a week before. I'm exactly like you NW3 going 4 but I was fed up by all the work I've to do to have "an average" hair. I used to spend 20 to 30 minutes each morning hiding my bald spots with a concealer and styling it. My haircut was like nothing I wished it to be. My bio hair is quite dry and wavy and I never liked it. When I discovered hair systems it was a game changer. It did take me only 3 to 4 days to make the decision to order a stock system and 3 days after there it was between my hands, 1 day after and it was attached on my shaved head. I don't regret it one bit. The learning curve is steep, at least for me, but the reward of having a full head of premium quality hair is really worth it.

I would have paid 10x the price and I would still be satisfied. I would have discovered this 8-10 years ago I would still have taken the plunge.
Like I said, I used concealer (40$ per month) and Minoxidil (25$ per month), so for 3 months, it cost me 195$. My system costs me 150$ + 100$ for maintenance product that for some will last for a year. Some people here are able to keep their system for more than 6 months. All in all, my system costs less than what I used to pay for when I was balding.

The benefits of hair system for me:
  • Clean pillows that I don't have to wash every 2-3 days (I'm a morning showerer)
  • Boosted confidence
  • Not worrying about my hair look every time I'm walking on the street or when people are behind me
  • Not caring about the weather. Wind? Rain? Snow? bring it on, it looks even better lol
  • For the first time in 10 years, I'm able to swim in front of people and have my head under water without caring about the concealer washing off
  • Receiving compliments about my hair from others for the first time in my life. I even had some friends suggest some haircuts that would fit me right
  • People saying that I look 10 years younger
  • No more girls complain about having dirt in their nails in the morning because of the concealer. My fingernails are finally clean too and I don't have to clean my hands every now and then and I can now touch my hair whenever I want without caring about them turning black. I still have the reflex to look at my hands when I touch my hair lol
  • Waking in the morning with people around without having to keep a low profile, walking back against the wall reaching to the bathroom
  • Have you ever been in a convertible while wearing a concealer? or been in a car with an air flow that messes your hairstyle and you have to complain so your hair doesn't budge? Well that is no more the case for me anymore
  • How about caps? No more cap for me too. I used to wear it every time I don't have time to take a shower, apply the concealer and style my hair. Which mean every time after the work and when I'm on holiday with friends or family
  • People giving me more attention than before, mostly from the opposite sex
  • I'm a big fan of virtual reality and I organize a lot of parties at home with friends to test my new games or discover the technology, but I tend to never wear the headset in their presence or it will turn black
  • and the list goes on and on and on...
The disadvantages:
  • Having to buy some hairstyling products and tools
  • Having to re-learn how to style my hair
  • The learning curve and headaches I had during this 3 weeks to learn everything so I can do it myself without relying on a salon
  • Bonds that don't work because of my body chemistry, but once I find the good one it'll be history
  • That's it, I can't think of any other disadvantage, and they are all temporary expect for the hairstyling products
I hope that helps,
Yagami

Bigbone

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm a Norwood 2.5 with diffuse thinning and I got one a month ago. I guess it all comes down to how much your hair loss makes you suffer. If you're fine with your current hair then wait.

I'm only trying it out atm, I'm still on finasteride and I have not ruled out a hair transplant. It's not permanent and for me, it's easier on my mind to have some hair left beneath the system in case this goes to sh*t. So far I like it and surprisingly I spend way less time on my hair overall but there are obviously some downsides as well. Time will tell if I stick with it or not.

matt0135

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Honestly if you're going to do it, do it sooner than later. You know the direction its going in, I was in denial myself for many years. The sh*t I was pulling to make my natural hair look "decent" was absolutely worse than the maintenance I need to do to keep my system looking good. Like Yagami said, no worries about concealers coming off in the shower or pool, no powdery pillows (FML I would flip the pillow real quick after I was with my ex- she knew but it was still something you don't want her to see lol)

If you've been able to maintain a good hair look, that you're not perceived as balding, then go for it and don't delay. The custom systems take time to come in. Like Noah says, start with a covered hair line look, get used to the maintenance, experiment with glues, tapes, etc. Then move into exposed or semi-exposed hairlines as your confidence grows.

It's more of a visual illusion at the hairline I find. The glue and/or tape must be excellent in order to pass. If the hairline is flawless, you'll never need to be worried.

Noah

Reaction score
Yeah, I agree with Yagami and Matt - now is a good time. Once people start to perceive you as bald, you will start to get a lot of awkward questions when you correct your hairloss, especially from the guys who are still balding. Better to do it before that, so the transition is seamless. I would say keep using concealers as long as you can, but make the switch when you start to notice they are no longer working, but before anyone else notices. Of course, it follows from this advice that you will end up buzzing off some hair, but it is a price worth paying to get a stealth transition. It's not as if there is any chance of your hairloss reversing itself.

Mystery411

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Lol at the Toppik stories. I soooo understand you guys. Anyhow, Toppik was a godsend, back when I had thinning hair, and a decent hairline. I used it for 10 years! However, it used to take me just a minute or two, back when I started, to get my hair to look awesome. Now. I have to spend an hour, and do various combing tricks, to minimize the transparency when standing in front of a harsh light. Soo...I had to accept that I was going bald, and move onto a hair system before it became noticeable. I spoke to noah, a few months ago (who was beyond helpful. Much respect!), and did tons of research (and made some great friends too). I bought 3 units from Toplace. The first was my “transitional/experimental” piece. No joke, I just made partial pieces with it (mainly to fill out the top portion of my scalp). My first attempt was horrible lol. I was terrible with the tape. However, I finally figured it out. I mixed the unit and toppik, because I felt too scared to just go all in. I also used extra hold hair spray. I kept it on for a week, and had minimal side effects (some itching the 3rd day).
I then went full throttle. I also felt very comfortable and confident with the bond (no shine walker tape), so I invested in an alcohol free hairspray. It’s good enough to style my hair and even give it decent hold (great for keeping wandering hands off lol). I don’t have an exposed hairline (just partially exposed), so the tape works for me, and it makes cleaning so much easier. Several weeks later, I’m loving these units (I alternate between 2, and do my own cut-ins and styling). I spend less than an hour a week (the same amount of time I’d spend with the Toppik - washing it off/reapplying once a week), yet my hair looks so much better!
And that’s my story.

IHadSexWithAHairPiece

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Never. Hair pieces are a gigantic waste of money and time, can cause massive psychological issues, they look absolutely ridiculous and the adhesives can lead to a nice case of dermatitis with monthly flare ups. Embrace your baldness, buzz and improve the rest of your face and body if you are so concerned. Google Mike Thurston for example.

Noah

Reaction score
If you are shagging your hair system, that could explain your massive psychological issues, and also the dermatitis. You're meant to stick them on your bald spot.

IHadSexWithAHairPiece

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
If you are shagging your hair system, that could explain your massive psychological issues, and also the dermatitis. You're meant to stick them on your bald spot.

I wore a hair piece before you even heard of it. I guarantee you that. The fact you are shilling those ridiculous pieces for profit has nothing to do with the cold hard facts I just outlined for our friend. He deserves to know both sides of the coin doesn’t he? Psychological issues is an area you don’t want us to go considering you glue a dead squirrel on your head once a month.

IHadSexWithAHairPiece

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Baldbearded you look phenomenal, thanks for your vote of confidence. God forbid someone says it like it is, you get triggered faster than it takes for the adhesive to dry.

Noah

Reaction score
I wore a hair piece before you even heard of it. I guarantee you that. The fact you are shilling those ridiculous pieces for profit has nothing to do with the cold hard facts I just outlined for our friend. He deserves to know both sides of the coin doesn’t he? Psychological issues is an area you don’t want us to go considering you glue a dead squirrel on your head once a month.

Just messin wid ya. Actually I agree: it's good for people to hear both sides, especially if it's from someone who has actually worn a piece. I also agree that if you can learn to love your baldness that's the best solution (with or without the "improved" face and the big muscles). Unfortunately not all of us can achieve that nirvana. The fact we are on this forum by definition means we haven't achieved it. So we have to move onto the next question - what is our best alternative option?

I do take issue with the "for profit" though. I'm just a punter; I'm not in the business, and I have no financial stake.

When did you wear your piece, and what kind did you wear? Have you considered the possibility that the technology may have moved on since then? Because I have seen a lot of guys who have opted for hair systems, and whilst they may not be a perfect solution, they certainly don't "look absolutely ridiculous".

BaldBearded

My Regimen
Reaction score
@Manninblack as you will see, based on the many posts on this forum, there are indeed positives and negatives to wearing a hair system. I think you should at least give it a go, and see how it works out for you. If you like the results and can live with the maintenance and experience, then good on you. If you decide to buzz or shave your head, that's an option. The option to do nothing, and just embrace it as a part of growing older, that's an option as well. I have done, all three, and don't regret any of those decisions.

I am having a lot of fun with it, truly. And that should be a part of it, have fun with it!

IHadSexWithAHairPiece

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Just messin wid ya. Actually I agree: it's good for people to hear both sides, especially if it's from someone who has actually worn a piece. I also agree that if you can learn to love your baldness that's the best solution (with or without the "improved" face and the big muscles). Unfortunately not all of us can achieve that nirvana. The fact we are on this forum by definition means we haven't achieved it. So we have to move onto the next question - what is our best alternative option?

I do take issue with the "for profit" though. I'm just a punter; I'm not in the business, and I have no financial stake.

When did you wear your piece, and what kind did you wear? Have you considered the possibility that the technology may have moved on since then? Because I have seen a lot of guys who have opted for hair systems, and whilst they may not be a perfect solution, they certainly don't "look absolutely ridiculous".

Breathable lace with custom hair color and density to match mine. Once a month in a proper clinic for it to be cleaned, dyed, my scalp received treatment with oils, sauna, massage, hair cut on sides and back, then replacement. Three types of base. A hard one that doesn’t let the scalp breathe (probably for cancer patients, there were a lot of old women in the clinic), a second one which is the one you will see most of the times today (skin color match, breathable, knots) and a third one which lasts only about six months or less and is very thin, breathable, transparent, custom knots and so on. The sad fact is that the hair piece industry won’t really improve in those areas apart from the hair itself. The base and adhesives are a nightmare, they are primitive. All jokes aside I know what it feels to wear one but it’s not something you advise unless it’s a last resort. What comes in must come out eventually and the thought of him going from hair to bald is going to be frustrating as hell. It’s best not to put him through that. If circumstances allow it and if he is open about it everywhere then ok. But to keep it secret? Absolutely no. I remember some friends I went holidays with, I literally never really slept. I was half asleep because god forbid one of them tries to mess with me or accidentally mess with my hair (talking about ages 19-20). I had a nightmare weekend with a girl once and eventually threw it away. Had to go abroad for a year just so that my story would be acceptable. I’m a nw5 now, blessed with good looks but yes bald is bald. Rather be bald than this though, which is why I wanted to warn him. Nobody warned me back then, instead they lured me into that fake crap.

matt0135

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm 25 .Been balding since I was 16. The system clearly didn't work for you as it's not for everyone .

If you don't do maintenance it's going to look bad. Maintenance for me is leave in conditioner and redo hairline every week.

Have not had issues with ladies- I just ask them not to touch my hair too much. If we're more serious I will tell them. Never has it been an issue.

Was I a little worried about detectability? Sometimes yes but I am a relatively knew wearer and I'm still not a pro. Just returned from a camping trip and honestly no issues :). Got laid to boot .oh, also a compliment that my hair has nice natural volume . Haha

IHadSexWithAHairPiece

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm 25 .Been balding since I was 16. The system clearly didn't work for you as it's not for everyone .

If you don't do maintenance it's going to look bad. Maintenance for me is leave in conditioner and redo hairline every week.

Have not had issues with ladies- I just ask them not to touch my hair too much. If we're more serious I will tell them. Never has it been an issue.

Was I a little worried about detectability? Sometimes yes but I am a relatively knew wearer and I'm still not a pro. Just returned from a camping trip and honestly no issues :). Got laid to boot .oh, also a compliment that my hair has nice natural volume . Haha

You didn’t get laid. The desperate “Haha” at the end gave it up. Nice try though.

Noah

Reaction score
You seem rather bitter, IHSWAH. You are the one who sounds like he's not getting laid. I'm guessing the face'n'body improvement plan isn't going as well as you were hoping.

Bf20

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hair system are for cucks and cucks only .
Man up.

matt0135

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
You didn’t get laid. The desperate “Haha” at the end gave it up. Nice try though.

The chick who made that comment earlier in the day ended up hooking up with me the same night... hence the haha, but sure man if it makes you sleep better at night thinking I didn't get laid, no problem lol.