When Does finasteride Kicks In On Diffuse Thinners?

vegetassj

Established Member
Reaction score
Anyone with diffuse thinning took finasteride? When can I expect results.

This is no thread talking about side effects :)

Thanks bros

bluecyclone

My Regimen
Reaction score
5 months nothing so far, hair feels much thinner still shedding. Might just be a bad responder.

el_duterino

Reaction score
I'd say after 2 weeks you could starting feeling the base of the hair shafts getting thicker by running your fingers and pressing the hair that should give you an indication of a good response

You need to add minoxidil as well this will help too

bluecyclone

My Regimen
Reaction score
@el_duterino would you bail if hair has gotten measurably worse or press on? It looks like my hair got fried since starting Finasteride, even the sides and back have a different texture than before and I continue to shed clumps of hair. I feel like I’ve tried all but Duta and not even considering based on my response to Finasteride. Miserable. Anyone that has seen my head when I first panicked until now will see I’m on a path from thick thick black hair to diffuse bald in 3-4 years.

vegetassj

Established Member
Reaction score
I'd say after 2 weeks you could starting feeling the base of the hair shafts getting thicker by running your fingers and pressing the hair that should give you an indication of a good response

You need to add minoxidil as well this will help too

minoxidil since 5 years, tried lots of topicals during the last 2-3 years even finasteride topical.
Nothing helped so far, I want a fue but need finasteride oral to work or I am doomed

mannyFJ

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
5 months nothing so far, hair feels much thinner still shedding. Might just be a bad responder.
same and i'm experiencing miniaturization...i got a couple of months away from being on finasteride 1 year marker...my hair density has been loss by over 50% mainly at top, Telogen Effluvium

Splatt

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Some say that after finasteride or dutasteride doesn’t work than down stream of dht are things like seti and fevi

Charlie Foxtrot

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
@mannyFJ @bluecyclone

Did you guys really shed a lot of hair with diffuse thinning pre finasteride? I feel like I’m in the same boat, my hair still looks ok now and I don’t want a finasteride induced shed to ruin everything.

On the other hand. I shed so much hair, if I don’t do anything I’ll be bald anyway so might just risk it and try?

mannyFJ

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
@mannyFJ @bluecyclone

Did you guys really shed a lot of hair with diffuse thinning pre finasteride? I feel like I’m in the same boat, my hair still looks ok now and I don’t want a finasteride induced shed to ruin everything.

On the other hand. I shed so much hair, if I don’t do anything I’ll be bald anyway so might just risk it and try?
Pre finasteride i hardly shed or it wasnt noticable but now on finasteride its a lot of shed and miniaturization....after tapering down on finasteride i shed a lot less but still dealing with density lost from finasteride. I have growth since going back on minoxidil. I had no other choice to go on minoxidil since finasteride ruined my hair

Soundgarden24

My Regimen
Reaction score
@mannyFJ @bluecyclone

I’m in the same boat. Been a persistent shedder for about 3 or 4 years and my density is getting worse and worse, and whilst there is a fear of a finasteride-induced shed, if I do nothing I think i’ll be fucked anyway.

Picking up a prescription today and plan to start tonight.

Along with constant shedding, I have an itch on both my temples I hope finasteride can combat.

Charlie Foxtrot

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Pre finasteride i hardly shed or it wasnt noticable but now on finasteride its a lot of shed and miniaturization....after tapering down on finasteride i shed a lot less but still dealing with density lost from finasteride. I have growth since going back on minoxidil. I had no other choice to go on minoxidil since finasteride ruined my hair
That hits hard mate.. Taking something with the hope of stopping the hairloss, but actually accelerating it is fucked up! I hope you can at least get your old density back with the minoxidil. Any idea how this happened? Is your body sensitive to AA or something?

I’m in the same boat. Been a persistent shedder for about 3 or 4 years and my density is getting worse and worse, and whilst there is a fear of a finasteride-induced shed, if I do nothing I think i’ll be fucked anyway.

Along with constant shedding, I have an itch on both my temples I hope finasteride can combat.
Sounds about like my situation indeed, only for me it’s been a year instead of 3 to 4. I really hope you get some decent results on fina and good to hear you got the courage to finally try something! Keep me up to date will you? Curious about your experience on it.

And yes, while I’m scared of a finasteride induced shed as well, im already shedding tons of hair now and seeing miniaturization. If we don’t do anything we’re done for either way. Think it’s better to just try and see for ourself, then to be thinking later on in life ‘what if I just tried it?’.

Soundgarden24

My Regimen
Reaction score
That hits hard mate.. Taking something with the hope of stopping the hairloss, but actually accelerating it is fucked up! I hope you can at least get your old density back with the minoxidil. Any idea how this happened? Is your body sensitive to AA or something?

Sounds about like my situation indeed, only for me it’s been a year instead of 3 to 4. I really hope you get some decent results on fina and good to hear you got the courage to finally try something! Keep me up to date will you? Curious about your experience on it.

And yes, while I’m scared of a finasteride induced shed as well, im already shedding tons of hair now and seeing miniaturization. If we don’t do anything we’re done for either way. Think it’s better to just try and see for ourself, then to be thinking later on in life ‘what if I just tried it?’.

Yeah man, I’ll keep you updated. And thank you, I hope I see something positive too.

That’s exactly it. Even though my hair loss has occurred for years, because I had thick long hair I’ve been able to conceal the thinning quite well by getting shorter and shorter haircuts, but the shedding just never stops.. it’s been the last few weeks where I’ve really thought ‘f*** this’. I’d rather do the drastic, which I perceive as taking finasteride, than never know what might have been.

I bought a pill cutter so I’ll try either 0.25 or 0.5 tonight and see how I get on.

mannyFJ

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

See that’s the odd thing, my scalp itch burning sensation started after being several months on finasteride and scalp was see thru from shed and crown was hardly bad but super bad due to finasteride and my temple looks horrid as well but im glad its filling back in. Minoxidil always worked great for me as it accelerates hair growth while finasteride accelerates hairloss and slow growth for me. Good luck on the finasteride. Hope you are a good responder to it. I am only using finasteride as a topical now...it’s mixed in with my minoxidil.

mannyFJ

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

It possibly induced Telogen Effluvium for me or sensitivity to AA.