when do cortisol, testosterone, and HGH peak during exercise

CCS

Reaction score
OK, glycogen is in the muscles. and maybe the liver. Now, If I do cardio and use up all my leg glycogen, would my legs get glycogen from my arms, or just turn to burning fat first?

hair today gone tomorrow

Reaction score
collegechemistrystudent said:
OK, glycogen is in the muscles. and maybe the liver. Now, If I do cardio and use up all my leg glycogen, would my legs get glycogen from my arms, or just turn to burning fat first?

when you are lifting heavy...your total glycogen in your body will be low...at this point your body is starving....the best thign to do is maybe have a handful of raisins...or maybe a quick protien shake and do your 12-15 mins of cardio....this way your not wasting time on cardio just to BURN GLYGOGEN....your body will begin burning fat.

CCS

Reaction score
http://www.fitnessforoneandall.com/powe ... rt_one.htm

says here that only glucose, not fructose, can be used to restore glycogen. wonder if that is true. I know fructose is a smaller ring, and glycogen is a string of glucoses.

Also, you muscles can hold 250-400 grams of glycogen, whereas your liver only holds 100g. So after a full upper body workout, you probably need at least 200 grams of carbs, or 800 calories, to replenish your glycogen. But it takes time to replenish it, so you want to do this gradually over 2-3 hours. Any spill over goes to fat.

so my orange juice post workout was not the best. this guy recommends maltodextrin.

CCS

Reaction score
it says the liver can turn fructose to glycogen, but the muscles can't.

hair today gone tomorrow

Reaction score
http://www.fitnessforoneandall.com/powerlifting/article/diet/post-workout/part_one.htm

says here that only glucose, not fructose, can be used to restore glycogen. wonder if that is true. I know fructose is a smaller ring, and glycogen is a string of glucoses.

Also, you muscles can hold 250-400 grams of glycogen, whereas your liver only holds 100g. So after a full upper body workout, you probably need at least 200 grams of carbs, or 800 calories, to replenish your glycogen. But it takes time to replenish it, so you want to do this gradually over 2-3 hours. Any spill over goes to fat.

so my orange juice post workout was not the best. this guy recommends maltodextrin.

raisins are good too

hair today gone tomorrow

Reaction score
it says the liver can turn fructose to glycogen, but the muscles can't.

ur reading into things too much man...just lift...eat...and rest...simple...

Its hilarious how you try to go into too much depth with everything.

CCS

Reaction score
I'm still not sure about the timing of cardio, but the maltodextrin sounds good.

My workouts and my diet are very good, I think. My only problem is I'm not drinking a lot of water, and eating maybe only 5 x a day, not evenly spaced, and the sun keeps waking me up at 6 when I go to bed at 12. So those could be messing up my gains, and I'll try to fix those. But I'm really interested in post workout recovery.

I read that muscles are most willing to grow during the first 2 hours after a workout, but people who eat a regular meal right after the workout won't get any nutrients to their mucles for another 2 hours because of digestion time.

hair today gone tomorrow

Reaction score
I'm still not sure about the timing of cardio, but the maltodextrin sounds good.

My workouts and my diet are very good, I think. My only problem is I'm not drinking a lot of water, and eating maybe only 5 x a day, not evenly spaced, and the sun keeps waking me up at 6 when I go to bed at 12. So those could be messing up my gains, and I'll try to fix those. But I'm really interested in post workout recovery.

I read that muscles are most willing to grow during the first 2 hours after a workout, but people who eat a regular meal right after the workout won't get any nutrients to their mucles for another 2 hours because of digestion time.

shake right after workout with lets say 50grams of protein...wait 45mins have a nice meal...with complex carbs.

id try to get a good 8hrs of sleep in.

CCS

Reaction score
http://www.extension.iastate.edu/nutrit ... drate.html

it says here that muscles can't borrow glycogen from other muscles. So if I do long cardio, I don't have to worry about my upper body getting eaten by my leg muscles.

in order to burn fat at all, you need cortisol, right? I think it is highest in the morning because you've been living on fat all night.

But to burn fat, you need reduced glycogen levels.

OK, so I do long cardio to burn off the glycogen. Or do some first thing in the morning. Either way, I need the cortisol. I think the intensity of the cardio determines if the body just uses fat, or needs to grab protein as well.

I think I'll eat first thing in the morning, so my upper body muscles get their glycogen back. Then I'll do 20 minutes of HIIT with my lower body, on a bike or incline tread mill, or get a few sets of hams in there. Then I'll take some branch chain amino acids and glutamine in a drink, and do another 30 minutes of steady paced fat burn at 60% my max heart rate. Maybe even go longer than 30 minutes. Then I'll take my time, drink water, take 3-4g of hydrolysed whey protein, and finally my post workout drink to get my glycogen back up. But it will be a small drink, followed by a meal.

actually, I'll do this later in the day, so it is as far away as possible from my upper body workout from the previous day.

OK, I'm content now. And I know what to drink after my weights session.
I'm going to go to the gym and see if I can even bench 95 pounds with my arms tucked.