when do cortisol, testosterone, and HGH peak during exercise

CCS

Reaction score
I read that
1. cortisol levels start becoming a problem after 45 minutes of exercise
2. testosterone peaks between 45 minutes and 1 hour 15 minutes
3. HGH gets a big pus after 10 minutes above the lactic threshold.

At first, I though I should plan 45 minute workouts that have a good burn during the last 10-15 minutes.

But now I question those numbers. Surely these times vary with exercise intensity. 45 minutes of light workout can't make as much testosterone or cortisol as 45 minute of heavy workout. It is like saying you burn up your glycogen in 30 minutes. The more muscle groups you use, and the more intensity, the faster it gets used up.

So then what are the best intensities/times for minimizing cortisol, maximizing testosterone/HGH, and finishing before all glycogen is gone?

Hairy, do you know?

hair today gone tomorrow

Reaction score
Re: when do cortisol, testosterone, and HGH peak during exer

collegechemistrystudent said:
I read that
1. cortisol levels start becoming a problem after 45 minutes of exercise
2. testosterone peaks between 45 minutes and 1 hour 15 minutes
3. HGH gets a big pus after 10 minutes above the lactic threshold.

At first, I though I should plan 45 minute workouts that have a good burn during the last 10-15 minutes.

But now I question those numbers. Surely these times vary with exercise intensity. 45 minutes of light workout can't make as much testosterone or cortisol as 45 minute of heavy workout. It is like saying you burn up your glycogen in 30 minutes. The more muscle groups you use, and the more intensity, the faster it gets used up.

So then what are the best intensities/times for minimizing cortisol, maximizing testosterone/HGH, and finishing before all glycogen is gone?

Hairy, do you know?

If you are working out and pushing yourself...you shouldnt be in the gym longer than 1 hour....after that it starts to become counterproductive at least thats what the studies say.

But dont fret too much about this...i mean being there 1hr and 15mins is NOT gonna make much of a difference at all....

I used to know guys that would spend hours at gym and still made gains...obv. they weren't going all out for the whole time but still.

CCS

Reaction score
I just now read that weight lifting produces testosterone, whereas aerobics are the bigger cortisol producer, and can reduce testosterone.

So this article says to keep the aerobics short (30-45 minutes) but do the weight lifting for 45-75 minutes.

The intensity is probably whatever is optimal. People can guess what optimal intensity is.

CCS

Reaction score
is it just the three branch chain amino acids that get turned into sugar?

I just read that if you drink a high glycemic source of carbs to replenish your glycogen, it shuts cortisol levels down. So do your workout, sip juice during it if you are really worried, or just down the juice after the workout.

I wonder how many calories of glycogen muscles can hold when they are full. Is it close to 600 calories?

hair today gone tomorrow

Reaction score
I just now read that weight lifting produces testosterone, whereas aerobics are the bigger cortisol producer, and can reduce testosterone.

So this article says to keep the aerobics short (30-45 minutes) but do the weight lifting for 45-75 minutes.

The intensity is probably whatever is optimal. People can guess what optimal intensity is.

yah its true...that there is a test. spike when you workout...there were threads here bout guys saying working out can increase hair loss.

You obv. know at the conclusion of the workout your test well go back to baseline.

CCS

Reaction score
http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/drobson28.htm

Now I'm reading the HGH is maxed with intense, 10-30 minute sessions.
Testosterone is not suppressed by aerobic exercise until after 45 minutes. But HGH is not released as much if you do 45 minutes. So intense, 30 minute sessions seem to be key. It also suggests multiple 10 minute sessions in a day (HIIT).

160 BPM is definitely above the lactic threshold for most people.

CCS

Reaction score
it says you make most of your HGH and get your deep sleep during the first half of the night. What if someon sleeps from 1AM to 10AM. Does that mean they missed their deep sleep?

hair today gone tomorrow

Reaction score
http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/drobson28.htm

Now I'm reading the HGH is maxed with intense, 10-30 minute sessions.
Testosterone is not suppressed by aerobic exercise until after 45 minutes. But HGH is not released as much if you do 45 minutes. So intense, 30 minute sessions seem to be key. It also suggests multiple 10 minute sessions in a day (HIIT).

160 BPM is definitely above the lactic threshold for most people.

compound lifts...such as heavy deadlifts and squats are excercises which DO cause your body to release small amounts of hgh...but IMO its a very small amount....I really wouldnt fret about it as much as long as your getting to the gym and following your routine....consistency is the key!!

CCS

Reaction score
So my new program is:

Day 1: 3000 calories
*Mid morning, 30 minutes
Chest, tricepts. (8-9 sets for light, 5-6 sets for heavy)
Finish with pushups
*Mid afternoon, 30 minutes
Back, bicepts
Finish 30 minutes with rowing

Day 2: 3000 calories
11 minutes of leg HIIT, morning, afternoon, evening
abs in the morning

Day 3: 2500 calories
Rest/stretch

Day 4: 3000 calories
*mid morning, 30 minutes
Legs, weight room, abs
*mid afternoon, 30 minutes
Interval training cardio

and eat high glycemic stuff first thing in the morning, and after workouts, then slower burning carbs 6 meals per day the rest of the time, with 150 grams of protein spread out over those meals.

hair today gone tomorrow

Reaction score
So my new program is:

Day 1: 3000 calories
*Mid morning, 30 minutes
Chest, tricepts.
*Mid afternoon, 30 minutes
Back, bicepts

Day 2: 3000 calories
11 minutes of leg HIIT, morning, afternoon, evening
abs in the morning

Day 3: 2500 calories
Rest/stretch

Day 4: 3000 calories
*mid morning, 30 minutes
Legs, weight room, abs
*mid afternoon, 30 minutes
Interval training cardio

and eat high glycemic stuff first thing in the morning, and after workouts, then slower burning carbs 6 meals per day the rest of the time, with 150 grams of protein spread out over those meals.

mon: chest/ tri
tues: do your HIIT
wed: rest
thurs:back/bi
fri: legs
sat: rest
sun: rest

I think your better off following that routine....For me...it would be tough to do chest and tri in the morning and then go back in the afternoon to do back and biceps....better off doing them on different days.

Personally....i wouldn't even do the hiit....id do 15-20 mins of cardio right after your lifting....best time to burn fat since your glycogen levels are low and your body wont waste any time during carbohydrates since they were all used up during the workout.

CCS

Reaction score
I think cardio first thing in the morning, or after a workout, is bad. You want to do cardio when you have lots of glycogen, so you won't burn any muscle. You will burn fat after the cardio, when your body takes fat to make more glycogen. During that less intense period, it won't touch the muscle. If the cardio was short enough, there will not be enough cortisol to warrant any high glycemic foods.

Now after heavy lifting, I'm definitely drinking a lot of juice.

Like I said before, if I tuck my arms in by my waist, instead of flairing them out 90 degrees during bench press, I won't be able to work my chest much. I'll have to rely on other ways to work it. If I do cable pulls, which use the bicepts, then I might as well combine the bicept/back with the should/tricepts on the same day.

hair today gone tomorrow

Reaction score
I think cardio first thing in the morning, or after a workout, is bad. You want to do cardio when you have lots of glycogen, so you won't burn any muscle. You will burn fat after the cardio, when your body takes fat to make more glycogen. During that less intense period, it won't touch the muscle. If the cardio was short enough, there will not be enough cortisol to warrant any high glycemic foods.

Now after heavy lifting, I'm definitely drinking a lot of juice.

Like I said before, if I tuck my arms in by my waist, instead of flairing them out 90 degrees during bench press, I won't be able to work my chest much. I'll have to rely on other ways to work it. If I do cable pulls, which use the bicepts, then I might as well combine the bicept/back with the should/tricepts on the same day.

your wrong....that is the BEST time to do cardio...but you dont wanan over do it...keep it 10-15 mins long..

if you do it on a full stomach you wont burn fat...youll be burning carbs...it will take a lot more work to get into the fat burning zone.

Arnold used to run first thing when he got up in the morning...best time to burn fat.

Im not saying tuck them fully in...compromise....45deg is fine. Cable are not a great mass builder....you need to continually add weight to your compound lifts in order to gain size....that means squats, dips, pull ups, bench press...and so on....dont base your workout around isolations and cable excercises.

CCS

Reaction score
arnald is also not that bright and used steriods. Did you know you burn fat in your sleep? That is what you live on at night. This can be catabolic. Body builders wish they had an IV or something in them at night to protect their muscle. Running, especially after 9 hours of sleep, is just over kill. Yes, you will burn fat fast, but also muscle.

this is probably why cortisol is at its highest first thing in the morning.

hair today gone tomorrow

Reaction score
arnald is also not that bright and used steriods. Did you know you burn fat in your sleep? That is what you live on at night. This can be catabolic. Body builders wish they had an IV or something in them at night to protect their muscle. Running, especially after 9 hours of sleep, is just over kill. Yes, you will burn fat fast, but also muscle.

this is probably why cortisol is at its highest first thing in the morning.

arnold knew what he was doing..im not gonna argue..i know whats right and wrong...if you dont believe me ask harrie.

CCS

Reaction score
as long as you burn more than you eat, you will burn fat. Or rather you will lose weight.

How often you eat, and how much glycogen you have, and the intensity of energy output, will determine how much of that weight is fat, and how much is from glycogen.

Lets say you got some glycogen in your muscles, and you are doing some level of activity. Do you think your body will only take from the glycogen, and not touch any of the fat until all the glycogen is gone? I don't think so. There will be some ratio. You will burn glycogen, which means more work, but you won't lose muscle. It will be fat gone.

If you go on an empty stomach, you will burn muscle. And how much fat do you think you can burn in 10-15 minutes? 200 calories tops, if you really work hard?

hair today gone tomorrow

Reaction score
as long as you burn more than you eat, you will burn fat. Or rather you will lose weight.

How often you eat, and how much glycogen you have, and the intensity of energy output, will determine how much of that weight is fat, and how much is from glycogen.

Lets say you got some glycogen in your muscles, and you are doing some level of activity. Do you think your body will only take from the glycogen, and not touch any of the fat until all the glycogen is gone? I don't think so. There will be some ratio. You will burn glycogen, which means more work, but you won't lose muscle. It will be fat gone.

If you go on an empty stomach, you will burn muscle. And how much fat do you think you can burn in 10-15 minutes? 200 calories tops, if you really work hard?

its about optimizing your cardio....you can do it whenever...but there are better times to do it...

CCS

Reaction score
I know I lose a lot of weight when I sleep all day. Well maybe not a lot. But if I lay around 3 days in a row, I lose 5 pounds, and I bet half of it is muscle.

hair today gone tomorrow

Reaction score
I know I lose a lot of weight when I sleep all day. Well maybe not a lot. But if I lay around 3 days in a row, I lose 5 pounds, and I bet half of it is muscle.

no way....ccs listen to yourself...you tink you can lose 2.5 lbs of muscle over the course of 3 days? you dont lose size that quickly. In fact you will lose your strength before you lose your size.

CCS

Reaction score
the way I see it, if you got glycogen, and you are not doing like 180 BPM for 20 minutes, your muscles are safe from catabolism.

Now during cardio, probably 75% of my energy will come from glycogen, and 25% from fat. But metabolism stays high for 2 hours after cardio is over (if it was reasonably intense). I think that during that time after the cardio, the body takes fat and uses it to replenish the glycogen stores, gradually. You're not just out of energy until the next meal. Now if you don't eat for more than 3 hours, then it might turn to some muscle for energy.

Isn't it well documented that you burn a lot of fat around 60% your max heart rate? Isn't that considered the fat burning zone? Or is that only after a long time on the bike?

If I'm going to do a fat burn, I'm not going to do it for 9+ hours straight, with an intense ending. I think doing it first thing in the morning on an empty stomach is just that. You tell me if you think the body replenishes glycogen after a run by taking from fat stores. Maybe I'm wrong.

CCS

Reaction score