What's The Verdict On minoxidil Causing Skin Aging?

habababa42

My Regimen
Reaction score
Obviously, at this point everyone has heard of minoxidil causing damage to the skin. It seems it messes with collagen production. What's the ultimate verdict? The point is IMO skin is as important as hair, aging prematurely is a massive hit to your looks and should be taken care of. Anyone here has noticed visibily worse skin condition? Especially those who had clear skin before starting minoxidil.

Androgenic Alpaca

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I believe that it is confirmed that it may age skin through decrease of collagen, but its effects aren't that extreme. for instance, just being out in the sun a few hours everyday probably does more damage. (thats speculation though) use some retinoids to counteract this loss of collagen and I'd think that you'll be fine

JaneyElizabeth

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
You know what increases collagen? Collagen induction and some of us are already microneedling. I do my face too and it works great. I even had my face done formally in a salon just to see. Not cheap. $300 but eh, now I know doing it at home is fine plus they went deeper than I would.

blue16

My Regimen
Reaction score
Been using it for 6 months, the foam anyway, haven't noticed any effect on my skin at all. I'm guessing the oral version if much more likely to cause this side effect as it goes way more systemic than the topical version does.

I am careful to not let it run down my face, and make sure I don't get any second hand exposure on my skin as well. Not sure if this helps, but I'm sure it doesn't hurt either.

JaneyElizabeth

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Been using it for 6 months, the foam anyway, haven't noticed any effect on my skin at all. I'm guessing the oral version if much more likely to cause this side effect as it goes way more systemic than the topical version does.

I am careful to not let it run down my face, and make sure I don't get any second hand exposure on my skin as well. Not sure if this helps, but I'm sure it doesn't hurt either.
I have been using topical on my lashes and brows so I try to make sure that Rogaine doesn't drip/run down the face. I started oral minoxidil last week so I am trying to notice any undue hair growth besides the scalp. The skin under the eyes appears to be less robust and that might be one reason if this side-effect is pervasive among minoxidil users. @bridgeburn stated that he believed that being on HRT discouraged any undue hair growth in non-scalp areas but his arms did become much hairier. Laser removal works so well that I won't lose any sleep about hair growth besides on the scalp.

Selb

My Regimen
Reaction score
Haven’t noticed anything with rogaine foam. Been using for more than a year now. Some suggestions: don’t sleep on your pillow right after, make sure to keep moisturized and hydrated, if you notice anything stop using rogaine in large amounts

blue16

My Regimen
Reaction score
Haven’t noticed anything with rogaine foam. Been using for more than a year now. Some suggestions: don’t sleep on your pillow right after, make sure to keep moisturized and hydrated, if you notice anything stop using rogaine in large amounts

Exactly. I usually wait at least 10 minutes or so for it to fully dry before using my pillow. I usually do it before brushing teeth and other maintenance. By the time I'm done, it's more or less absorbed into the scalp.

I also try to wash my pillow as frequently as possible just in case there are small build ups over time.

A topical retinol a few times a week, and avoiding the sun are probably way better at preventing aging than micro amounts of Rogaine which might get on my skin from time to time. Even if there are tiny amounts that make contact with the facial skin over the years, I'm personally not too worried about it. Assuming one is careful with application and minimize absorption, I don't think it is enough minoxidil coming in contact with my face to make any significant difference.

Equal Rights

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I believe that it is confirmed that it may age skin through decrease of collagen, but its effects aren't that extreme. for instance, just being out in the sun a few hours everyday probably does more damage. (thats speculation though) use some retinoids to counteract this loss of collagen and I'd think that you'll be fine

Is retina-a and tretinoin creams the only things people like here? Any other popular retinoids? I have been using OM for 2.5m now and have yet to notice anything. But would like to take preventative measures. Taking collagen supplements and micro-needling the face before doing my scalp would probably be my go to.

@habababa42 If you are under 25 it will presumably affect your skin less as your collagen production is naturally high.

@JaneyElizabeth What depth did they use on your face, and what frequency or holes/cm^2? From what i have heard it should be different depth around different areas, curious how the clinic did it. Going to start doing it when my D2 arrives.

JaneyElizabeth

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Is retina-a and tretinoin creams the only things people like here? Any other popular retinoids? I have been using OM for 2.5m now and have yet to notice anything. But would like to take preventative measures. Taking collagen supplements and micro-needling the face before doing my scalp would probably be my go to.

@habababa42 If you are under 25 it will presumably affect your skin less as your collagen production is naturally high.

@JaneyElizabeth What depth did they use on your face, and what frequency or holes/cm^2? From what i have heard it should be different depth around different areas, curious how the clinic did it. Going to start doing it when my D2 arrives.
You think that I would have asked at the cosmetic and surgery center that I attend but I forgot. The machine that they used appeared to be certainly not a roller and I don't think that it was a pen either. It is very expensive and probably not worth the cost in a salon for most folks but I am trying most things for hair and beauty so that I can blog about them more coherently. It is also difficult when someone is using retin-A in addition to other facial treatments. It was $300 here in the DC suburbs and slightly more painful than derma-rolling my scalp or hair at home but also likely healthier but for most of us, that is just too much to spend. Recovery time for my face was much longer then when I do it facially at home and there also appeared to be more exfoliation then at home. I also did a chemically peel a couple of weeks after that for $75 and that appeared to be much less efficacious than the micro-needling.

Compared to the likely effects of botox on the masseter muscles, I would forgo salon treatment and have the masseter (chewing) muscles relaxed, which in one study indicated an improvement of 18% whatever that means. I have so many treatments and meds that it is all but impossible to tell what is working for me but it is almost certainly due to estrogen levels and before HRT due to finasteride and Min.

The results were great though but probably too subtle for a photograph even though I generally take meticulous pictures. I have a couple of bloody and I mean bloody pics from derma-rolling at home last year and it all looked much more painful than it was but it was still needlessly harsh in the short-term and along with spironolactone and Rob's harsh massage techniques probably cause a violent "benevolent" shed meaning spironolactone and the other mechanical treatments were working "too fast" cosmetically. That's why I have posted pics of the shed and the recovery.

Related to oral minoxidil, my expectation is that it begins working almost immediately on hair that we already have, while lagging six months to a year for hair regrowth at the hairline or in the crown. Most people who mention times of efficacy are talking about hair growth from slick bald or almost slick bald scalp and are not focused on the fringe areas. We also have to remember that females have up to three times or more of hair staying in the anagen phase compared to males. This in itself is likely to curtail the efficacy of any non-estrogen meds used by males as well as why "female" hair is much easier to grow long. Ultimately for me, it's the ability to grow my hair long that matters much more than actually wearing it long.

In terms of needles, I have and have used the five most common mm sizes from .75mm to 1.0 mm to 1.25 mm and then 1.5 mm. Now I am using 2.0 mm primarily based upon Rob's recommendations and bio-feedback. The 2.0 mm is better for people who still have substantial scalp coverage or longer hair or who derma-roll the entire scalp because it tangles much less in the hair.

When people ask how often, I would say one to four times per month and no more than eight times per month. Make sure that healing which usually takes 12 to 48 hrs is complete before rolling again. Derma-rolling is not a cure and it is a pain in the *** but for cis-males it is one of only a few things capable of at least temporary hair regrowth, along with finasteride/min. Derma-rolling also helps with the powerlessnss that comes from balding and not being able to do anything personally to halt it as so many guys ask if exercise will help halt balding which probably never works or if it does, not enough in terms of cosmetic improvement.

In terms of cosmetic improvement, there are essentially no treatments that appear to work for males that are non-hormonal in nature except for oral minoxidil and one hears more about oral minoxidil than one sees photographic evidence. Regular min and even together with dutasteride, rarely if ever results in cosmetic improvement but only maintenance which is still better than anything that exists going back to the late 80's when topical Rogaine came out.

Last edited:

Justheretohelp3

My Regimen
Reaction score
I think the minoxidil aging your face theory is such baloney.

It is not a reported side effect in clinical double blind placebo studies. It's been used for 30 years and only in the last 8 when that study came out have people been reporting these potential sides, but it's all hysteria online but there isn't much on it. Furthermore what people ignore is that study was reported in a cell culture, something completely different than in a human body. If this was an actual issue, we'd see way more on this than random posts here and there. We'd be hearing from hundreds of thousands of people online.

You will rarely find anyone come on and complain of additional wrinkles without finding that crap on the internet. They always read that first and THINK they got more wrinkles. That's called placebo effect. I've also seen pictures from people reporting these sides as 'abnormal' wrinkles for their age and they think that in late 20s, you wont have fine lines or wrinkles coming through.

It's also laughable that people will report it after being on it for years - obviously you will have aged since then but how do you attribute it to Minoxidil?

I've woken up some days and I have a deep wrinkle under my eyes and I'm not even on Minoxidil. Dehydration, lack of sleep, stress will do that to you. Luckily for me, they smoothed out after a couple of days.

Furthermore, we now know that 90% of aging comes from the SUN - UBV rays (which are strongest in the early afternoon) and UVA rays (which are consistent throughout the day and a lot of people don't realize this). So wear that SPF 30+ sunscreen, and wear it daily. Even in the winter with the snow out. And even on cloudy days. And even in the evenings when the sun is out or when you're sitting inside near a window.

You're welcome.

JaneyElizabeth

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
I think the minoxidil aging your face theory is such baloney.

It is not a reported side effect in clinical double blind placebo studies. It's been used for 30 years and only in the last 8 when that study came out have people been reporting these potential sides, but it's all hysteria online but there isn't much on it. Furthermore what people ignore is that study was reported in a cell culture, something completely different than in a human body. If this was an actual issue, we'd see way more on this than random posts here and there. We'd be hearing from hundreds of thousands of people online.

You will rarely find anyone come on and complain of additional wrinkles without finding that crap on the internet. They always read that first and THINK they got more wrinkles. That's called placebo effect. I've also seen pictures from people reporting these sides as 'abnormal' wrinkles for their age and they think that in late 20s, you wont have fine lines or wrinkles coming through.

It's also laughable that people will report it after being on it for years - obviously you will have aged since then but how do you attribute it to Minoxidil?

I've woken up some days and I have a deep wrinkle under my eyes and I'm not even on Minoxidil. Dehydration, lack of sleep, stress will do that to you. Luckily for me, they smoothed out after a couple of days.

Furthermore, we now know that 90% of aging comes from the SUN - UBV rays (which are strongest in the early afternoon) and UVA rays (which are consistent throughout the day and a lot of people don't realize this). So wear that SPF 30+ sunscreen, and wear it daily. Even in the winter with the snow out. And even on cloudy days. And even in the evenings when the sun is out or when you're sitting inside near a window.

You're welcome.
I believe that you are exactly right about the sun and skin damage. I see faces of many blacks in their 60's and 70's and their faces look decades younger. I also agree that most such sides are due to people imagining them. I am weighing myself on oral minoxidil and I have put on about ten pounds in ten days which I hope is water weight but as long as my clothes fit, It doesn't matter. Water gain might improve certain features including face and other points of interest for those on HRT.

I rarely believe in side-effects from reductase inhibitors. It almost seems that guys on Tressless want to have side-effects so they can "forgive" themselves for not using a treatment needed life-long and I don't find anything wrong at all with that sentiment as long as people don't try to scare off others trying to help themselves and find some control over the balding process. It is the lack of control that drives us crazy and makes us try almost anything. I mean a great treatment might be using a wife or girlfriend's urine on our scalps but at least we don't have threads on that but it probably would work better than 95% of the things currently being used.

Estrogen can often incredibly improve the look of skin in terms of aging effects and I have noticed that from head to foot except for one area, my lower arms which usually are not covered in summer and my left arm also gets sun through the window on the left while I drive and the difference in look and creamy paleness does not please me. Laser hair removal or laser by itself can often rejuvenate such areas as might retin-A. The skin effects which I believe are related to hair regrowth under HRT are all but unbelievable. Scars improve, cross-linked heels like sandpaper can largely self-resolve and the skin in general is much more tactile and susceptible to cellulite and showing veins.

I bleed much more easily from cuts though and I find cuts and bruises from brushing things like thorns far in excess of my experience prior to estrogen. Male skin is made for utility not beautify and especially this rougher, thicker aspect might be protective of a balding scalp from the sun.

Last edited:

ClisOiv

My Regimen
Reaction score
The most common side effect of minoxidil is skin irritation at or near the application site. This usually reverses and heals by stopping the minoxidil. If hair growth is going to occur with the use of minoxidil, it usually occurs after the medicine has been used for several months and lasts only as long as the medicine continues to be used. Hair loss will begin again within a few months after minoxidil treatment is stopped. Fortunately, there are products that can help prevent hair loss without having to use it on a daily basis for an indefinite period of time.

Last edited:

MrPortugal

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Well I'm using minoxidil for like 5-6 years and throughout this years I haven't skin problems just very frequent itchy and dandruff

But unfortunately I can't stop use minoxidil because this mess up my hair cycle that turned my hair dependent to minoxidil

iCloud

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
You know what increases collagen? Collagen induction and some of us are already microneedling. I do my face too and it works great. I even had my face done formally in a salon just to see. Not cheap. $300 but eh, now I know doing it at home is fine plus they went deeper than I would.
I have my face and neck area done professionally once a month (90 EUR) and I also notice a difference. I’ve had four sessions so far. I don’t want to do it myself, as I already have to put in time doing my scalp, and the person doing it does it better than I can do myself (uses different depths for different areas).

Never had any skin problems due to minoxidil..

Capone

My Regimen
Reaction score
I bought a Hyaluron pen and just waiting on some HA for a bit of diy ;)

JaneyElizabeth

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Janey's just back from having her boobs, stomach, feet, upper thighs and yes, taint, she says and makes that fainting motion. Janey has no sympathy for people worried about oral minoxidil hair growth down there <blushes>

StacySixx

My Regimen
Reaction score
I can tell you dark circles and bags under eye s are my biggest issues with Minoxidil. I use dermapen 1 x per week and eye serum 2 x per day. I don't mind a little extra " manscaping" , worth the extra growth on scalp. wow , even the taint!
Janey's just back from having her boobs, stomach, feet, upper thighs and yes, taint, she says and makes that fainting motion. Janey has no sympathy for people worried about oral minoxidil hair growth down there <blushes>