What's The Longest You've Ever Worn Your Hair Without Taking A Break?

deg_dilemma

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I've pretty much worn my hair for the past 1.5 years without having had it off for more than an hour at most every week or so (for clean-up/refit).

I wear a fully bonded UTS so it means that my scalp hasn't felt the sun on it for all that time, nor has it really breathed. But it still looks and feels OK.

Doesn't seem right though does it - I mean, it can't be healthy to wear hair constantly for such long periods.

Anyone else have thoughts on this?

Fanjeera

Reaction score
That's how everyone does it, no? Nonstop. I've done it for 3,5 years now, but the scalp definitely breathes through the lace.

Xyz23

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I make sure to take it off in the evening and to sleep one night bald.
In the next morning I do the attachment again. I think sometimes you should let your scalp breathe

Pietro

My Regimen
Reaction score
I’ve wore an UTS fully bonded system for the past year. I generally go four to six weeks (sometimes longer) before removing the system for cleaning, recolouring etc. To date I have had no major issues with this sort of extended wear and have learned by trial and error -and reading this and other sites - to deal with the day to day and weekly up-keep.

I actually deal with a branch of Ashley and Martin and leave the removal and rebounding to them. One of the reasons why I don’t remove it so often is the fact that I live nearly 2000km from the nearest clinic in Adelaide South Australia, otherwise I would not go for such extended periods between removals. In general I think going longer than the recommended times for most types of system is perhaps playing the probability game. An issue with scalp health/infection etc could arise at any time. I would suspect that the problems would multiply from there. So playing with the probabilities is perhaps not the wisest course.

My next salon change is this coming week. I’m going for tape this time around and intend, as part of my longer term strategy, to do-it-myself maintenance on a weekly/fortnightly basis, including ordering custom units through Curtis at MHE. The salon approach has been useful for the learning experience but the long term strategy has to be self-sufficiency and - to get back on topic - prolonged periods between removal and rebounding involves a fair bit of anxiety and constant fussing with products, colour etc to keep the hair looking reasonable.

Fanjeera

Reaction score
I make sure to take it off in the evening and to sleep one night bald.
In the next morning I do the attachment again. I think sometimes you should let your scalp breathe
I do that once a month for like 30 mins.

Reactions: KSA

TEG

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I've pretty much worn my hair for the past 1.5 years without having had it off for more than an hour at most every week or so (for clean-up/refit).

I wear a fully bonded UTS so it means that my scalp hasn't felt the sun on it for all that time, nor has it really breathed. But it still looks and feels OK.

Doesn't seem right though does it - I mean, it can't be healthy to wear hair constantly for such long periods.

the same one for 1.5 years?

BaldBearded

My Regimen
Reaction score
When I am home, during the summer, I remove Thrs. after work, and reapply Friday afternoon (weekend).

I just went 10 days, and was happy to have it off me already.

random phone charger

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

You all just have to be women. Jfl:rolleyes:

Pietro

My Regimen
Reaction score
I removed my UTS system today after nearly 6 weeks of continuous wear. I’m happy to report that my scalp is in good health. Va bene.

However, this will be my last post (two in total) as I decided this morning that the whole “system life-style”, if I can put in these terms, is not, after almost a full year’s effort, a viable alternative for me. Amongst other things the care and maintenance and strategic planning with travel and so on, is just too much trouble. I’m a competitive cyclist (amateur) and train constantly at high levels in the Australian heat, so apart from the constant worry about adhesive break downs (and it does break down and penetrate through to the hair under intense conditions) there is the issue of infections, scalp health over the long-term etc that may not arise in less extreme circumstances.

So, I had the stylist shave me right down with her balding clippers so I guess I’m no longer a member of the fraternity. So long and all the best. We all have to take the route that seems best for us individually.

For what it is worth, I have immense respect for everyone here; I have learned a great deal and genuinely admire the sense of support and community you have developed.

Pete

Noah

Reaction score
I try to have one bald night's sleep per week, when I am at home. I take my unit off the night before I plan to re-attach, sleep bald that night, and re-attach in the morning. It sort of feels like a healthy thing to do, but really I don't know that it makes that much difference. I think not leaving the system on too long between de-/re-attachments is more important to scalp hygiene and health.

KSA

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I try to have one bald night's sleep per week, when I am at home. I take my unit off the night before I plan to re-attach, sleep bald that night, and re-attach in the morning. It sort of feels like a healthy thing to do, but really I don't know that it makes that much difference. I think not leaving the system on too long between de-/re-attachments is more important to scalp hygiene and health.
Indeed? What if one gets these Professionally installed?

Nostab2

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I could be wrong but I dont think most people take any breaks from it. Just make sure you change it in a timely manner, I used to be bad about it because the glue I was using lasted as month, now I go about 10 days hold time

Nostab2

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

As far as sun, if you had a full head of natural hair it would block the sun, sun exposure on the head is not necessarily a good thing, as far as breathing, a lace system breathes, are you using like a skin system or something?

KSA

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I could be wrong but I dont think most people take any breaks from it. Just make sure you change it in a timely manner, I used to be bad about it because the glue I was using lasted as month, now I go about 10 days hold time
Why did you switch from 1 month to 10 days. I was very sold on these systems based on the 4/5 week timeline between resets. 10 days sounds like a nuisance because I don’t want to learn to set these myself quite yet I am a notorious klutz

BaldBearded

My Regimen
Reaction score
Why did you switch from 1 month to 10 days. I was very sold on these systems based on the 4/5 week timeline between resets. 10 days sounds like a nuisance because I don’t want to learn to set these myself quite yet I am a notorious klutz

You need to understand that wearing time is an individual thing, based on your base, body chemistry, attachment type and life style. No oe can really promise you the exact amount of time a bond will work for you.

KSA

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
You need to understand that wearing time is an individual thing, based on your base, body chemistry, attachment type and life style. No oe can really promise you the exact amount of time a bond will work for you.
Gotcha. That makes a lot of sense. Thank you

Nostab2

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I used a adhesive that lasted that long but went to a different glue that does not last as long...it is a nucence doing it 10 days, but used vapon no tape and it was a month.