Whatever Happened To All The Replicel/shiseido Hype?

Mykonas

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
That's fair. We've gotten way off topic. But as with any thread the chances of staying on topic tend to drop precipitously after about page 5.

I'll make a new thread since I think it's worth discussing more.

Do it, there is an update and people need some enlightenment.
upload_2018-4-7_14-31-27.png

Janks16

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
See below. There's no indication that Replicel will come to market this year. I hope I'm wrong.

In 2018, shareholders should expect to see:
  • The launch of a European multi-centre, phase 2 clinical trial measuring the impact of RCS-01 injections on aging skin.
  • Completion of commercial-grade prototypes for the RCI-02 dermal injector.
  • Filing of a CE-mark application for our dermal injector seeking the regulatory marketing approval needed to commercially launch the device in Europe and Hong Kong.
  • Preparations for launching the device in Hong Kong by licensing partner, YOFOTO (China) Health Industry Co. Ltd.
  • Data from the clinical research being funded by Shiseido in Japan measuring the benefit of RCH-01 injections in men and women suffering from hair loss due to androgenic alopecia.
  • Data from the research program at UBC identifying different genetic marker expression profiles of various cell populations in the hair follicle with an aim of potentially improving cell selection, manufacturing, and clinical outcomes.
  • The launch of tendon repair (RCT-01) and skin rejuvenation (RCS-01) clinical trial activity in Hong Kong and/or Mainland China funded by YOFOTO.
  • The launch of planned product development projects with various partners intended to add significant value to our programs.
  • A meeting with the FDA reviewing one or more of our programs.
  • Business development activity which may well lead to the execution of other commercial partnerships.
Shiseido Vice President Tsunehiko Iwai has said that Replicel treatment will cost each patient around 100,000 Japanese Yen (around $980 at current rates) once it is made available to the public.

Last edited:

itsjustsimon

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
See below. There's no indication that Replicel will come to market this year. I hope I'm wrong.

• The launch of a European multi-centre, phase 2 clinical trial measuring the impact of RCS-01 injections on aging skin.
  • Filing of a CE-mark application for our dermal injector seeking the regulatory marketing approval needed to commercially launch the device in Europe and Hong Kong.
  • Preparations for launching the device in Hong Kong by licensing partner, YOFOTO (China) Health Industry Co. Ltd.
  • Data from the clinical research being funded by Shiseido in Japan measuring the benefit of RCH-01 injections in men and women suffering from hair loss due to androgenic alopecia.
  • Data from the research program at UBC identifying different genetic marker expression profiles of various cell populations in the hair follicle with an aim of potentially improving cell selection, manufacturing, and clinical outcomes.
  • The launch of tendon repair (RCT-01) and skin rejuvenation (RCS-01) clinical trial activity in Hong Kong and/or Mainland China funded by YOFOTO.
  • The launch of planned product development projects with various partners intended to add significant value to our programs.
  • Business development activity which may well lead to the execution of other commercial partnerships.
Shiseido Vice President Tsunehiko Iwai has said that Replicel treatment will cost each patient around 100,000 Japanese Yen (around $980 at current rates) once it is made available to the public.

Ain’t Shiseido bringing RCH-01 to the market?

razzmatazz91

My Regimen
Reaction score

Probably not.
But we will have data from the Phase 2 trials this year. The cure will follow, but it may not be within six months...

That Guy

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
There's no way I'm looking for @IdealForehead's post where he did what he did here...

But I have to ask..... did this guy just call BS on Tsuji?

Yes, he did. The TL;DR version is that his asinine theory is that hair transplants only work because of the skin they bring along with them and since there isn't this skin in the cell implants, it won't work. He feels that there is no such thing as DHT-resistant hair.

But as Inb4TheCure, easily the forum's most knowledgeable member posted, studies have shot this bullshit down for decades.

All that posts like this are about whenever someone suggests that DHT doesn't matter or something is a veiled admission that they didn't take finasteride, minoxidil, or get a transplant and this is their way of coping by trying to create an echo chamber that will convince everyone that it wouldn't have made a difference if they took any medication or had surgery.

Feelsbadman.jpg

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

Replicel was never scheduled to come out this year. There is 0 chance of Replicel bring RCH-01 to market this year. As long as Shiseido's phase II produces favorable results, then they will bring it to market if not this year, then early 2019. They have no reason not to if it works like the phase 1 studies have shown it to.

Feelsbadman.jpg

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
@IdealForehead Do stump tailed macaques have a galea? I have not been able find this information.

Androgenetic-alopecia-in-the-stump-tail-macaque-M-arctoides-is-a-model-for-male.jpg

Here is the pattern that the macaques bald in from what I have been able to see so far. This does not match the finite elemental analysis image you posted earlier. Their head shapes are of course different and I imagine that is what you will assert causes the difference in the pattern but it would be interesting if this "Finite Elemental Analysis" was performed on the macaque cranial structure. I have a feeling it would not match the balding pattern.

IdealForehead

My Regimen
Reaction score
Yes, he did. The TL;DR version is that his asinine theory is that hair transplants only work because of the skin they bring along with them and since there isn't this skin in the cell implants, it won't work. He feels that there is no such thing as DHT-resistant hair.

But as Inb4TheCure, easily the forum's most knowledgeable member posted, studies have shot this bullshit down for decades.

All that posts like this are about whenever someone suggests that DHT doesn't matter or something is a veiled admission that they didn't take finasteride, minoxidil, or get a transplant and this is their way of coping by trying to create an echo chamber that will convince everyone that it wouldn't have made a difference if they took any medication or had surgery.

That's not exactly what I did and not exactly what I've said.

First of all, DHT is absolutely important as an inflammatory mediator of hair loss. That is why blocking DHT stops hair loss. And there is absolutely such a thing as "DHT resistant" hair. The question is how permanent that DHT resistance can be expected to be in the context of this model. We will return to this point in a bit.

I believe Tsuji is absolutely unlikely to develop a commercially available method for mass hair cloning in the next 18 months. I think they have overpromised. I do not know what if anything they will offer in 18 months.

I have said it would be incredibly helpful if he can do this because it creates unlimited donor supply.

However I am honestly not sure (and I don't think anyone could be in the context of this new research) about how permanently androgen-resistant and galea-resistant the hairs would be.

If the transplanted hairs re-fuse to the galea and with time this increases androgen sensitivity gene expression, as it does for native balding scalp follicles over time, then these hairs could start a new "balding countdown clock" upon transplantation.

If on the other hand, the surgical process of transplantation keeps the hairs mechanically unloaded from the galea and/or the epigenetic switches that were thrown by having those hairs develop in the occiput are resistant to being "re-switched" by the move the galea, then the hairs will be pretty permanent.

I dont think anyone could know for certain, as this is a relatively new concept. With further research in the next 5-10 years that question should be answered.

If I had to speculate based on all the information reviewed and posted in this thread, I would guess that like anything else this may be individualized. In some men the transplanted hairs may be more sensitive to the new galeal stress than others. So some men can probably get away with doing nothing. While others may get thinning and deterioration of their transplants in another 10-20 years of they don't combine the procedure with an anti-androgen.

The articles I linked commented that in those researcher's opinions we need large long term 10-20 year studies of human hair transplants in men who have taken anti-androgens and those who have not before we can know for sure. I would tend to agree.

The world isn't rock 'em sock 'em robots or a UFC ring. This isn't a competition about who knows more or who is "calling bullshit" on who. It's meant to be an open discussion to share and learn so we can all advance our knowledge and hopefully the entire science of hair loss in the process.

I absolutely hope Tsuji is successful in his endeavors and he's done fantastic work in my opinion already so far.

Last edited:

IdealForehead

My Regimen
Reaction score
@IdealForehead Do stump tailed macaques have a galea? I have not been able find this information.

View attachment 84301

Here is the pattern that the macaques bald in from what I have been able to see so far. This does not match the finite elemental analysis image you posted earlier. Their head shapes are of course different and I imagine that is what you will assert causes the difference in the pattern but it would be interesting if this "Finite Elemental Analysis" was performed on the macaque cranial structure. I have a feeling it would not match the balding pattern.

Absolutely it would have to be done for their head shape and muscle insertion and origin points all of which differ completely from a human's.

One must also be careful about drawing too many conclusions from animals as they can have considerable differences from us. A lower primate can dwarf the strength of a human even if the primate spends its entire life in a cage eating fruits and the human spends its entire life eating protein and lifting in the gym. That has to do with differences in myostatin levels, etc. that make our muscles behave completely differently. You wouldn't conclude from that that if you're a human who wants to be buff you should quit the gym and spend all day eating bananas.

Even just among humans we can see differential balding patterns between the genders where men follow the Norwood pattern and women the Ludwig pattern. This may be partly due to differences in male and female head shapes and tension patterns. But it may more likely be due to as @Georgie researched, women have higher levels of aromatase at the fronts of their hairline which protect those areas from androgenic damage over time.

So my point is its hard enough understanding differences in patterns of hair loss between the genders (although I think we can). It may be harder still to understand differences in balding patterns between entirely different species.

Feelsbadman.jpg

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
So my point is its hard enough understanding differences in patterns of hair loss between the genders (although I think we can). It may be harder still to understand differences in balding patterns between entirely different species.

Except that it has been shown in vitro that macaque scalp hair and human scalp hair both atrophy in the presence of androgens...

IdealForehead

My Regimen
Reaction score
Except that it has been shown in vitro that macaque scalp hair and human scalp hair both atrophy in the presence of androgens...

Sure. There are similarities. That's why it's a useful model. But it's still only a model. Either way, it took decades and possibly centuries of scientists pondering the pattern of male pattern baldness before someone figured out that the pattern matches the natural mechanical stress pattern of the human galea.

Maybe in a few years someone will do the same modeling for macaques, as well as elucidate the distribution of aromatase in their scalps, so we can help those poor bald animals too. :)

Last edited:

sunchyme1

My Regimen
Reaction score
@IdealForehead u need an avatar man

ive been looking for one for you

in light of your recent successful surgery and your name here i think it should be this

christopher-meloni.jpg

IdealForehead

My Regimen
Reaction score
@IdealForehead u need an avatar man

ive been looking for one for you

in light of your recent successful surgery and your name here i think it should be this

View attachment 84305

:) No man. I like being avatar free. Also that guy is the OPPOSITE of who I'd use.

If I wanted some random dude I'd use this guy (Ian D'Sa), but people wouldn't know who he is and would think it's me.

O237235-3be93.jpg

I'm all about the wolfman look now.

sunchyme1

My Regimen
Reaction score
:) No man. I like being avatar free. Also that guy is the OPPOSITE of who I'd use.

If I wanted some random dude I'd use this guy (Ian D'Sa), but people wouldn't know who he is and would think it's me.

View attachment 84307

I'm all about the wolfman look now.

lol i think i actually know this guy

an old user here used him as an example of what hairline he wanted to get back

he was on crazier meds than bridgeburn