What will it take to fix this mess?

Knendell

Established Member
Reaction score
Here is the link to my pics and story posted in the success forum.

http://www.hairlosstalk.com/interact/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=45016

The short story is:

I am 30 and have been losing since 19 or so.
Tried propecia for a little over a year as stated in my topic linked above.

If I did have something done it would be with Feller. I am not looking for a NW2. I want a solid NW3. I am sure my donor area is very thick. I always had very thick hair. My question is: How many grafts and how much would that cost me? I am slowly thinning in the NW5 area. From my pics of the crown I can't see any thinning, only in the mid scalp.
I am going to buzz my hair at the end of next month to see how my head shape looks and if I can accept what I was dealt. I think I have a huge head and it would not suit me though. Hairloss has bothered me immensely for about 8 years. I just want my identity back. Experienced persons please give me some feedback. Thanks.

s.a.f

Reaction score
That'll be an easy job for Feller about 2000 grafts is all, infact you could easily get a NW2. Look on his website for the prices.

Knendell

Established Member
Reaction score
SAF, Did you notice the front is see through. Basically all the hair I have now will be gone in a few years time. I will know more when I buzz it down and see the real damage. I sure hope the crown is holding up. That would be awesome. Although I know it isn't because I feel the itch and burn there.

If I did decide to go through with this how could I hide it from everyone. I would be able to get 2 weeks off max. That isn't enough time IMO.

G

At 30, with your level of loss--- should you choose not to continue meds, you will likely miniaturuze in the donor region as well.... Propecia doesn't just help you retain hair, it helps promote your actual hair thickness, thus keeping a greater amount of coverage.

I would suggest asking for 2000-2500 grafts fue--- if you re-establish your frontal 3rd--- take a step back and re-evaluate after 12-18 months-- you can decide if it is enough, you like the buzzed down look with your new hairline, or you want more.

It looks as if you can still cover the crown when dry so stay on Propecia and it will help you hold on a bit longer.

Good Luck!
Jason

metalheaddude

Reaction score
the B spot said:
At 30, with your level of loss--- should you choose not to continue meds, you will likely miniaturuze in the donor region as well....

I agree with this. Although Propecia and Rogaine seem to help the traditional minaturizing areas in the Norwood regions, it seems to have a negative effect around the donor region, side of head, side burns etc by making it thinner. I dont know why this is, but its happend to me and many other people ive encountered on this forum.

bubka

Reaction score
metalheaddude said:
the B spot said:
At 30, with your level of loss--- should you choose not to continue meds, you will likely miniaturuze in the donor region as well....

I agree with this. Although Propecia and Rogaine seem to help the traditional minaturizing areas in the Norwood regions, it seems to have a negative effect around the donor region, side of head, side burns etc by making it thinner. I dont know why this is, but its happend to me and many other people ive encountered on this forum.
The guy suggested YOU SHOULD CONTINUE to take meds, because you will miniturize and lose density in the donor area as well. Every reputable hair transplant surgrion also recommends this for obvious reasons. :whistle:

Finasteride will help keep density in the donor area as well.

metalheaddude

Reaction score
ok ok so i miss read it, sue me :nono:

My point still stands.

Aplunk1

Reaction score
I disagree with the other numbers.

While I'm not a consultant, I've spent too much time figuring the numbers.

I'd say you need 3000-4000+ for a denser result that's more natural to someone your age.

DoctorHouse

Reaction score
bubka, I can't help but admit how entertaining reading threads where you rip on metalheaddude. I kind of think he rather enjoys the attention. It usually goes nice too with an oni or s.a.f rip thrown in as well. It kind of reminds me of the days Jayman used to rip on Hair Today Gone Tomorrow. Very comical reading. By the way, Taug has not changed a bit. He is on HLH still complaining how ugly he is and his hair is getting worse from shedding. So I do not look like I hijacked this thread. To fix your mess gsxr, I would consider trying Proxiphen. It might thicken up what you have now.

metalheaddude

Reaction score
bubka said:
metalheaddude said:
ok ok so i miss read it, sue me :nono:

My point still stands.
What was your point? That finasteride "thins" the donor region?

Yes. The regions above my ears and donor area have thinned dramtically since starting Propecia about 3 years ago.

G

gsxr,

Read your story and reviewed your pics. You're right on with your Norwood class assessment. If hair is this important to you, STAY ON THE MEDS. IMO, that alone is the single most critical factor in slowing down your progression to class 6a. Put it this way, if you stop them, you'll lose everything up there. Apply the foam late evening and then sleep with it. You can wash it out the next morrning. Finasteride can potentially be taken at a lower dosage or take it every other day.

Personally, I don't think you'll look bad with short hair, but's that's my opinion and I recognize it's your opinion that matters the most. Listen to this for a minute. Your scalp to hair color contrast can be narrowed through lightening your hair. You don't have to use dye, just a safe lightener you can purchase online or at a upper scale salon. Your complexion is very fair and can easily accomodate this subtle change of hair color. Then you could potentially get by with the "shorter looks like more" approach if you buzz the area. That way you can stretch your donor because a guy like you could get by with say 30-40 cm2, and it can be accomplished with a single pass. That can produce enough "shaped shadowed effect" that will provide an illusionary frame, and it's your real hair, just at a much lower density level. The frame created does not need to be dense, just visible enough to detract away a bald look and frame your features.

It's a good, more practical, achievable, and "safer" approach for you at this stage in life, again IMHO for whatever it's worth my friend.

Then pick up some speedo shades, grab a surfboard, and head for the West Coast where the girls get soooo tanned....and before you know it, they will be hanging in your arms! :punk:

Knendell

Established Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply gillenator,

My problem is how do I hide the surgery. I would have max 2 weeks off at the most.

G

If you use a topical post-op application (copper-peptide), even if it is a saline based spray, most if not all of the scabbing should be gone. Try to start your two weeks time off when there is an intervening holiday which in fact can stretch you out closer to three weeks if you are able to fit a third weekend in there.

Your donor length will need to be long enough to hide most of any evidence of surgery. That's of course in the event you cannot wear a cap when you return to work.

Lastly, if there is any lingering redness, Dermatch can be a good temporary cover until any visual evidence dissipates.