What Treatment Should I Use To Start? (18 Yo)

bucksins6x

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I am 18 years old and will be 19 in May. I have recently confirmed a thinning/receding hairline at my temples. As of now, the rest of my hair seems ok and it’s not really noticeable to the common eye as I do still have good density and don’t shed much. I want to start treatment now and try and stop this. I visited a dermatologist who recommended I start with minoxidil. He said give it 6 months and check your progress. He said for some people this can keep there hair. When I asked about finasteride he said I should wait until I know I need it and my balding isn’t bad enough yet. I am currently a norwood 1 but it could obviously get worse untreated. Would it be smart for me to start with minoxidil for 6 months and see how it goes OR should I throw caution to the wind and get on finasteride. The side effects obviously scare me and I believe that the 2% isn’t accurate as it seems almost everyone gets them to some degree. But what should I do: Minoxidil, Finasteride, Both, or something else. Looking for a lot of input!

Derelict

My Regimen
Reaction score
Jump on finasteride and give it 12 months, it will maintain for the majority of people. I would avoid minoxidil right now.

bucksins6x

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Because minoxidil doesn't address the main culprit in balding(DHT) and since your goal at NW1 should be to maintain that NW1 then finasteride is the better choice.
Is it worth giving minoxidil a shot for 6 months and see if it works before I deal with the stress of finasteride, sides or not I know I’ll stress about them

Slid

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
He gave you an answer and you ask the same dumb question again.The balding process will continue if you use minoxidil,because it doesnt stop it.Finasteride stops it and it could maybe give you some regrowth.I personally made a huge mistake of starting with minoxidil first,because it screwed up my hair cycles.

Niki99

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Anyone else? Feel free
The problem with Minoxidil is that when you start you have to keep taking it for life. Chances are that you will still need Fina after a couple of years because Minoxidil doesn't stop balding and then you are stuck using Fina and Minoxidil for the rest of your life. If you start with Fina early enough chances are that you will not need anything else for a long time or maybe never. But think hard about it if you want to start with it right now. Although risks of sides are pretty low it's not zero of course.

bucksins6x

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Still looking for more feedback. Is it safe for me to start finasteride at 18 or should I try topicals first. Has anyone else used finasteride without sides??

Who Farted

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Plenty of people use it without sides, most in fact. With the new data we have seen in the wake of the lawsuit, you have 5% chance of experiencing them. You need to look closely and decide if you can live with that before you start in.

I wouldn’t take it at your age. Your body’s still maturing and it’s unknown what effect it can have on that process; your body needs specific hormones in specific quantities at specific times to grow correctly. finasteride throws that plan out the window by artificially manipulating said balance. Some take it at 18 and are fine, others not so much. It’s going to be a roll of the dice.

finasteride/Duta/minoxidil are all lifelong commitments and all come with a unique set of potential side effects. You don’t take any of that unless you absolutely no for a fact that you need it.

Take pictures every 3 months from same perspectives (hairline, crown, temples), both wet and dry, and compare. Don’t let panic choose the path forward or you may find yourself in a world of sh*t far worse than you would have been otherwise.

Last edited:

bucksins6x

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
What about trying something like saw palmetto or pumpkin seed oil. No real side effects and it has seemed to work quite well in lowering dht and hair loss

Last edited:

ZZmop

Established Member
Reaction score
What about trying something like saw palmetto or pumpkin seed oil. No real side effects and it has seemed to work quite well in lowering dht and hair loss

Saw Palmetto can trigger the same disease that Finasteride can

The man in that video committed suicide. He is on the “In Memorium” section of the PFS patient website Propecia Help:
  • Michael Joshua Douglas 1995 – 2016. Michael was a gifted athlete, intelligent young man and beloved son. Losing some hair, Michael took Saw Palmetto extract which is marketed as a natural remedy for BPH and hair loss owing to its antiandrogenic and 5alpha reductase inhibiting properties. Shortly after starting Michael experienced side effects including loss of libido, testicular pain and tiredness that led him to discontinue the product. After cessation, he described a sudden increase in energy levels, libido, drive, and oily skin that led to acne. He described feeling hyperandrogenic, “a huge sense of wellbeing”. Sadly, despite believing he had “dodged a bullet”, this did not last, and he experienced the familiar crash which he described as feeling “as if his physiology had done a complete 180 degree turn”. His symptoms included “terrifying” cognitive problems he likened to dementia, a complete loss of libido, loss of motivation, anhedonia, sexual dysfunction, penile atrophy, fatigue, insomnia, joint, ligament and bone problems, and an acceleration of androgenic alopecia. He took his life after four years of struggling against his symptoms. Unfortunately after countless hormonal, pharmaceutical and alternative therapies, he could no longer cope with his deteriorating condition. Before his death, he bravely shared his story in a YouTube video to spread awareness of the situation and warn others. Michael loved his life and had everything to live for. He is missed by the community and those who knew him.

OldnBald

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Saw Palmetto can trigger the same disease that Finasteride can

The man in that video committed suicide. He is on the “In Memorium” section of the PFS patient website Propecia Help:
  • Michael Joshua Douglas 1995 – 2016. Michael was a gifted athlete, intelligent young man and beloved son. Losing some hair, Michael took Saw Palmetto extract which is marketed as a natural remedy for BPH and hair loss owing to its antiandrogenic and 5alpha reductase inhibiting properties. Shortly after starting Michael experienced side effects including loss of libido, testicular pain and tiredness that led him to discontinue the product. After cessation, he described a sudden increase in energy levels, libido, drive, and oily skin that led to acne. He described feeling hyperandrogenic, “a huge sense of wellbeing”. Sadly, despite believing he had “dodged a bullet”, this did not last, and he experienced the familiar crash which he described as feeling “as if his physiology had done a complete 180 degree turn”. His symptoms included “terrifying” cognitive problems he likened to dementia, a complete loss of libido, loss of motivation, anhedonia, sexual dysfunction, penile atrophy, fatigue, insomnia, joint, ligament and bone problems, and an acceleration of androgenic alopecia. He took his life after four years of struggling against his symptoms. Unfortunately after countless hormonal, pharmaceutical and alternative therapies, he could no longer cope with his deteriorating condition. Before his death, he bravely shared his story in a YouTube video to spread awareness of the situation and warn others. Michael loved his life and had everything to live for. He is missed by the community and those who knew him.
I always doubt these stories. I find it hard to believe that he wasn't having mental issues already.

fenom

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
The problem with Minoxidil is that when you start you have to keep taking it for life. Chances are that you will still need Fina after a couple of years because Minoxidil doesn't stop balding and then you are stuck using Fina and Minoxidil for the rest of your life. If you start with Fina early enough chances are that you will not need anything else for a long time or maybe never. But think hard about it if you want to start with it right now. Although risks of sides are pretty low it's not zero of course.
Both treatments, you have to take for life(as long as they keep working for you). If you stop with minoxidil you will simply lose your gains, same with fina.

OP for someone in your age, it's better to start with minoxidil.

Niki99

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Both treatments, you have to take for life(as long as they keep working for you). If you stop with minoxidil you will simply lose your gains, same with fina.

OP for someone in your age, it's better to start with minoxidil.
True but you have more of a chance to only need finasteride in your life instead of only minoxidil. So you should start with fina first.

Slid

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
If your scalp is prone to dermatitis dont even think about using zix.

Niki99

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I’m not ready to start finasteride, should I consider using zix
Rogaine, Fina. That's the best options if you want to start. Like I said I would start with fina just because of cost efficiency. If you don't care about that you can start with rogaine.