What to do when you can't take Finasteride?

bubka

Reaction score
Bryan said:
bubka said:
totally, i am just waiting for Dr. Proctor to show some results that even come close to results that are "unquestionably" better than propecia... he is "unquestionably" a salesmen

HUH?? Come on, bubka, you know as well as I do that there are before-and-after pics of one of his users on his Web site. They're VERY impressive.

Bryan
yeah, you have one that is impressive, however, still that picture, the haircut is different, (longer hair in the after) and the angle is different too so not as much forehead is showing, its clear that there was some regrowth, but that is at least the majority of propecia users, again, it's hardly "unquestionably" better than propecia

the bottom line is that his product is not even close to propecia, PERIOD, even the pictures prove this

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
bubka said:
yeah, you have one that is impressive, however, still that picture, the haircut is different, (longer hair in the after) and the angle is different too so not as much forehead is showing, its clear that there was some regrowth, but that is at least the majority of propecia users, again, it's hardly "unquestionably" better than propecia

the bottom line is that his product is not even close to propecia, PERIOD, even the pictures prove this

Bubka, there's only one very important question I have for you which I'd like you to answer: what color is the sky on the planet you're from?? :D :D :D

I'll leave it up to the other readers here to decide for themselves if they agree or disagree with your...(ahem)...UNUSUAL ANALYSIS of those two pics.

Bryan

Aker

Reaction score
I would also have to agree that the single picture doesn't do anything for me. I've seen pictures of full hair regrowth on the ScalpMed, Avacor, etc. commercials, but I don't see people recommending that here.

I would love to see first hand testimonials of people who his products have worked on.

Bryan, it says you've been using Dr. Proctor's products for 10 years. I will throw a number out there...say that's about $8,000 in products.

Did you personally get $8,000 worth of hair back?

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
Aker said:
Bryan said:
I've previously posted a list of about a dozen glowing reports of Proxiphen usage from people on alt.baldspot. Do you want me to post that again?

I would actually love to see them, thanks Bryan! Also, if you would, please post the users who have not had a positive experience in using Proxiphen!

The following is something that I posted on another site a couple of years ago. I snipped out one sentence in the first paragraph below because it was meant for a specific poster on that site.

Here are a few posts I culled just from alt.baldspot by searching on the word "Proxiphen". I count 12 individuals (including well-known ones like John Ertel and Will Brink!) who claim success with Proxiphen, and please note that this is certainly not a COMPLETE list, just a few I found until I got tired of wading through unrelated posts from people about how much does it cost, what's in it, how do I get a prescription for it, etc. etc. And yes, I also found some posts from people who didn't get any results from Proxiphen! [...] To save a little space, I took the liberty of snipping some of the more long-winded posts. Without further ado:

--------------------
(dcdrummer@hotmail.com)
Subject: Proxiphen good for hairline
Newsgroups: alt.baldspot
Date: 2002-02-04 06:33:41 PST

I used to use dr. p's proxiphen (px strength) on my hairline with minoxidil. Id apply minoxidil, wait 20 minutes and dab proxiphen on it. Proxiphen would last me about 3 months. I stopped using it because it grew too much hair and I had to shave an even line. I am a good responded to treatments so take what i am saying with a grain of salt but I am going back on it because it kept my hairline thick and definitely grew nonvellous and intermediate hairs for me. I do recommend it and no i dont work for Dr. P. If nothing else apply it at your hairlne and back so it wont recede anymore, and consider any growth a bonus, a bonus you could very well get.

---------------
(chuckfrasher@yahoo.com)
Subject: Re: Proxiphen good for hairline
Date: 2002-02-06 12:30:54 PST

I've had very good results with Dr. P's Formulas and have posted this before. I will post specifically about this when I have a little more time. Believe it or not, I think Dr. P's shampoo is a gift from God. I have 3 separate experiences of using it. Each time, it worked. Two of these experiences were with the shampoo alone. My most recent is nano mixed with Propecia, Nizoral, and Dp. P's Advanced Regrowth Formula from lef.org. After a month or so off of the shampoo, I am losing gobbs of hair in the drain. I will explain in more detail later.

---------------------------
(todd_tomlinson@emeraldsolutions.com)
Subject: Re: *Proxiphen Users Please Read*
Date: 1998/01/10

I'm 40, have been balding since 20 and started on Proxiphen and Nano shampoo in October 96. I had lost 80-90% of the hair on top of my head with a little bit left at the front. With Proxiphen and Nano I saw pretty amazing results after 3-4 months (tons of short, thin, colorless hairs).
{snip}
Also, I know that people complain about $100/month for Proxiphen and that the ingredients may not add up to $100/month. For me it's an investment -- and research costs money. I would rather pay $100/month to Dr. P for Proxiphen, knowing that he's leading the way for new treatments... maybe $60 of my $100 will fuel the research that sparks something new that benefits all of us...

--------------------------------------------------------
Subject: my experience w/ proxiphen and nano shampoo
Date: 1997/03/25

hello,

there have been some people on this newsgroup who have asked for success stories of people using proxiphen. so i thought i would share my experience with the formula.

i selected proxiphen for a couple of reasons. the most important reason is that i don't like having to put topical solutions on my scalp 2x/day. in the past, i have used rogaine, and my main complaint is that you have to apply it twice a day. i hate this, because i am a very active person, and i usually do at least 2 activities/day that makes me sweat (biking, running, etc). the makers of rogaine suggest that you wash off the solution if you are going to sweat. i assume this is to avoid getting the solution into the mucous membranes (eyes, nose, etc). and in fact, when i sweat when i have rogaine on, it gets in my eyes, and stings. and i am lazy, i don't want to have to shower several times/day to make sure that the solution is removed before engaging in activities which cause me to sweat. i also hate the idea of having a topical solution on my head most of the time. and i have a real life to live, so i don't want to spend a lot of time attending to my hair. so i really like that proxiphen is only applied 1x/day. i apply it at night right before i go to bed, and i wash it off first thing when i shower in the morning.

the other reason i leaned towards proxiphen is the idea of tolerence. i am not a scientist, so i don't know how much validity this theory has, but it does make sense to me. i worry that rogaine will eventually lose its effectiveness over time. dr P's theory is that proxiphen has an advantage over rogaine in that because it contains a wider variety of agents, one is less likely to develop tolerance to it.

the big question i had was would it work for me.

so i started using proxiphen/nano shampoo 6 months ago. i am 31 years of age. my hairbegan thinning at 27, and has thinned substantially over the last 18 months. it is also receding. no bald spots as of yet, but the thinning was getting embarrasing. i started to see results with proxiphen after 4.5 months. i noticed small, very blond hairs beginning to sprout along the edge of my hairline. i believe that these hairs are sprouting throughout my scalp, but they are only visible at the edges of the hairline (because they blend in with the rest of my hair). i also noticed that my hair seemed generally thicker. since then , my hair has continued to thicken. i would say that overall, my hair volume appears to be 10-20% thicker on the top of my head compared to when i began the treatment. nothing huge, but enough to make a difference in my mind. another added benefit is that the hair on the top of my hair now grows longer in length. before starting the treatment, i could not get the hair of the top of my head to grow very long. now i am going to have to start having it trimmed again. i also seem to shed less hair (decrease in hair fallout rate), and the hair line seems to be moving forward a bit with these small, blond hairs (i guess these a vellous hairs).

overall, i am happy with proxiphen/nano. the application requires minimal inconvenience, the side effects are none (provided i don't overdue the amount i put on each night: if i put too much on, sometimes my eyes sting), and the results are good. the product has met my expectations (and perhaps surpassed them). i plan to continue to use the product. since i am such a lazy slob, i look forward to reducing the application from 1x/day to once every other day in a few months. yes, the product is expensive, but i am fortunate to have the financial resources to pay for it and for me it is quite worth the money.

i may add internal proscar to my regime, to get more results and to decrease my dependency on any one single formula. but i am not yet decided on this point.

one thing i want to add: this newsgroup has been a great source of info for me. there are lots of great contributors here! thanx for all of your help. wishing you all thick and volumous heads of hair.

------------------------------------------
Subject: Re: Proxiphen feedback
Date: 1996/09/13

I'm still having good results on the frontal hair line with proxiphen... as far as concerns, I haven't had any side effects nor has anybody else I know of... your only concern would be
whether you want to spend that much However, if you're ONLY treating the front hairline, one months treatment of proxiphen should last 2-4 months (depending on how much you use), making it only $25-50/mo. For me it didn't take much prox to get things started so you could probably easily stretch it out to a 4 month supply... however according to Dr. P and most people I've seen I may be the exception rather than the rule since for most people apparently it works better in back than in front. Like I said in a previous post though... you will be probably be able to tell within 4 months whether or not you will get any results at the hairline (my hairs started sprouting at 2 months) so why not spend the $100 for a 4 month supply... I believe dr. p offers a money back guarantee on the unused portion tho I don't know if this is only for nano/prox-n or for proxiphen too... i'm sure he'll pop in and say

--------------------
(sforsgren@aol.com)
Subject: Re: Dr. Proctor's Proxiphen ---
Date: 1996/07/08

Scott here.

I'll only comment on my personal experience. I've used his stuff for 2 1/2 years. Let me ask this, "If it didn't work, why in the world would I waste the time using NANO everyday and Proxiphen, etc. twice a day?" It certainly doesn't benefit me any if it doesn't grow hair.

In the 2 1/2 years, my loss has slowed and probably almost stopped. I still have a few areas that I am working on, and I can tell you that his stuff is getting better and better. In just the last 2 years, I can really tell that the more recent Prox is more effective than what I tried 2 years ago.

-------------------------------------
Subject: Re: Is Dr. P's Proxiphen-N
worth a shot?
Date: 2004-08-12 07:41:16 PST

"SzaszFan" wrote in message
news:BD404FE4.12985%enalg@yahoo
>
> So overall the Prox has been beneficial for you?

Sure! (See my other message elsewhere).

I think Proctor shoots good pool...!

-------------------
(wbrink@earthlink.net/NOSPAM)
Subject: Re: Revivogen or Proxiphen
Date: 2000/06/02

{snip}
Prxiphen is the Rolls Royce of products in my view. If that does not grow hair on your head, nothing will at this point.

--------------------------------------
(omarj@ren.us.itd.umich.edu)
Subject: Re: Proxiphen
Date: 1996/02/14

John Janssen (johnjans@usa.pipeline.com) wrote:
: ScottF is a broken record with his accolades about Proctor's goop. Just
: get as
: much info as you can from as many different sources as possible before
: you plunk down your hard earned bux. Good Luck.

Then I must be a broken record too--but in my case I have a science background as well. I've done the research--medline searches(yes, I've read the articles as well) and quite a few experiments on myself with a number of different "treatments." Nearly all of them were crap--except for Dr. Proctor's stuff.

------------------------------
(psweeney@ee.net)
Date: 1998/09/10

I have had good results. initially I used it daily, then went to every other day or "maintenance mode"

--------------------------
(ct@ihug.co.nz)
Date: 1998/09/12

Just been using it just over two months along woth nano shampoo and conditioner. My results are good. I have small hair growth front and back and any new loss has stopped. Am not using anything else new so i am sure this is what is working for me. Cheers.

-----------------------
(mred10000@aol.com)
Subject: Proxiphen...My observation
Date: 1996/03/10

OK, I have been very weary of posting this for a while because it seems that everytime someone posts something positive about Proxiphen they are called an agent for Dr Proctor, or at least something to that effect. I have been using Proxiphen for 10 months now and I must say the results are very good. I have used Rogaine (1 year) = retin a (6 months.) I did see minimal success but none of which was satisfactory for me. The recession (sp) continued with Rogaine and was slower with the added Retin-a. However, I could say now, without a doubt that Proxiphen, especially when used with NANO Shampoo is the best treatment available today. No, it is not a wonder drug and Dr. Proctor is fully aware of that, but until we do have a wonder drug I will continue to use this treatment.

Cassin

Reaction score
Aker said:
Cassin said:
Well then how many options do you think you have?

I really don't know, that's why I had asked. The most skeptical thing about Dr. Proctor's products for me is that numerous people here seem to back his claims, yet it doesn't seem like they've used the product or had results from it.

I'm surprised you seem so hostile when all I'm asking is for options. Do you use Proxiphen? Has it grown your hair back without Finasteride?

Hostile? Oh geez, relax. That wasn't hostile. I was asking a serious question. I honestly wanted to know how many options you thought you had.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
Aker said:
I would also have to agree that the single picture doesn't do anything for me. I've seen pictures of full hair regrowth on the ScalpMed, Avacor, etc. commercials, but I don't see people recommending that here.

But the point is that the Proxiphen results are REAL. They aren't bogus Photo-Shopped (or whatever) images put up by shady companies like Avacor.

Bryan

Aker

Reaction score
Bryan said:
But the point is that the Proxiphen results are REAL. They aren't bogus Photo-Shopped (or whatever) images put up by shady companies like Avacor.

Thanks for the post, Bryan. I wasn't aware that Proxiphen has been around since 1996 or prior. If so, why is it still $100 a month? Anyway, there's only one post there that really works for me, and that's the one where the guy had been using Rogaine for a year before trying Proxiphen. That's a true testimonial, in my opinion.

I guess this wouldn't be a difficult decision for many if Dr. Proctor's products were priced normally. I know not a lot of people have an extra $1500 a year to spend on themselves.

Anyway, I'm curious about your own results, as you've probably used it longer than anyone here. Tell me your testimonial, compare it to your results with normal Minoxidil/Nizoral/etc. Thanks!

Follically Challenged

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Aker, if price is an issue, make a product yourself.

Go to chemexper.com, and get a bunch of different quotes on:

Spironolactone:

http://www.chemexper.com/index.shtml?ma ... -24-7.html

Phenytoin:

TEMPO:

PBN:

SOD

The other SODs he has and the copper peptides I can't find there or at Sigma-Aldrich. I suggest just using some Tricomin. I found out about the copper products at http://www.regrowth.com/hairloss-articles/sod.cfm

Throw in some RU (PSK 3841) and you're laughing.

bubka

Reaction score
Bryan said:
Aker said:

Bryan
where are they??? Seriously, even the one on the picture is sup typical finasteride results

i mean Avacore has a guy who is "76 years old and honostly [he] has a fuller, thicker head of hair now than [he] did when he was 18"

these quotes and testimonials mean nothing, we have so many awesome results with propecia and picture to prove it here alone

Aker

Reaction score
Follically Challenged said:
Aker, if price is an issue, make a product yourself.

Thanks for the post, but I'm not sure I'm comfortable creating a product on my own. It's something I know nothing about and have no experience in. If there are tried-and-true guides that can lead me step by step I'd consider it, but otherwise I'm afraid I'd do more harm than good. :)

Follically Challenged

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Aker, the only way you'd hurt yourself is by getting bunk ingredients.

You mentioned you didn't want to make it from pills, otherwise I would just recommended going to the library, grabbing a Merck, checking out the solubilities/insolubilities of the products (like phenytoin/spironolactone) and extracting it from the pills. you'd have to be a retard to not be able to do that. if you have any questions i'm sure someone here can help you out.

for the RU, i don't know a trusted supplier. but CCS ordered some, maybe he has run it a thru a gaschromatograph to see if it's legit. If he vouches for it i'd trust his word to go and place an order. in which case, you don't have to separate the spironolactone from pills, because that'd just be being redundant. RU isn't cheap though, from what he said, but it's the best anti-androgen out there.

minoxidil is easy to find, of course.

NANO you can order from SigmaAldrich for dirt cheap. Keratinocye growth factor you can get from skinactives.com if you want. No one talks about that here, but some broads on their forum there say it's working for them. same goes for getting superoxide dismutase. or you can order powdered SOD from sigmaldrich. not sure which is better, or if the skinactives stuff is even real. same goes for their KGF.

i don't know how bad your hair loss is, but you use these things, and a few natural topicals they talk about on hairsite.com (especially to address the issue of DHT) and you will have made one potent topical. you could even skip the phenytoin, i don't know if that stuff works, but it's in proxiphen.

it can't be hard to make a topical, just mix the crap in with a little propylene glycol and ethanol, and add some distilled water. mind you i don't know if all of these things are soluble in what i just mentioned, but if they don't work you can always try something else. i'm sure CCS can help you decide in choosing your vehicles.

i know it sounds like a lot of work (and fortunately i don't have to do this kind of thing) but after a few runs you'll be whipping it up no problemo and just think about it...if you regrow your hair you will feel very good about yourself.