What to do when you can't take Finasteride?

Aker

Reaction score
I am beginning to notice upper chest (breast) pain after being on finasteride for about a month. The pain began about a week after taking and has continued for the month. It's not severe, but it's a strange sore feeling that I'm not comfortable with. I'm assuming this means I'm in the process of developing gynecomastia, so it seems that Finasteride is not something that I can take.

So what do I do now? As everyone knows, this drug is the major key to stopping hair loss. I will obviously continue Minoxidil and Ketoconazole, but this seems like it's not going to be enough to do anything major. Or at least that's what most information here has led me to believe.

I am not comfortable with making any sort of topical formulas out of pills, so I would rather stay away from those options as well.

So what's the next step? If you can't take Finasteride (which I assume also includes Dutasteride), do you just give up?

BEHMESH

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm in the same situation as you. I got chest pains (and puffiness) after a week on it and I just stopped taking it almost 2 weeks in. I'm relying totally on minoxidil now. I also got various different side effects, but they weren't anything to worry about.

Unfortunately, I began shedding as a result and now that I no longer take finasteride, I'm worried about my hair loss accelerating.

Follically Challenged

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Topical nettle's leaf, bayberry extract, pygeum, green tea extract are possibilities.

http://www.hairsite.com discusses a lot of topical treatments which help you in reducing the dht in your scalp. i don't know if these work but they are worth a try.

also, I am wondering if Avodart might work. maybe the side effects you are experiencing is from the drug, and a different drug may be different in terms of side effects, even though they do pretty much the same thing. i'm just a layman so i have no idea if that even makes any sense.

Aker

Reaction score
Cassin said:
Do a search for Dr Proctor.

I've seen his products, but I'm still confused about the effectiveness. In each thread I've read, people who were going to try Proxiphen just vanished and never replied about its effectiveness vs the normal regimens. If it's that much of a benefit, I'd be willing to try it, but I'm not sure I'm willing to test it without some testimonials.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
Dr. Proctor has made a very strong and bold statement about Proxiphen in the past on alt.baldspot: he said that Proxiphen is "unquestionably more effective than Propecia". Seems like he wouldn't make such a bold statement if he didn't believe it to be true.

Bryan

Cassin

Reaction score
Aker said:
Cassin said:
Do a search for Dr Proctor.

I've seen his products, but I'm still confused about the effectiveness. In each thread I've read, people who were going to try Proxiphen just vanished and never replied about its effectiveness vs the normal regimens. If it's that much of a benefit, I'd be willing to try it, but I'm not sure I'm willing to test it without some testimonials.

Well then how many options do you think you have?

bubka

Reaction score
totally, i am just waiting for Dr. Proctor to show some results that even come close to results that are "unquestionably" better than propecia... he is "unquestionably" a salesmen

G

Dr Lee believes that azelaic acid inhibits 98% of DHT. Most people on this site doubt that claim. Only seems reasonable for there to be skepticism of a Proctor claim as welll. Both are well-respected doctors.

Aker

Reaction score
Cassin said:
Well then how many options do you think you have?

I really don't know, that's why I had asked. The most skeptical thing about Dr. Proctor's products for me is that numerous people here seem to back his claims, yet it doesn't seem like they've used the product or had results from it.

I'm surprised you seem so hostile when all I'm asking is for options. Do you use Proxiphen? Has it grown your hair back without Finasteride?

No offense to anyone, but I've seen Dr. Proctors claims posted here quite a few times yet I've not seen results from even a single person yet. I would gladly pay the money for a product that works, including anything Dr. Proctor sells.

Can someone tell me why so many people recommend his products on these forums if nobody has gotten results from them yet? It really feels like he's paying some people in some way (money or product) to say these things.

Edit:
I remember a number of people who posted they were using Proxiphen the past few months, and that was even some months ago. They never came back to speak of their results, yet they continued to post elsewhere on the forum. That's mainly where my skepticism lies. I have nothing against any doctors or anyone here, I just can't afford to spend $1200 a year on a product that hasn't worked for anyone.

KiLLuMiNaTi

Established Member
Reaction score
man this poor guy asked a question and NO ONE gave him a straight answer this site is bullcrap you guys just talk a load of sh*t

joseph49853

Experienced Member
Reaction score
JayMan said:
Dr Lee believes that azelaic acid inhibits 98% of DHT. Most people on this site doubt that claim. Only seems reasonable for there to be skepticism of a Proctor claim as welll. Both are well-respected doctors.

This is a very fair statement. I personally wouldn't trust any doctor with his/her own line of products. That's just me. Or at least, I would take every piece of advice with a grain of salt, and fact check every statement, or demand some sort of citation or qualification.

joseph49853

Experienced Member
Reaction score
KiLLuMiNaTi said:
man this poor guy asked a question and NO ONE gave him a straight answer this site is bullcrap you guys just talk a load of $#iT

I don't really believe there's any cut-and-dried answer that applies to everyone.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
bubka said:
totally, i am just waiting for Dr. Proctor to show some results that even come close to results that are "unquestionably" better than propecia... he is "unquestionably" a salesmen

HUH?? Come on, bubka, you know as well as I do that there are before-and-after pics of one of his users on his Web site. They're VERY impressive.

Bryan

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
Aker said:
The most skeptical thing about Dr. Proctor's products for me is that numerous people here seem to back his claims, yet it doesn't seem like they've used the product or had results from it.

I've previously posted a list of about a dozen glowing reports of Proxiphen usage from people on alt.baldspot. Do you want me to post that again?

Bryan

G

Bryan said:
bubka said:

HUH?? Come on, bubka, you know as well as I do that there are before-and-after pics of one of his users on his Web site. They're VERY impressive.

Bryan

Bryan, I think bubka wants to see comprehensive results from many users like they did in the Propecia studies for FDA approval, which will probably never happen. That's why I think he has a problem with the use of the word "unquestionable" when comparing it to Propecia.

Aker

Reaction score
Bryan said:
I've previously posted a list of about a dozen glowing reports of Proxiphen usage from people on alt.baldspot. Do you want me to post that again?

I would actually love to see them, thanks Bryan! Also, if you would, please post the users who have not had a positive experience in using Proxiphen!