What the heck is Oz Brew?

BadHairDecade

Reaction score
I hear about this stuff on a few hairloss forums but I can't seem to find the ingredients. Anyone know?

Cassin

Reaction score
Stay far far away from that BHD.

Go to HLH and do a search on it, you should come up wiht hundreds of posts on it as that site has many users on it. OZ Brew was created by one guy and he posted amazing results and all hell has broken lose. HairLossTalk.com posted a artical or something a year ago that discussed guys blacking out and things like that. It is basically DMSO and minoxidil at it's core.

Look up what DMSO is and tell me if you want that on your head..... :)

If you want to increase your minoxidil absorbtion rate, look into minoxidil + Retin-A on good'ol Dr Lee's site.

Shave my poodle

Established Member
Reaction score
cassin said:
Stay far far away from that BHD.

Go to HLH and do a search on it, you should come up wiht hundreds of posts on it as that site has many users on it. OZ Brew was created by one guy and he posted amazing results and all hell has broken lose. HairLossTalk.com posted a artical or something a year ago that discussed guys blacking out and things like that. It is basically DMSO and minoxidil at it's core.

Look up what DMSO is and tell me if you want that on your head..... :)

If you want to increase your minoxidil absorbtion rate, look into minoxidil + Retin-A on good'ol Dr Lee's site.

Nonsense. The majority of DMSO users have no side-effects other than initial stinky breath.

There was a single report on HLH of someone having red puffy eyes from using it (2/3 times too much) the other year but it was later revealed that he put in contact lenses after putting the stuff on his head.

If you look into DMSO you'll find if used carefully its has many benefits such as a powerful anti-inflammatory and free radical scavenger.

If you're carefull with the stuff it can be of great benefit.

Cassin

Reaction score
I read a few threads of people having severe reactions, granted that was around DEC when I looked them up, Could have been a trend I suppose. If you are a frequent psoter there I am sure you are way more up to date on it than me.

BadHairDecade

Reaction score
yea I don't think I'll be taking that route unless I'm really desperate. I was just curious as to what was in the stuff.

Snipes

Reaction score
I've heard a lot of good stuff about it...but I think I would only use it as a plan C or D.

jag4556

Reaction score
I've had pretty good results from a 65% DMSO / 35% MSM spray solution I substitute for minoxidil 5% every third morning. I use 70/30 DMSO & distilled water (99.9999% pure) from dmso.net. The MSM is a liquid MSM solution from Vitamin Shoppe (about $8 for an 8oz bottle). My hope is that, based on the research I've done, the DMSO is reversing some of the fibrosis that has taken place since my hair loss began and is transporting the MSM directly to the cellular level in the hair follicles where it can do the most good. Alone it may not make much of a difference, but as a part of my regimen combination, I definitely think this modified oz brew is helping me gain some ground after 15 yrs of slow but steady loss.

eidos

Reaction score
Definately not dangerous.

MR Oz also operates a newsgroup, and there is quite a few people from all around there, a lot of whoom have quite some succes with the Brew. Posts like "sprouting hair gallore" are not unheard of...but ofcourse, for some it doesn't work.

Myself, i would never use the brew because it's drug stuff, but i did the DMSO peel and i think it helped...definately clear and cleans up your scalp (inside out, removes fibrsosis) so the topicals can have better effect. And i had no sideeffect from DMSO whatsoever, not even the stink.

BTW news groupserver adress is 216.199.247.100 if anyone wants to go over and those that use it questions.

BadHairDecade

Reaction score
If you just want a peel use retin-A. It's probably a lot safer than DMSO.

BHD

eidos

Reaction score
But not as half as effective.

I'm not saying DMSO is aloe vera, but used once in a while it's really no problem. I've also had DMSO tested on electronic level on myself and it showed there's no danger. I even used for 15 straith days at full strenght and never got even any irritation. I know i've read posts from guys who just poored the stuff on themselves and all was well. BTW DMSO dissolves...hm, don't know what's it called in english, but the stuff scars are made off...in other words, you can get rid of scars with DMSO (with even as little as half strenght), so it definately has a wide variety of uses. And yes, i do believe it removes the fibrosis.

It is also true it's not something to mess around with. It goes right thru everything except for teeth and hairshatfs. I wouldn't feel comfortable using with anything else, esspecialy chems, or even on regular basis. Then again, there PHD DOctors who drink the stuff everyday. Oz himslef has side effect from the brew not unlike those with propercia, probably beacuse DMSO carries all the stuff he puts in the brew everywhere. But at least he has ton of hair from it, much more then anyone can get from finasteride. (from what i've gather so far). That being said, i'd rather go bald than use any of that chem crap, but to each his own.

BTW I'm not saying that it's definately good for everybody, perhaps there are certain conditions that can make it harmful, i just don't know of any. And i never heard of any bad stories apart from the eyeguy, wich is not really confirmed.

HairlossTalk

Reaction score
Cassin said:
OZ Brew was created by one guy and he posted amazing results and all hell has broken lose.
I know and am personal friends with Oz online, and while he's a great guy, I would never in a million years suggest my users use his mix. Even he said at the top of his own website to use at your own risk. He covered the page with warnings about the risks involved. I would not say its "nonsense" to question its safety. Its actually quite good sense.

Shave said:
There was a single report on HLH of someone having red puffy eyes from using it
There was more than that. Maybe it wasn't on HLH but there *were* reports of bleeding skin on top, cracking bleeding scalp, and at least one or two guys who literally blacked out while walking to their car in the parking lot.

The fact is its absolutely idiotic to use a chemical when we don't know what it may or may not do to someone.

I had Angela Christiano of Columbia university review both the ingredients and the scalp peel method, and she wrote me back appalled and upset that people were putting this stuff on their heads. I have to go with her assessment over some anonymous guy on the internet. She does this stuff for a living and knows exactly what risks are involved.

HairLossTalk.com

HairlossTalk

Reaction score
Here is Oz himself discussing the safety of his own product:

"I post my regimen on a web site cause I am tired of repeating the same sh*t over and aver again, and I am asked for PICTURES to prove my claims ! Like I need to prove my claims!. What happens next if someone tries the brew and doesnt work , my pics are faked? , they want a refuund on their DMSO ? I am liable for their bleeding scalp?

In all truth I am tired of this. There's no winning this sh*t. so I am asking someone to take over the NG , I dont need this in my life. It brings no joy to me to have my motives questioned or to be considered less than honest in my intentions. As I have spent money time and put my health at risk finding MY hairloss solution, you all can do the same. I am done with advise and favors."

eidos

Reaction score
Actually, Oz is still there and quite willing to answer to any questions.

AFAIK i think the brew to be less harmfull that finasteride. Plus, when you talk about the brew (the mix is something else), you're talking about Rogaine, L-Argentine, MSM and caffetine (of late) with a little bit of DMSO, so you're not talking about DMSO. DMSO of it's own is something else. I wouldn't suggest the brew either.

Red Rose

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I concur with what the last guy said.

Most people over at HLH are using only 5-10ml DMSO with minoxidil together with MSM, L-arginine etc.

Before getting entangled into a debate I would invite the uninformed to use the search facility over at HLH and to peruse the tons of links there before deciding on the merits of oz brew.

I get the impression that the majority of posters here don't know anything about the stuff and making unsubstantiated claims and indulging in misguided conjecture and hearsay is not going to serve the best interests of people on this board who have a right to make up their own mind, albeit even with anecdotal evidence.

HairlossTalk

Reaction score
Red Rose said:
making unsubstantiated claims
This could be said about the proponents of the Brew too, couldn't it?

Red rose said:
indulging in misguided conjecture
This could be said about the proponents of the Brew too, couldn't it?

Red rose said:
This could be said about the anonymous posters claiming results too, couldn't it?

HairLossTalk.com

Cassin

Reaction score
Red Rose said:
Before getting entangled into a debate I would invite the uninformed to use the search facility over at HLH and to peruse the tons of links there before deciding on the merits of oz brew.

And while your at it.... please notice the hordes of people who have quit using it and are now on the other fads of the month. :) :) :)

Petchsky

Reaction score
What exactly is fibrosis? i have searched the internet but was deludged by info on cystic fibrosis, so no answers for me there.

G

Cassin said:
Red Rose said:

And while your at it.... please notice the hordes of people who have quit using it and are now on the other fads of the month. :) :) :)

Indeed, bacause in my view it doesent seem to work for many people thats why.

Seems to work very well for some people and does zilch for the rest or even make there hair worse. Kinda strange. Been on oz brew now for 14 months, still the best topical ive personally used.

Wanker

Reaction score
Seeing as it can act as an irritant to some it may be harmful to follicles. It is known to carry substances across the skin. It could be a good delivery system for topicals if it were proven safe, I wouldn't touch the stuff in a million years personally.

Heres the MSDS, it doesnt sound very harmful though:

MATERIAL SAFETY DATA SHEET MSDS #GCC1-7 DIMETHYL SULFOXIDE (DMSO) August 20, 2004 PRODUCT NAME: Dimethyl Sulfoxide (DMSO) CHEMICAL NAME: Dimethyl Sulfoxide SYNONYMS/TRADE NAMES: Enviro S®, dimethyl sulphoxide, methyl sulfoxide, sulfinylbis [methane] MOLECULAR FORMULA: C2H6OS MOLECULAR WEIGHT: 78.13 USE of the substance: Solvent for manufacture of pharmaceuticals, fine chemicals and polymers. MANUFACTURER/SUPPLIER: GAYLORD CHEMICAL CORPORATION P. O. BOX 1209 SLIDELL, LA 70459-1209 EMERGENCY HEALTH, SAFETY & ENVIRONMENTAL INFORMATION, CALL: Gaylord Chemical Corporation (985) 649-5464 (8:00 am - 5:00 pm CST) (985) 732-8662 (Nights and Weekends) EMERGENCY TRANSPORTATION INFORMATION, CALL: CHEMTREC (800) 424-9300 OTHER INFORMATION, CALL: Gaylord Chemical Corporation (985) 649-5464 Hazardous Ingredients CAS No EINECS Weight % OSHA PEL ACGIH TLV® Dimethyl Sulfoxide 67-68-5 200-664-3 ≥99% Not established Not established NTP/IARC/OSHA CARCINOGEN: No EC Classifications (R or S phrases): None Required WARNING! COMBUSTIBLE LIQUID AND VAPOR 1. CHEMICAL PRODUCT AND COMPANY IDENTIFICATION 2. COMPOSITION/INFORMATION ON INGREDIENTS 3. HAZARDS IDENTIFICATION PHYSICAL APPEARANCE: Clear liquid ODOR: Essentially odorless EFFECTS OF OVEREXPOSURE: General: DMSO has shown very few toxic symptoms in humans. The most common are nausea, skin rashes and an unusual garlic-onion-oyster smell on body and breath. Inhalation: High vapor concentrations may cause headache, dizziness, and sedation. Eyes: Low hazard for usual industrial/ commercial handling by trained personnel. Skin: Stinging and burning of the skin as well as rashes and vesicles have been seen. A heat reaction may occur if applied to wet skin. Avoid contact with DMSO solutions containing toxic material or materials whose toxicological properties are not known. DMSO easily penetrates the skin and may enhance the rate of skin absorption of skin-permeable substances. But because of DMSO’s low toxicity and its inability to carry less-permeable substances with it through the skin, it can be concluded that DMSO does not pose a significant threat by skin absorption. Ingestion: A low ingestion hazard. HMIS AND NFPA HAZARD RATINGS: Health - 1, Flammability - 1, Chemical Reactivity - 0 Note: HMIS and NFPA ratings involve data and interpretations that may vary from company to company. In both cases the lower the number, the less the hazard. They are intended only for rapid, general identification of the magnitude of the specific hazard. To deal adequately with the safe handling of this material, all the information contained in this MSDS must be considered.
MATERIAL SAFETY DATA SHEET August 20, 2004
DIMETHYL SULFOXIDE (DMSO) MSDS GCC1-7
NEVER GIVE FLUIDS OR INDUCE VOMITING IF PATIENT IS UNCONSCIOUS OR IS HAVING CONVULSIONS. General advice: Remove contaminated clothing promptly (launder before reuse). Eye Contact: Flush thoroughly with running water (including under eyelids) for at least 15 minutes. If irritation persists after flushing, seek medical attention. Skin Contact: Wash contaminated skin with water. Seek medical attention if irritation persists. Ingestion: Seek immediate medical care. Do not induce vomiting. Inhalation: Remove to fresh air. If breathing has stopped, provide artificial respiration, keep the victim warm and seek medical attention. Special advice: In general, DMSO is not dangerous to people, but like any other chemical, it should be treated with care, respect and common sense. Combustible liquid and vapor Extinguishing Media: Foam, carbon dioxide, dry powder, and water spray. Special protective equipment for fire-fighters: Wear a self-contained Breathing Apparatus (SCBA). Special Exposure Hazards: Burning dimethyl sulfoxide produces poisonous gases (sulfur oxides). Wear rubber gloves, SCBA, and rubber suit. Flashpoint and method: 89oC (192oF) closed cup 95oC (203oF) open cup Flammable Limits (% in air): LEL: 3.0 - 3.5% by volume UEL: 42 - 63% by volume Autoignition Temperature: 300-302oC (572-575oF) Spill, Leak, or Release: Note: Review sections 3, 4, and 5 of this MSDS before proceeding with clean up. Use appropriate PERSONAL PROTECTIVE EQUIPMENT during clean up. Personal Precautions: 4. FIRST AID MEASURES 5. FIRE-FIGHTING MEASURES 6. ACCIDENTAL RELEASE MEASURES In case of mist formation use a respirator or Self-Contained Breathing Apparatus (SCBA). Environmental Precautions: If a spill or leak occurs, immediately consult your environmental supervisor. Remove ignition sources. Ventilate the area. Do not breathe the vapor or get liquid in eyes or on skin/clothing. Spill Clean-up Methods: Dilute and flush to wastewater treatment or absorb with inert material. Do not allow the material to enter streams or waterways. Recommended Decontamination Facilities: Eye bath, water washing facilities
MATERIAL SAFETY DATA SHEET August 20, 2004
DIMETHYL SULFOXIDE (DMSO) MSDS GCC1-7
Usage/Handling Precautions: Keep away from sources of ignition. No Smoking. Do not breathe vapor or mist. Avoid contact with skin, eyes, or clothing. Storage Precautions: Keep container tightly closed, in a well-ventilated place. Freezes (solidifies) at 18oC (64oF) Exposure Limits: ACGIH Threshold Limit Value (TLV): not established OSHA (USA) Permissible Exposure Limit (PEL, 1989 Table Z-1-A values or section-specific standards): not established AIHA Workplace Environmental Exposure Level “WEELâ€