What kind of styling products do you use?

Logann

My Regimen
Reaction score
Just curious about the styling products that system wearers use? If you could be specific about brand, what kind of hold, and the results (good and bad experiences). Just trying to do more research on what products are best for systems, which ones to stay away from, and of course those that won't shorten the life of the system. Even better if you could be specific on what kind of system you wear and the length of your hair or hair style when using these products as well! I am curious to see what has/hasn't worked for people out there!

deg_dilemma

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Totally agree Steve.

Logann - in a nutshell, stay away from all styling products as much as possible. Just use leave-in conditioners. That's my take anyway.

Derelict

My Regimen
Reaction score
So people using a system can't style their hair with wax or gel at all? what about natural gels made from olive oil, argan oil etc?

Fanjeera

Reaction score
Nothing. They don't seem to be good for the hair as I want to wash it as infrequently as possible. Hairsprays that probably could be removed with just water have alcohol in them. Alcohol dries the hair. Hairdirect sells alcohol free hairsprays, though, and I am going to try them soon.

If leave-in conditioner is considired a styling product, then that. Also water.

cottonReville

My Regimen
Reaction score
Obviously leave-in - serums are my favorite. They really make the hair look ultra realistic & healthy, while preventing tangling, making brushing less destructive. They're much more viscous than the traditional, light spray leave-ins people here seem to gravitate toward.

If I'm dealing w/ a medium density unit, I find that serums ARE A MUST to give the hair the illusion of being real.

Ultra-thick hair is always questionable, even when it's real.

Logann

My Regimen
Reaction score
Obviously leave-in - serums are my favorite. They really make the hair look ultra realistic & healthy, while preventing tangling, making brushing less destructive. They're much more viscous than the traditional, light spray leave-ins people here seem to gravitate toward.

If I'm dealing w/ a medium density unit, I find that serums ARE A MUST to give the hair the illusion of being real.

Ultra-thick hair is always questionable, even when it's real.
This sounds like a must try. Do you have any brand preferences?

cottonReville

My Regimen
Reaction score
John Freda's Frizz Ease range is extensive & there was a product in it which was outstanding. I mean, really, really game-changing.

I'm looking online now & can't with any confidence say which one it was (or maybe the name's been changed or the product's been discontinued.).

I presently use a Tresamme's alternative - it's cut from the same cloth but simply not as good. It's something like 3-5 dollars compared to Fred's ~15 USD or so product. I bought it because I couldn't find the Freda last time.

Be certain to use very little.

deg_dilemma

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
John Freda's Frizz Ease range is extensive & there was a product in it which was outstanding. I mean, really, really game-changing.

I'm looking online now & can't with any confidence say which one it was (or maybe the name's been changed or the product's been discontinued.).

I presently use a Tresamme's alternative - it's cut from the same cloth but simply not as good. It's something like 3-5 dollars compared to Fred's ~15 USD or so product. I bought it because I couldn't find the Freda last time.

Be certain to use very little.

When you find it please do put a link here for everyone.

TEG

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
So people using a system can't style their hair with wax or gel at all? what about natural gels made from olive oil, argan oil etc?
sure you can, but you should stay away from doing it. I rarely use anything except spray leave-in conditioner. Maybe If I am going to a wedding or something I will add a little gel or even pomade.

Noah

Reaction score
Systems usually look better without too much heavy product like wax, paste, gel etc. You will not be washing the system as often as you would wash your biohair, so there is a risk of product building up and making the system look heavy and fake.

That said, I use a leave-in conditioner, mostly because of the sunscreen that comes with it. I also sometimes use a small amount of argan oil. I find it seems to soak in or evaporate, so it doesn't build up on the hair.

If you do want to use wax or gel, instead of applying it daily, try to re-use the same product by deactivating it with a comb dipped in warm water.

cottonReville

My Regimen
Reaction score
The beauty of using gel, etc. - if you like that aesthetic (which I do) - is it further lends itself to the illusion that your hair is real.

The average person's idea of what a wig or toupee is, isn't very accurate.

Further, styling products, like @Noah said, can be reused - which is especially true if you don't sleep w/ your piece, or sleep w/ a satin cap on, a habit I couldn't recommend more.

Fanjeera

Reaction score
The beauty of using gel, etc. - if you like that aesthetic (which I do) - is it further lends itself to the illusion that your hair is real.

Further, styling products, like @Noah said, can be reused - which is especially true if you don't sleep w/ your piece, or sleep w/ a satin cap on, a habit I couldn't recommend more.
Gel in particular or all styling products?

Logann

My Regimen
Reaction score
Systems usually look better without too much heavy product like wax, paste, gel etc. You will not be washing the system as often as you would wash your biohair, so there is a risk of product building up and making the system look heavy and fake.

That said, I use a leave-in conditioner, mostly because of the sunscreen that comes with it. I also sometimes use a small amount of argan oil. I find it seems to soak in or evaporate, so it doesn't build up on the hair.

If you do want to use wax or gel, instead of applying it daily, try to re-use the same product by deactivating it with a comb dipped in warm water.
I haven't been using any leave-in or anything the past couple of days and the hair definitely looks healthier. Do you mind sharing the brand of leave-in that you use with the sunscreen in it?

Noah

Reaction score
This is the stuff I use, which you can get from Amazon.

IMG_8639.PNG

Diesel guy

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I
This is the stuff I use, which you can get from Amazon.

View attachment 151475

A word of caution: Not all leave in conditioners have SPF properties. I use 'Its a 1-10', and it has no Sunscreen protection in it. - at least nowhere where I read or found. I guess I just assumed it did. I found only one leave in product that did have sunscreen. So I found a stand alone product along with my leave in. While the leave in is a styling agent - the SPF is a light mist and really doesn't add any styling benefit.

Diesel guy

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

I use American Crew hair gel - I like a bit of the wet look as well. What I do is put about a dime sized dollop in my palm, as well as leave in conditioner. Rub it together then run fingers thru my hair. It gives the the best of both products - I get the wet look without the stiffness of having helmet-head from the gel.

Fanjeera

Reaction score

This is quite good. As it's from Hairdirect, I guess it doesn't hurt the hair too much. There still is some alcohol in it, but it's listed 3rd, so hopefully not too much.

Bought some others that are alcohol free as well, but haven't tested yet. Alcohol free hairspray definitely isn't a common product, so Hairdirect is the only place I know that sells them.