What Is Your Current Hair Loss Treatment Regimen?

Generic question: Do you use Finasteride at the moment?

• Yes

Votes: 34 63.0%
  • No

Votes: 20 37.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Maxxorr

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
hello :)

it's time for a big survey about everything ;):cool:

1. What is your current hair loss treatment regimen?
  2. Are you satisfied with the results?
  3. Are you planing to change your regimen in the very near future? (adding, discontinuing, or leave everything as it is)
  4. What are your (hard-headed) wishes and hopes for the next 3 years?
  5. Anything else? (General thoughts, hair loss philosophy, research and future outlook, Weltschmerz...)

Last edited:

Michael1986

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
1. Dutasteride 0.5mg each day
2. Yes, very satisfied
3. Not planning to change anything unless the treatment starts to lose its effectiveness. Then I may add a low dose of oral minoxidil
4. That I'll be able to continue maintaining on dutasteride. Thinking wishfully, that a safer alternative to 5ar inhibitors will come out
5. Advice: an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure, so start treating your hair loss at the very first signs of loss

davesmith420

My Regimen
Reaction score
1. Dutasteride 0.5mg each day
2. Yes, very satisfied
3. Not planning to change anything unless the treatment starts to lose its effectiveness. Then I may add a low dose of oral minoxidil
4. That I'll be able to continue maintaining on dutasteride. Thinking wishfully, that a safer alternative to 5ar inhibitors will come out
5. Advice: an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure, so start treating your hair loss at the very first signs of loss

Were you ever on finasteride or did you go directly on dutasteride?

Me:
1. Finasteride 1.25 mg daily.
2. Yes, no further loss although I have very non aggressive male pattern baldness
3. I mess around with minoxidil here and there but it hasn't down anything for me.
4. Continue to maintain on finasteride. Will add dutasteride if sh*t ever hits the fan.

Last edited:

AnxiousAndy

My Regimen
Reaction score
1. 10mg Loniten and 1.25mg of finasteride. I also use S5 plus cream most nights on hairline
2. finasteride made me lose a fair bit of ground, added in loniten and seem to be slowly regaining ground so im slightly satisfied.
3. I may drop finasteride in the future, i dont think its helping me but it may be maintaining my crown ( never had loss there in the first place though )
4. Good regrowth and maintenance with no side effects
5. I want a treatment/cure that regrows everything and is affordable lol

Balding Virgin

My Regimen
Reaction score
  1. dutasteride 0.5 mg/d, finasteride 1.25 mg/d, RU 200 mg/d, 10mg/ml AHK-Cu mixed in Garnier Fructis Stemoxydine 5ml/d, minoxidil 5% on hairline+temples only 0.5 ml/d
  2. Are you satisfied with the results? no
  3. No, unless I get unbearable side effects, or a "cure" comes into the market
  4. that I'll regrow my 10 year old hairline and temples. If that fails, I (c)hope to at least maintain what little hair I have, then get a transplant.
  5. thick NW0 or DEATH!!!

DHTpolice

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
  1. Finasteride 1.25 mg/d, Spironolactone 200 mg/d (100 mg/morning, 100 mg/evening), Cyproterone acetate 12.5 mg/d;
  2. Obviously better than the baseline, but I am still waiting for a more significant improvement after adding Estradiol and Minoxidil;
  3. Yes, will add estrogens, oral: Progynova 2-4 mg/day or Qlaira and topical: Estrogel or Divigel; topical Minoxidil, 5% + dermaroller and some oral Minoxidil; also maybe will replace Finasteride on Dutasteride, but that's not for sure;
  4. Norwood 0 and teenage density;
  5. Hair transplant in Turkey plus SMP as a last resort.

johndoe89

My Regimen
Reaction score
  1. finasteride 1 mg + minoxidil 5% foam
  2. Yes! :) Even my hair dresser (who has cut my hair since I was 8 years old) commented that my hair is now thicker and there seems to be more of it.
  3. Not for now at least.
  4. That I continue to maintain what I have I guess.
  5. The shedding process can be very noticeable and last longer than a couple of weeks. It lasted 2-3 months for me. Stick with it and remember thicker hairs will grow back.

Eren

Established Member
Reaction score
1. On finasteride 1.25mg EOD for 3.75 years
2. Not at all
3. Considered to add minoxidil but not easily available where I live and too expensive in the local pharmacies. Waiting for new meds.
4. Hoping to get robust hair instead of thickened vellus hair that are weak, limp, lusterless, flat (angle of growth of the hair changed after male pattern baldness turned hair into vellus hair) and thus useless. No styling possible, so I am stuck with one pathetic look.
5. I literally have no hope whatsoever at all for the future. I am very depressed/extremely down and have a very pessimistic view of life for the last 6.75 years (male pattern baldness started in the beginning of 2011). Life truly sucks now, though the word "sucks" doesn't really convey my situation nor the very dark and depressed thoughts that I have regarding everything in general. I have been told that a hair transplant isn't an option for a diffuser so that was another blow.

Finjunkie

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
finasteride 1mg every day.

Works great, maintained everything for over five years now.

Not changing anything, might be able to get some regrowth by going crazy with a regiment but maintaining is fine for me and I like the simplicity.

Hoping to keep maintaining with finasteride alone for another decade at least, until I'm old and ragged enough to not give a crap.

I think many guys overcomplicate things. I maintained with finasteride and it took years to be sure. Some people change regiments every 6 mos or more, not sure how you could see if anything was working at that rate.

1knox1

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
finasteride 1mg every day.

Works great, maintained everything for over five years.

This is probably a typical result for someone who starts finasteride at a reasonable stage and seems to coincide well with the Rossi study.

You can still search posts from hlh on trials and studies of both finasteride and dutasteride. The knowledge and depth of the research of studies from people like Bryan and decadetwo was phenomenal.

AnxiousAndy

My Regimen
Reaction score
Never heard of this before. Is it any good?

Do I need a doctor to get this prescribed?
S5 and S5 plus cream can be bought from this website no prescription needed, just type into google HairLossTalk S5 cream.
For spironolactone yes you would need a prescription, but no doctor would prescribe it. You need to buy it online, i bought mine from AllDayChemist without a prescription when i was experimenting with it.

AnxiousAndy

My Regimen
Reaction score
  1. dutasteride 0.5 mg/d, finasteride 1.25 mg/d, RU 200 mg/d, 10mg/ml AHK-Cu mixed in Garnier Fructis Stemoxydine 5ml/d, minoxidil 5% on hairline+temples only 0.5 ml/d
  2. Are you satisfied with the results? no
  3. No, unless I get unbearable side effects, or a "cure" comes into the market
  4. that I'll regrow my 10 year old hairline and temples. If that fails, I (c)hope to at least maintain what little hair I have, then get a transplant.
  5. thick NW0 or DEATH!!!
Your username is simutaneously depressing and hilarious. I dont understand how someone ( like you ) can be on a sh*t load of treatments and presumably lose ground while someone else gets great results with just finasteride? It is madness. I really wish finasteride worked for me, but nope we have to go the radical route for some hairs lol :(

Finjunkie

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
AnxiousAndy, I think a lot of it is managing expectations. I was just hoping to maintain what I had. It seems the vast majority of regulars on hairloss forums are looking for regrowth or don't take finasteride/dutasteride.

IMO the reason for the disparity in results between people using dutasteride/finasteride and everything else is because effectiveness drops from 90% to nearly zero. Unlike most conditions there's only 2 FDA treatments. A damn shame for how common hairloss is, but our reality.

While I feel for the guys without enough donor to get hair transplant, I wish everyone else would just do it. I've spent so much time researching, buying crap, going to doctor, etc... If I had been working those hours even at minimum wage I would have the money to get a hair transplant.

Last edited:

Maxxorr

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
While I feel for the guys without enough donor to get hair transplant, I wish everyone else would just do it. I've spent so much time researching, buying crap, going to doctor, etc... If I had been working those hours even at minimum wage I would have the money to get a hair transplant.
Seems like we are obsessing too much ^^

Balding Virgin

My Regimen
Reaction score
Never heard of this before. Is it any good?

Probably not, but it's cheap. If anything, it gives minimal regrowth at best. There's no way I can tell, since I restarted RU58841 and AHK-CU at the same time.

Your username is simutaneously depressing and hilarious. I dont understand how someone ( like you ) can be on a sh*t load of treatments and presumably lose ground while someone else gets great results with just finasteride? It is madness. I really wish finasteride worked for me, but nope we have to go the radical route for some hairs lol :(

My scalp is itching like crazy right now. I have very aggressive retrograde alopecia and have been balding since my teens. Hairloss runs rampant in my family(on both sides), even in the women. All the men 50+ are NW7/8 on my dad's side. I should consider myself lucky if I could manage to maintain my severely diffused NW3 until I'm 30, but I'm still thinning as of right now.

I'll give it a year or two before I lose all hope. I'm way too optimistic about these "treatments".

Michael1986

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Just started topical finasteride, thinking of going to oral.
I would go to oral straightaway. There's very little evidence that topical finasteride works, and even if it were to work it is most likely only due to the portion of it that has been absorbed into the bloodstream.

Indeed! Wise words! That was my fault. I waited too long for miracle cures....
Thanks. Yeah it is basically true that the sooner you start treating it, the better your chances are of success. There's no time to be lost when it comes to male pattern baldness.

Were you ever on finasteride or did you go directly on dutasteride?
I went straight for Dutasteride. I consider myself a bit of a risk-taker by nature, so I thought I might as well just go straight for the most powerful thing out there and see how it goes. Turns out it has given me great results so I'm happy with the choice I made.

1. On finasteride 1.25mg EOD for 3.75 years
2. Not at all
3. Considered to add minoxidil but not easily available where I live and too expensive in the local pharmacies. Waiting for new meds.
4. Hoping to get robust hair instead of thickened vellus hair that are weak, limp, lusterless, flat (angle of growth of the hair changed after male pattern baldness turned hair into vellus hair) and thus useless. No styling possible, so I am stuck with one pathetic look.
5. I literally have no hope whatsoever at all for the future. I am very depressed/extremely down and have a very pessimistic view of life for the last 6.75 years (male pattern baldness started in the beginning of 2011). Life truly sucks now, though the word "sucks" doesn't really convey my situation nor the very dark and depressed thoughts that I have regarding everything in general. I have been told that a hair transplant isn't an option for a diffuser so that was another blow.
Have you thought about switching to dutasteride (assuming it is available where you live)? It looks like now is the time to consider it in your case.