What is Nizoral?

mommyof2

Reaction score
I am new to the medications and things to do for thinning hair.
I'm 27 and need help badly. My dr isnt very helpful and told me it was something to live with. I have noticed alot of the posters to the forums here mention Nizoral. What is it? Does it help?

mariejoe

Established Member
Reaction score
Nizoral is an anti-dandruff shampoo that controls flaking, scaling and itching.
It comes in two strengths: 1% is over-the-counter. It has a pleasant fragrance and works quite well. It is not real cheap, but you don't use it every day. 3x weekly, max. You don't want your scalp to get used to it. Alternate it with head and shoulders, or another shampoo.

Nizoral also comes in 2% solution, by prescription only. It is a lot stronger and irritates many scalp, incl. mine. If your scalp is already irritated from seb. derm.**, I would NOT recommend Nizoral 2% at this time.

I get Nizoral at drugstore.com. It is avalable at meijers, CVS, Walgreens and probably most larger stores.
I cannot say how well the generics of Nizoral work. No one here seems to use the off-brands.
Hope this helps. :)

**seborrheic dermatitis: a chronic skin disease associated with seborrhea and greasy scales on the scalp or eyelids or other parts of the skin
seborrhea: a disease of the sebaceous glands characterized by excessive secretion of sebum or an alteration in its quality, resulting in an oily coating, crusts, or scales on the skin.

flipgirl95

Reaction score
Just wanted to say that I use the Walgreens generic brand of Nizoral and it worked great and got rid of my dandruff.

Maxine

Reaction score
Nizoral

Dear Mommy2:
Nizoral or generic name Ketonazole has also been shown to reduce DHT on the scalp. DHT is what causes hair follicles to minaturize. So, it not only helps dandruff but supposedly helps our hair grow too!
Maxine