What Is Indian Remy Hair? Better Than Normal?

hair4meTomorrow

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
When did you last wash it? Mine feels heavier and coarser from the leave in conditioner build up. Until I wash it.

deg_dilemma

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
My remy hair always feels amazing and soft when it is new, but very quickly (within a month) starts to get coarse and rough.

But then, it's a lot easier to handle the hair and (for me) it is more realistic when it is coarser, because my natural hair isn't so soft at my age.

I reckon the new hair is probably chemically processed in some way, to make it softer. But that chemical wears off quite quickly... just mu thoughts though.

TooBad

My Regimen
Reaction score
When did you last wash it? Mine feels heavier and coarser from the leave in conditioner build up. Until I wash it.
I can certainly relate to this. I try to stretch shampooing out to no more than once a week, to preserve color. But every time I shampoo, it makes the hair 10 times nicer.... smoother and shinier. I condition daily, so product and leave in build up must be contributing to dryness.

cottonReville

My Regimen
Reaction score
I've only been wearing hair system for 10 weeks and all my system were 100% Indian Human hair. If you're looking for more analysis, I hope someone else can chime in.

This is my recently post:
My first DIY hair system experience
Quit using blow dryer for my hair system
Walker tape 1522 review/ Cleanup so much easier

I'm going to try Walker 1522. I've never tried a light tape. Every tape I've used so far has caused me contact dermatitis and White Glue is a mess...

Hair Newbie

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Deep conditioning can bring back my regular hair brand new out of the box softness feel again. Since I don't use any hair product, I only do shampooing and deep conditioning once a month. I used cold water rinse it every 7-10 days. If you use a lot of hair products, you want to make sure hair products are being removed when you wash it.

Last edited:

Hair Newbie

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm going to try Walker 1522. I've never tried a light tape. Every tape I've used so far has caused me contact dermatitis and White Glue is a mess...

I really like 1522 and I don't know why not many wearers using that?? It's much stronger than Got2B and easy to remove and clear. If I have a scalp issue, I would definitely do a daily remove to let my scalp rest at night. Good luck!

cottonReville

My Regimen
Reaction score
Ya, unfortunately, even with nightly removal, the dermatitis would eventually kick in.

The WG seems to work better but I haven't gotten it to work much better than 1 generous layer of Got2B on my poly perimeter. (Going thin and adding layers didn't seem to do anything.)

Hair Newbie

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
@cottonReville , If adhesives cause an allergic reaction for your scalp, What about hair clips? I heard some people get the best bond by using hairpiece clips.

Manny007

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I really like 1522 and I don't know why not many wearers using that?? It's much stronger than Got2B and easy to remove and clear. If I have a scalp issue, I would definitely do a daily remove to let my scalp rest at night. Good luck!

how many days of hold r u getting using 1522 tapes on poly?

Hair Newbie

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
@Manny007 ,
If I sweat a lot: 3-4 days
Working indoor: 4-7 days

If I'm wearing a system for more than a week or travel to some high humidity countries during summer. I would use stronger adhesives like Walker Ultra Hold tapes. 1522 might not be good for water sports too.

Last edited:

cottonReville

My Regimen
Reaction score
@cottonReville , If adhesives cause an allergic reaction for your scalp, What about hair clips? I heard some people get the best bond by using hairpiece clips.

I thought clips were for actual wigs with fabric in them?

Either way, doesn't sound appealing. I haven't given Ghostbond a fair shake yet as I've been very timid using it.

I'm going to need to trace the perimeter of my piece, apply several layers to scalp, and apply directly on. It simply doesn't seem to work when applied directly to poly - it doesn't even dry properly.

Hair Newbie

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
@cottonReville , I see a lot of youtube videos that show using glueless clips on the hair system can still achieve a natural look. I never use it myself, maybe some folks can chime in for their options.

BaldBearded

My Regimen
Reaction score
@cottonReville , I see a lot of youtube videos that show using glueless clips on the hair system can still achieve a natural look. I never use it myself, maybe some folks can chime in for their options.

It depends on the style and the amount of bio hair left. It won't work with thin back and sides. And you can certainly FEEL THE CLIPS (I found on my date was wearing one).

Manny007

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
@Manny007 ,
If I sweat a lot: 3-4 days
Working indoor: 4-7 days

If I'm wearing a system for more than a week or travel to some high humidity countries during summer. I would use stronger adhesives like Walker Ultra Hold tapes. 1522 might not be good for water sports too.

Thanks will order one online and give it a try since you mentioned it is easy to clean, how about Walker ultra hold tape whats the durability? Sorry for the questions want to start using tapes instead of glue, I want easy to clean method so exploring all the options

I tried supertape it holds good but cleaning is bit tough, I am using UTS

Hair Newbie

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
@Manny007

The Walker 1522 tape is very easy to clean up. Kind of like removing a strong strip band-aid. Remember, everyone's body chemistry is different, it varies from person to person so you really need to do some experiments to found what works best for you. I'm so lucky that my body chemistry has been fine for all the adhesives and I haven't had any bad reactions or issues. I would only use Walker ultra hold for the days that go swimming, scuba diving or waterpark.....

deg_dilemma

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Deep conditioning can bring back my regular hair brand new out of the box softness feel again. Since I don't use any hair product, I only do shampooing and deep conditioning once a month. I used cold water rinse it every 7-10 days. If you use a lot of hair products, you want to make sure hair products are being removed when you wash it.

HN, what do you use for deep conditioning, and how do you do it?

I never remove my system (I de/re front half and then back half), so could I still deep condition?

Hair Newbie

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
@deg_dilemma
Yes, you can deep conditioning for UTS without detaching. The conditioner will penetrate through underneath the lace and break down the adhesive but it should be fine on skin base. In order to do that, applying a Silicon mix after shampooing and then wrap a warm towel around the hair and cover the hair with a shower cap for 10 to 15 mins, rinsing the hair with water and done.

I use Silicon mix. Learn it from youtube ladies (links below)
You can skip the video to 4:14 to start

Hair2019

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I too have a question about different types of hair. My current stock system uses normal Indian hair, and is in fact very good quality and looks very natural. I've been told that Indian Remy and European hair are of higher quality, however the stylist from the salon I went to to fit my first hair system said I'd be fine with normal Indian hair and that I won't need Indian Remy etc. She said that European hair is very fine hair like baby hair and would just look stupid on me. So I don't know what to believe. I think the the thing is to try different types and see what I think looks best and most natural for me and with blending in with my own existing hair. The problem with ordering hair systems online is that you can't see exactly what you're getting until it arrives - unlike in a shop, where you can try things on (but this option doesn't really exist for hair systems).

TooBad

My Regimen
Reaction score
I too have a question about different types of hair. My current stock system uses normal Indian hair, and is in fact very good quality and looks very natural. I've been told that Indian Remy and European hair are of higher quality, however the stylist from the salon I went to to fit my first hair system said I'd be fine with normal Indian hair and that I won't need Indian Remy etc. She said that European hair is very fine hair like baby hair and would just look stupid on me. So I don't know what to believe. I think the the thing is to try different types and see what I think looks best and most natural for me and with blending in with my own existing hair. The problem with ordering hair systems online is that you can't see exactly what you're getting until it arrives - unlike in a shop, where you can try things on (but this option doesn't really exist for hair systems).
My understanding with regard to Remy hair is as follows:

The grand majority of hair used is Indian hair. Remy simply means that all the cuticles are facing the same direction, making it smooth and less prone to tangles. When hair is gathered from multiple sources and blended together, the cuticles usually go opposite/mixed directions and interfere with each other leading to knots and tangles.

That makes sense, but this is where it doesn't really matter....

The majority of systems that we're purchasing use highly processed hair, which by nature strips away the cuticle..... They are acid washed to remove the natural color, in preperation of dying. This process damages and often times completely removes the cuticle.... Now regardless which way the hair is facing, it's going to flow and be smooth (like unprocessed remy) because there are no opposing cuticles.

This is also why they lose color . When you warm the hair it opens the cuticle, then you dye it. As it cools, the cuticle closes and hair retains the dye under the cuticle. When you have no outer cuticle to protect the color, you're more prone to lose color every wash. I'm sure we've all experienced this.

This is how products such as Remy soft work
..They are nothing more than silicone. This is done to create a synthetic cuticle, around the hair..... you're essentially coating the hair.

So, in my opinion, this is much like "fairy dust" hype in a supplement...... When a popular ingredient such as creatine is used and marketed as an great/benificial ingredient.. in say an energy drink...It's recognized and hyped up by consumer's.... Yet in reality it's used in such small quantity that it's ineffective. It sounds great but in reality it is irrelevant.

The same is true with vendors advertising Remy hair.

I'm still considering trying European hair, to see for myself.

Last edited:

Hair2019

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
My understanding with regard to Remy hair is as follows:

The grand majority of hair used is Indian hair. Remy simply means that all the cuticles are facing the same direction, making it smooth and less prone to tangles. When hair is gathered from multiple sources and blended together, the cuticles usually go opposite/mixed directions and interfere with each other leading to knots and tangles.

That makes sense, but this is where it doesn't really matter....

The majority of systems that we're purchasing use highly processed hair, which by nature strips away the cuticle..... They are acid washed to remove the natural color, in preperation of dying. This process damages and often times completely removes the cuticle.... Now regardless which way the hair is facing, it's going to flow and be smooth (like unprocessed remy) because there are no opposing cuticles.

This is also why they lose color . When you warm the hair it opens the cuticle, then you dye it. As it cools, the cuticle closes and hair retains the dye under the cuticle. When you have no outer cuticle to protect the color, you're more prone to lose color every wash. I'm sure we've all experienced this.

This is how products such as Remy soft work
..They are nothing more than silicone. This is done to create a synthetic cuticle, around the hair..... you're essentially coating the hair.

So, in my opinion, this is much like "fairy dust" hype in a supplement...... When a popular ingredient such as creatine is used and marketiled as an ingredient.. in say an energy drink...It's recognized and hyped up by consumer's.... Yet in reality it's used in such a small quantity that it's ineffective. It sounds great but in reality it is irrelevant.

The same is true with vendors advertising Remy hair.

I'm still considering trying European hair, to see for myself.

Hey, thanks for your detailed reply. That all sounds very technical to me, but it was an excellent explanation :) So in other words, Indian Remy is basically all just hype, and in reality is no better than normal Indian hair?

As for European hair, I'm going to try it on a custom system at some point and see what it's like. That's the only way to find out for sure I guess.