What Happened To My Hair On Finasteride

bluecyclone

My Regimen
Reaction score
Fried my sh*t as well in just under two months, increased shed. Looks like you still have your density.

Ollie

My Regimen
Reaction score
It just looks very dry and unkept. When you reduce androgen levels you will produce much less sebum that lubricates the hair. I dont have this problem possibly because i work out everyday and get an oily scalp from sweating however its not uncommon others have experienced this.

Harv

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Fried my sh*t as well in just under two months, increased shed. Looks like you still have your density.

from the picture its difficult to see properly but ive lost alot of hairs thats why its like this now, single strands withering around. ive lost alot of density and have had no regrowth.
Yes i felt the first few weeks was when the finasteride did the most damage to my hair due to to hormonal shift, had crazy sides inc oily scalp & shoot in testosterone, now the sides have settled

Who Farted

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Jesus, looks like you stuck your finger into an outlet. You need to cut as much of the damaged hair off as possible and then start a regimen of products that can restore your hair to a healthy state.

At this point, it’s not worth the effort it would take to repair the damage. I’m honestly not even sure it’s possible; the ends absolutely have to go, but the condition of the cuticle will dictate how much, if any, of your current hair can be repaired. In any case, a hair stylist will be able to help you determine that, but be prepared for the possibility of having to buzz it off and start fresh.

Last edited:

bluecyclone

My Regimen
Reaction score
Propecia melted my hairline in about a month. As if this process doesn’t suck enough you have to gamble with known treatments doing more harm than good. The hair is literally fried like yours and an area that never really thinned is heading back an inch.

Attachments

• B12062A2-6D9A-4C75-9DED-E44A42F60BE9.jpeg
    B12062A2-6D9A-4C75-9DED-E44A42F60BE9.jpeg
    151.5 KB · Views: 382

Harv

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Jesus, looks like you stuck your finger into an outlet. You need to cut as much of the damaged hair off as possible and then start a regimen of products that can restore your hair to a healthy state.

At this point, it’s not worth the effort it would take to repair the damage. I’m honestly not even sure it’s possible; the ends absolutely have to go, but the condition of the cuticle will dictate how much, if any, of your current hair can be repaired. In any case, a hair stylist will be able to help you determine that, but be prepared for the possibility of having to buzz it off and start fresh.

Its not damaged hair, i get regular trims every 12weeks. It looks like that because ive had alot of hairs fall out on top and the result is those single hairs left on top.

iCurly

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
What hair care products do you use?. I’ve been on finasteride for 15months now . During the first 6 months my hair was frizzy and dry as hell. After I started using all natural shampoo and hair mask along with only washing my hair once every 2-3 days it looks healthy now. I also apply coconut oil after I use my hair mask. My hair looks perfectly fine now.

Harv

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
What hair care products do you use?. I’ve been on finasteride for 15months now . During the first 6 months my hair was frizzy and dry as hell. After I started using all natural shampoo and hair mask along with only washing my hair once every 2-3 days it looks healthy now. I also apply coconut oil after I use my hair mask. My hair looks perfectly fine now.

guys my hair is not damaged, thats not the issue its actually relatively healthy.
The issue is i used to have alot of frontal hairs on the top and all my hair would bunch together nicely and be normal looking thick and slowly since i took finasteride its fell out/pulled out and i have now little hair on the top. No amount of procucts will help it.
Finasteride reduces sebum to near enough 0 and that is a problem when regrowing hair, you cant replace that natural sebum which is produced from the roots with hair products. ( i get thats why my hair looks dry and sh*t because of little sebum in my scalp but its mainly because of hair falling out and not regrowing).

Harv

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
SO let me sum up a bit.

Your hair was fine.

You took finasteride.

Now Your hair isn't fine.

Lol

What do you think happens to alot of people when they first take finasteride - there is a sudden hormonal shift which the body reacts too and cosequently the scalp angrogen activity triggers. Common sides in the first few weeks is an increased libido/shoot in testosterone, sebum production drastically increases which causes oily scalp. So basically yes LOL the sudden shock to my system caused by finasteride caused my hairs to fall out and since havent recovered or showed signs of regrowth.
However, Iam not saying finasteride dosent work! after a month or so when the sides calmed down, my hair fallout has decreased alot and i no longer have as much inflammation and tingling in my scalp then previously as i did before i took finasteride. It was that first month which unfortnately damaged the state of my hair.

jxlegend

My Regimen
Reaction score
Stick with it. Finasteride works. You will not net lose hair long-term.

Aside, seems to be a lot of anti-finasteride talk here recently lol

Aside aside: huh, I've been on finasteride for at least 4 years judging by my join date. One of the best decisions of my life.

Harv

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

Aside aside: huh, I've been on finasteride for at least 4 years judging by my join date. One of the best decisions of my life.

it works well now but not in the first weeks for me due to my body reacting badly to the sudden hormonal change. (wish i did things differently in hindsight).
How did you react to finasteride initally?

Northface32

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

Same .5 for about 10 months and .25 two months before that, so a year on and my hair is better than it has been in years.... Dark, shiny and thick. Hoping it keeps getting better.

Northface32

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Also I've found that head and shoulders dry scalp care does a good job at keeping the scalp moisturized even in these cold dry days lately.

Incinerate

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
What do you think happens to alot of people when they first take finasteride - there is a sudden hormonal shift which the body reacts too and cosequently the scalp angrogen activity triggers. Common sides in the first few weeks is an increased libido/shoot in testosterone, sebum production drastically increases which causes oily scalp. So basically yes LOL the sudden shock to my system caused by finasteride caused my hairs to fall out and since havent recovered or showed signs of regrowth.
However, Iam not saying finasteride dosent work! after a month or so when the sides calmed down, my hair fallout has decreased alot and i no longer have as much inflammation and tingling in my scalp then previously as i did before i took finasteride. It was that first month which unfortnately damaged the state of my hair.

Yes it makes sense. That wasn't my point though. My point was, your hair was fine you shouldn't have started that treatment.

Derelict

My Regimen
Reaction score
Some people naturally have dry, frizzy looking hair, i do and even good conditioners don't make that much of a change.