What Happened To My Hair On Finasteride

Harv

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
ok as the person whos hair it is i would know if my hair has got dramatically worse. its not me being paranoid i do definately know my frontal hair keeps getting thinner as strands of hair slowly are coming out.

MKP05

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Stick with it. Finasteride works. You will not net lose hair long-term.

Aside, seems to be a lot of anti-finasteride talk here recently lol

Aside aside: huh, I've been on finasteride for at least 4 years judging by my join date. One of the best decisions of my life.

This comment really should be amended to “stick with it. Finasteride works for the majority. You will most likely not net lose hair long-term.”

I’ve been on it for a year and a half, have lost a lot of ground (especially at the temples) and I have pictures to prove it. I’m not anti finasteride. It’s the best approved treatment out there and I really don’t have any regrets since the risks were worth the potential reward. I’m glad you did well on it but not everyone does so I just think we need to be careful about commenting in such absolute terms. That being said I think everyone who uses it needs to give it 12 months at a minimum.

Last edited:

Harv

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Not dramatically. It's symptomatic of a very slow hairloss

easy reply to say its due to slowly gradual hairloss, but think of the hormonal change to the body what it can do the hair. Its well documented that a sudden change in hormones can have a negaitive impact causing hairloss

jxlegend

My Regimen
Reaction score
it works well now but not in the first weeks for me due to my body reacting badly to the sudden hormonal change. (wish i did things differently in hindsight).
How did you react to finasteride initally?

There was no reaction at all. I got all hyped up waiting for something, but nothing did. Didn't lose hair, didn't gain hair, just like taking a multivitamin everyday. Very slowly, over like 18 months my hair got a little thicker. Nothing dramatic. Just a little over baseline, but it's stayed there since. I delayed taking finasteride for like 6 months because I thought sides would appear, which is a big regret of mine.

I know I would have been pretty much bald at this point in my life because I was losing hair quickly, got to norwood like 2-2.5 within a year, and my dad was norwood 4-5 at my current age.

This comment really should be amended to “stick with it. Finasteride works for the majority. You will most likely not net lose hair long-term.”

I’ve been on it for a year and a half, have lost a lot of ground (especially at the temples) and I have pictures to prove it. I’m not anti finasteride. It’s the best approved treatment out there and I really don’t have any regrets since the risks were worth the potential reward. I’m glad you did well on it but not everyone does so I just think we need to be careful about commenting in such absolute terms. That being said I think everyone who uses it needs to give it 12 months at a minimum.

I should have said that better/more inclusively. I think any hair you lose while on finasteride, you would have lost a lot more if you're not on it.

Harv

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
There was no reaction at all. I got all hyped up waiting for something, but nothing did. Didn't lose hair, didn't gain hair, just like taking a multivitamin everyday. Very slowly, over like 18 months my hair got a little thicker. Nothing dramatic. Just a little over baseline, but it's stayed there since. I delayed taking finasteride for like 6 months because I thought sides would appear, which is a big regret of mine.

I know I would have been pretty much bald at this point in my life because I was losing hair quickly, got to norwood like 2-2.5 within a year, and my dad was norwood 4-5 at my current age.

I should have said that better/more inclusively. I think any hair you lose while on finasteride, you would have lost a lot more if you're not on it.

its working great now but its too late as the serious damage was done in the first weeks of adjusting to it. The problem is i havent recovered from the hormonal shift upregulation sides. I would of lost hair in the long run but the meds made me loose hair fast for that reason explained above

MKP05

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

Oh man. I wish I had gotten those results over the course of 18 months. I would’ve been thrilled with simply maintaining what I had 6 months ago let alone 18. It’s the difference between virtually no noticeable hair loss and “that guy is losing his hair fast”. I’ve officially reached the stage where I have to reconsider the way I cut my hair since I part to one side and my temple and forehead are completely exposed. I recently had a picture taken and my wife exclaimed “you look so young!” I was wearing a hat. Lol.

Who Farted

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Its not damaged hair, i get regular trims every 12weeks. It looks like that because ive had alot of hairs fall out on top and the result is those single hairs left on top.

Well that’s certainly true with regards to your ends, I do think that, even if you don’t think it’s damaged, you should consider treating it as if it were just to see what impact a regimen like that could have on the quality.

While it may not be damaged in the traditional sense, it is damaged in the sense that its not growing as it should naturally. That kind of change is not normal and thus damaged relative to its natural condition. If the hair itself is structurally intact, then it could be damage to the follicles themselves which is much, much worse.