What happened to Latanoprost after all these years?

waynakyo

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I just saw a meta paper reviewing 3 studies related to androgenetic alopecia. 1 in minkys and 2 in humans. Two out of them showed significant improvement.
Note that one human study that showed improvement used 0.1% while the other used 0.01%. Unless this is a typo in the paper (I wouldn't be surprised).

BabyFineHair

My Regimen
Reaction score
It's available from compounding pharmacies through TRT clinics. I am thinking about trying it, but $45 am for cold pack shipping on top of $105-$156 seems steep. Only see the .1% with finasteride, strongest without it is .06%

John Difool

My Regimen
Reaction score
It's still part of my regiment and going strong. No complains PGF2a is a reasonably cheap powder to add easily to your minoxidil topical and get some decent growth and darker hair. My dosage is .1% which is double than what I've seen in most regimen. Save some money and order the powder. Latan is a gooey compound hard to work with, but Bimatoprost is equally potent and much easier to measure.

BabyFineHair

My Regimen
Reaction score
It's still part of my regiment and going strong. No complains PGF2a is a reasonably cheap powder to add easily to your minoxidil topical and get some decent growth and darker hair. My dosage is .1% which is double than what I've seen in most regimen. Save some money and order the powder. Latan is a gooey compound hard to work with, but Bimatoprost is equally potent and much easier to measure.
This would be my first foray into this type of thing, not wanting to make anything myself

Flamingflaps

Established Member
Reaction score
I’d love for this to be on the market. I cannot use minoxidil after developing an allergic reaction, latanoprost/bim would be ideal. Quite frustrating that’s it’s never come to market.

recedingyt

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Do you have a source for bimatoprost powder that isn't Kane?

MaestroTR

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

What's your full regiment mate?

Seuxin

Experienced Member
Reaction score
What ? PGF2a a cheap power du add in your minoxidil ? Are you sure ?

jamesbooker1975

My Regimen
Reaction score
I just saw a meta paper reviewing 3 studies related to androgenetic alopecia. 1 in minkys and 2 in humans. Two out of them showed significant improvement.
Note that one human study that showed improvement used 0.1% while the other used 0.01%. Unless this is a typo in the paper (I wouldn't be surprised).
We must not mix thing like " it do work " with " it will give you enought profit to a company " . Latanoprost works. But they don't think " Great, lets bring this to the market, so they can use it with other drugs like minoxidil and tretinoin, than since it works with a different pathways, they can have better results " They simple compare to minoxidil, that is all .
It is so simple like that . If it give the same results than minoxidil or a little better, they will simple not going to market .
Just get a good pharmacy to compound it , you can make a great lotion with minoxidil, tretinoin, cetirizine and latanoprost , all this with zero side effects.
Don't expect it to get it " ready to use " from a company .

jamesbooker1975

My Regimen
Reaction score
It's available from compounding pharmacies through TRT clinics. I am thinking about trying it, but $45 am for cold pack shipping on top of $105-$156 seems steep. Only see the .1% with finasteride, strongest without it is .06%
What about bimatoprost ? I think it don't require refrigeration

jamesbooker1975

My Regimen
Reaction score
The results for Bitamoprost phase 2 from allergan where really good ( at 1 % ) .
bim11-300x213.png

jamesbooker1975

My Regimen
Reaction score
Even Allegan cheats with angles. Bim was about equal to minoxidil btw, but minoxidil top responders do better
Actually it depend the dose. But, even so, since both works in different way , the idea will be a combination. That it is even the problem with most " disease " , the solution is more a combination of drugs and not only one . Disease are to complex , if you take only one angle, that is when side effects happen, case of, for example, dutasteride or finasteride .

pegasus2

My Regimen
Reaction score
Actually it depend the dose. But, even so, since both works in different way , the idea will be a combination. That it is even the problem with most " disease " , the solution is more a combination of drugs and not only one . Disease are to complex , if you take only one angle, that is when side effects happen, case of, for example, dutasteride or finasteride .
Bimatoprost at the highest dose was equivalent to minoxidil in the Allergan clinical trial. The softens is that only half of people are minoxidil responders. Those who did respond to minoxidil got higher TAHC increases than those who responded to bimatoprost.

They don't work in different ways to a large degree. Minoxidil upregulates pgf2a and cAMP. The downstream mechanisms are likely 95% the same.

jamesbooker1975

My Regimen
Reaction score
Bimatoprost at the highest dose was equivalent to minoxidil in the Allergan clinical trial. The softens is that only half of people are minoxidil responders. Those who did respond to minoxidil got higher TAHC increases than those who responded to bimatoprost.

They don't work in different ways to a large degree. Minoxidil upregulates pgf2a and cAMP. The downstream mechanisms are likely 95% the same.
Well, there is a contradiction on that. Cause If minoxidil works by Minoxidil upregulates pgf2a and cAMP, lets say same mechanism than Bitamoprost and Latanoprost, it should be much less effective cause minoxidil need to be convert it to minoxidil sulphate to works and Only for that reason , it don't works in everybody .

Janks16

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I used Bimatoprost for nearly 2 years and it did nothing to grow any hair, but my eyelashes grew quite a bit.

pegasus2

My Regimen
Reaction score
Well, there is a contradiction on that. Cause If minoxidil works by Minoxidil upregulates pgf2a and cAMP, lets say same mechanism than Bitamoprost and Latanoprost, it should be much less effective cause minoxidil need to be convert it to minoxidil sulphate to works and Only for that reason , it don't works in everybody .
There's no contradiction. Minoxidil does everything bim does and more. The only reason the two are equal in TAHC improvements is because most people don't respond well to minoxidil for the reason you mentioned. Oral minoxidil doesn't have that drawback and is superior to bimatoprost