What foods should I avoid eating in order to keep my scalp free from inflammation?

Jakejr

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Interesting food seems to cause itchy scalp. I have sensitive skin… So for my face chamomile ingredient helps most. Lanolin best salve for itchiness.
But for scalp probably few drops of lavender or tea tree oil.

Renovation

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I noticed that my inflammation issues fluctuate over the week. Some days my scalp is healthy, free of any itchiness/burning sensations, but in others is like a nightmare, itching all day. It's not the whole scalp, but certain areas of it. Still, it bothers me because I'm certain that I'll shed more that day. I speculate that it's something dietary. I eat a lot every day, and each day is usually a different kind of food. So, I need your help to build my detox diet. I can't handle that sh*t anymore, been living with it for years.

Thanks
Take MSM and magnesium, both oral and topical.

Ditch Nizoral, caffeine shampoo or anything else full of chemicals (95 percent of shampoos). Avoid oils gels wax hairspray etc.

Find a mild SLS free shampoo and use twice a week max, wash with only water on other days (with magnesium topical).

InCider

Established Member
Reaction score
Whole-food plant based diet is hands down the most anti-inflammatory diet out there - and that's a scientific fact not an opinion.

Animal products in general are inflammatory in the human body, but if I had to pick out one, I would stay the fcuk away from dairy products.

Have a search on nutritionfacts.org if you want to find out more on the many ways in which dairy products fcuk you up.

There you go lads............a recent video on the topic

fatelephant

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Take MSM and magnesium, both oral and topical.

Ditch Nizoral, caffeine shampoo or anything else full of chemicals (95 percent of shampoos). Avoid oils gels wax hairspray etc.

Find a mild SLS free shampoo and use twice a week max, wash with only water on other days (with magnesium topical).
Why would you ditch Nizoral?

It's a proven anti-inflammatory and the articles on the main site suggest it's basically an essential for combating hair-loss. Not because it causes any significant regrowth or DHT inhibition in itself but because it's anti-inflammatory effects are basically required for the other treatments to work effectively.

Derek at "more plates more dates" (dumb name but good content) suggests something very similar. In fact if I'm not mistaken he said he'd ditch minoxodil before Nizoral.

Renovation

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Why would you ditch Nizoral?

It's a proven anti-inflammatory and the articles on the main site suggest it's basically an essential for combating hair-loss. Not because it causes any significant regrowth or DHT inhibition in itself but because it's anti-inflammatory effects are basically required for the other treatments to work effectively.

Derek at "more plates more dates" (dumb name but good content) suggests something very similar. In fact if I'm not mistaken he said he'd ditch minoxodil before Nizoral.

I'm just going by my personal experience, made my hair look and feel terrible. Does the opposite to magnesium in that it makes hair go limp and frail. I used for about 3 months a few years ago, tried various amounts and time between washes etc but it just thinned my hair out even more. I'm diffuse more than receded though and it must work for some people. But over the years I've seen just as many negative reports. It may help with inflamation but I wouldn't go there personally.

Also it's full of chemicals like most shampoos and I'm almost going completely natural just now and seems to be helping a lot so far.

InCider

Established Member
Reaction score
So basically all meat and simple carbs are out?

No, plant based carbs are great and anti-inflammatory.......the key is in the fiber

Junky refined carbs like white flour and added sugars are inflammatory

The saturated fat in meat, eggs, dairy, and oils is massively inflammatory

High-fat content in whole plant foods (like nuts & seeds) does not increase inflammation

Keep in mind that controlling inflammation in the body is only part of the puzzle. You still need to control internal & external inflammation in the scalp to stop hair loss and regrow hair.

Incidentally, the part-2 video is released and well worth a look.

Capone

My Regimen
Reaction score
No, plant based carbs are great and anti-inflammatory.......the key is in the fiber

Junky refined carbs like white flour and added sugars are inflammatory

The saturated fat in meat, eggs, dairy, and oils is massively inflammatory

High-fat content in whole plant foods (like nuts & seeds) does not increase inflammation

Keep in mind that controlling inflammation in the body is only part of the puzzle. You still need to control internal & external inflammation in the scalp to stop hair loss and regrow hair.

Incidentally, the part-2 video is released and well worth a look.

I was just looking up the Candida diet.. doesn’t leave too much to eat

losingbattle88

My Regimen
Reaction score
Applying alcohol based topicals 5ml everyday f*****g make my scalp dry and I get scalp pain in places, i bet thats inflammation Olive oil helps some but im almost thinking of dropping my topicals for this reason could make my hairloss worse because inflammation can lead to permanent hairloss. And having to apply Olive oil and my topical based alcohol everyday is annoying af.

Mr. Slap Head

My Regimen
Reaction score
Applying alcohol based topicals 5ml everyday f*****g make my scalp dry and I get scalp pain in places, i bet thats inflammation Olive oil helps some but im almost thinking of dropping my topicals for this reason could make my hairloss worse because inflammation can lead to permanent hairloss. And having to apply Olive oil and my topical based alcohol everyday is annoying af.
Ever try castor oil? It is a pain in the *** to wash out but it definitely works. Other than that I'm sure there's conditioners out there that can help.

losingbattle88

My Regimen
Reaction score
Ever try castor oil? It is a pain in the *** to wash out but it definitely works. Other than that I'm sure there's conditioners out there that can help.
Tbh I bought more topical dutasteride and spironolactone but im almost having second thoughts now. Applying 5ml every Night and let it soak in for 4h and feel my scalp being dry and this random scalp pains at times and having to apply oils to my Head almost everyday to combat the dryness and inflammation caused by the topicals and ofc the money I spend on this. I just cant Imagine keeping up with this sh*t for the rest of my life, i rather go bald tbh. Spironolactone needs to be applied everyday even twice a day to really work fuk that, too expensive and my scalp would always be in agony. I think im just gonna stick to oral dutasteride and oral minoxidil and maybe keto shampoo and my LLLT helmet and hope for the best and save for transplant later in life.

Mr. Slap Head

My Regimen
Reaction score
Tbh I bought more topical dutasteride and spironolactone but im almost having second thoughts now. Applying 5ml every Night and let it soak in for 4h and feel my scalp being dry and this random scalp pains at times and having to apply oils to my Head almost everyday to combat the dryness and inflammation caused by the topicals and ofc the money I spend on this. I just cant Imagine keeping up with this sh*t for the rest of my life, i rather go bald tbh. Spironolactone needs to be applied everyday even twice a day to really work fuk that, too expensive and my scalp would always be in agony. I think im just gonna stick to oral dutasteride and oral minoxidil and maybe keto shampoo and my LLLT helmet and hope for the best and save for transplant later in life.
I feel similar about when I used RU 2x a day. It did not irritate my scalp, in fact it helped calm the itch, but it’s just not worth it because you have to apply it twice a day and it’s also very expensive, or you have to mix it yourself and measure out the powder, add PG and mix it. All that crap is not worth the hassle. Even rogaine is annoying to apply because max effectiveness is twice a day, so oral is so much better. Not only that, but it makes your hair look like sh*t so what’s the point. Like you said, a regimen needs to be sustainable for the long term and as a primer for a transplant.

abovedagame

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Strange.. perhaps try an elimination diet then.. cut all but the ATP foods then reintroduce stuff slowly one by one. If not that then maybe an external allergen like your shampoo? Could be a very sensitive scalp. Alternatively, the opposite end where u hit it w/ nizoral and occasionally a steroid shampoo could keep the itch at bay, if u rly cant find and eliminate the root cause. Or so is my plan, just sharing ideas
Which steroid shampoo?

FromHairy2LarryDavid

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Which steroid shampoo?
The active ingredient you’re looking for is Clobetasol. It’s among the strongest topical steroids. A shampoo I can think of available in my country is Clobex. Idk if it’s available elsewhere or what others there are with that active ingredient.

Mr. Slap Head

My Regimen
Reaction score
Keep in mind that steroids and such only treat the inflammation, but not the cause behind it. Treat the androgenic alopecia and it will also take care of the inflammation. Both can definitely be used though. I am just saying that some people think that eating some herbs or an alkaline diet will cure their itch. I can pretty much guarantee it won't unless you have a very minor case of hair loss. I personally find true antiandrogens (fluridil, RU, bica) to help the most with itching.

shoegazing

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
But you dudes dealing with an itchy scalp, is it all day long? Literally non stop? Because mine also oscillates over the week. Sometimes I can go months without it and then it suddenly returns

abovedagame

Experienced Member
Reaction score
The active ingredient you’re looking for is Clobetasol. It’s among the strongest topical steroids. A shampoo I can think of available in my country is Clobex. Idk if it’s available elsewhere or what others there are with that active ingredient.
Thanks I’ve heard of clobex. Is it safe to use long term? How often can you use it safely?

FromHairy2LarryDavid

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Keep in mind that steroids and such only treat the inflammation, but not the cause behind it. Treat the androgenic alopecia and it will also take care of the inflammation.
In my case unfortunately, itching came long after starting treatment of the genetic angle of things. At this point, it’s either inflammatory or I’m overestimating my control over androgens. (Doubt it’s any yeast or pH as I’ve been thru most shampoos/schedules by now)
Thanks I’ve heard of clobex. Is it safe to use long term? How often can you use it safely?
Most ppl advise against long term use of it as steroids are generally harmful to your skin. Could thin its layer or even cause post steroidal withdrawal and give u an even worse itch/inflammation.

Best to use it sparingly as needed, as opposed to regularly. Except for an initial course of frequent use ofc, in an attempt to “purge” any conditions u have. That I guess u could try. (I will anyway)

StayPositive

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
The itch is caused by oxidative stress.

You can reduce oxidative stress with anti androgens/ 5ar inhibitors or you can reduce it with ROS scavengers