What foods should I avoid eating in order to keep my scalp free from inflammation?

I wont lose this

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I noticed that my inflammation issues fluctuate over the week. Some days my scalp is healthy, free of any itchiness/burning sensations, but in others is like a nightmare, itching all day. It's not the whole scalp, but certain areas of it. Still, it bothers me because I'm certain that I'll shed more that day. I speculate that it's something dietary. I eat a lot every day, and each day is usually a different kind of food. So, I need your help to build my detox diet. I can't handle that sh*t anymore, been living with it for years.

Thanks

FromHairy2LarryDavid

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
In the same shoes myself. Avoiding the three evils sugar, dairy, gluten is ur strongest natural weapon against inflammation. That and a potent probiotic (+20B micro bacteria) if ur serious about this route. That said, I couldn’t commit to this myself yet but once I did, I’d be set in the diet/gut health department which would cover a massive range of other issues. Best of luck.

Last edited:

I wont lose this

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
In the same shoes myself. Avoiding the three evils sugar, dairy, gluten is ur strongest natural weapon against inflammation. That and a potent probiotic (+20B micro bacteria) if ur serious about this route. That said, I couldn’t commit to this myself yet but once I did, I’d bet set in the diet/gut health department which would cover a massive range of other issues. Best of luck.
I already don't eat dairy, but sugar... well, I sometimes drink my mom's coffee, which she puts some spoons of sugar. When I do it myself, I don't put anything.

It's really a puzzle to me, because I tried cutting sugar, dairy, everything that could potentially spike up my inflammation and I didn't have any results. I tried this for approximately two weeks, and didn't help. So I don't know what could be. Unless I starve myself, if it is dietary that is, I won't come to any conclusions

shoegazing

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Same boat. I wonder if people that don't have hair loss deal with this? If they don't, I assure you we have more nerve and guts than them. This thing is a test of patience.

FromHairy2LarryDavid

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I already don't eat dairy, but sugar... well, I sometimes drink my mom's coffee, which she puts some spoons of sugar. When I do it myself, I don't put anything.

It's really a puzzle to me, because I tried cutting sugar, dairy, everything that could potentially spike up my inflammation and I didn't have any results. I tried this for approximately two weeks, and didn't help. So I don't know what could be. Unless I starve myself, if it is dietary that is, I won't come to any conclusions
Strange.. perhaps try an elimination diet then.. cut all but the ATP foods then reintroduce stuff slowly one by one. If not that then maybe an external allergen like your shampoo? Could be a very sensitive scalp. Alternatively, the opposite end where u hit it w/ nizoral and occasionally a steroid shampoo could keep the itch at bay, if u rly cant find and eliminate the root cause. Or so is my plan, just sharing ideas

I wont lose this

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Strange.. perhaps try an elimination diet then.. cut all but the ATP foods then reintroduce stuff slowly one by one. If not that then maybe an external allergen like your shampoo? Could be a very sensitive scalp. Alternatively, the opposite end where u hit it w/ nizoral and occasionally a steroid shampoo could keep the itch at bay, if u rly cant find and eliminate the root cause. Or so is my plan, just sharing ideas
I've tried nizoral, and even occasionally (like twice a week, not washing the days in between, which made the itchiness worse), it didn't help. In fact it made my scalp tight and dry, and the itchiness wasn't localized anymore but all over the scalp.

Regarding to shampoos.... I pretty much tried everything, too. I'm currently using a Dove shampoo that has zinc and caffeine in it, haven't noticed any difference. Same way I didn't when I used a SLS, Paraben and Silicone free shampoo. It's really an enigma to me, because I've been living with it since 2020. It was worse, actually.

losingbattle88

My Regimen
Reaction score
I've tried nizoral, and even occasionally (like twice a week, not washing the days in between, which made the itchiness worse), it didn't help. In fact it made my scalp tight and dry, and the itchiness wasn't localized anymore but all over the scalp.

Regarding to shampoos.... I pretty much tried everything, too. I'm currently using a Dove shampoo that has zinc and caffeine in it, haven't noticed any difference. Same way I didn't when I used a SLS, Paraben and Silicone free shampoo. It's really an enigma to me, because I've been living with it since 2020. It was worse, actually.
Use baby shampoo. Also oiling scalp once a week can help...otherwise Apple cider vinager can kill bacteria on scalp. Dont forget to drink lots of water daily to keep body hydrated.

InCider

Established Member
Reaction score
What foods should I avoid eating in order to keep my scalp free from inflammation?
Whole-food plant based diet is hands down the most anti-inflammatory diet out there - and that's a scientific fact not an opinion.

Animal products in general are inflammatory in the human body, but if I had to pick out one, I would stay the fcuk away from dairy products.

Have a search on nutritionfacts.org if you want to find out more on the many ways in which dairy products fcuk you up.

I wont lose this

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
What do you guys think about soy protein?

Mr. Slap Head

My Regimen
Reaction score
Keep in mind that a vegan diet can still have inflammatory foods, and it is also individual. For example, nightshades like tomatoes and peppers can cause a lot of inflammation too. So I would also look into Tom Brady's diet and other pro athletes who avoid all kinds of inflammatory foods.

BurningCoals

My Regimen
Reaction score
Keep in mind that a vegan diet can still have inflammatory foods, and it is also individual. For example, nightshades like tomatoes and peppers can cause a lot of inflammation too. So I would also look into Tom Brady's diet and other pro athletes who avoid all kinds of inflammatory foods.
I read "Ted Bundy's diet" at first lol

I wont lose this

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks for your answers, guys.

keepcoolmybabies

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
If diet is a trigger for inflammation, it's likely to be more individualized to one's allergies/sensitivities than just a blanket "avoid this." That said, things like sugar can definitely exacerbate conditions like seb derm.