What feeling and emotions...

Reaction score
do old pictures of yourself evoke?

I had the misfortune of seeing some "old" pictures of an 18 (on the verge of 19) year old me today, bear in mind I'm only 21 just now, and it was f*****g depressing.

Firstly, my mum and sister who were looking at the photos on the computer, and insisted that I must see them, made a few comments that really stung. I know that this wasn't their intention but when you're told "OMG look at you hair and how nice it was" and "you look so young" in this photo well it is tough to take considering it is only 3 years on. I can only infer from their comments that they now think I don't have nice hair anymore(which I don't) and I don't look young anymore.

Anyway, when I looked at the pictures I couldn't help but feeling nostalgic. When I saw my 18 year old self it made me realise how happy and content I was back then. I was just enjoying life and indulging in the activities most people do at that age. What I would give just to experience those carefree days again and be that smiling guy in the photo.

I think what is most upsetting is that at the ripe old age of 21 I'm already pining for my youthful days. I mean they say youth is fleeting but I think some of us young guys who experience male pattern baldness put a whole new slant on that saying. It's only 3 years on but you'd be forgiven for thinking it's 20 years by the tone of this post. Yet that's just it in the space of 3 years I've underwent such a drastic change which means that I can never be that person I once was in those pictures. Meh, it just depressing really to see that your youth ended before it really begun.

Pyro

Established Member
Reaction score
100% relate to that man. at 18 my hair was amazing and full.

i'm 21 now and have the horseshoe and difuse all over the top going on. I would have never guessed at turning 19 my hair would all start to thin. Gotta love when life throws you a curve ball...

ghg

My Regimen
Reaction score
Yeah I was watching some old pics the other day too, and boy what would I do to get the hair I had back in 2003 back! At that age (21) my hair was at its best (at least I haven't seen any better in pics) and it's been downhill ever since. It just makes me sad and angry.

Ori83

Experienced Member
Reaction score
ghg said:
Yeah I was watching some old pics the other day too, and boy what would I do to get the hair I had back in 2003 back! At that age (21) my hair was at its best (at least I haven't seen any better in pics) and it's been downhill ever since. It just makes me sad and angry.

Oh dAng dude, straight from nw1 to nw1.5.. hang in there :(

ghg

My Regimen
Reaction score
Go f*** yourself, I'm still a NW1, only extremely thin on top. What's your problem anyway? What have I done to you? The way you're on my back makes it sound like I killed your family... f*****g creepy.

deadlocks

Established Member
Reaction score
Same here, except the photos I look good in are 16, 17. That was before I began excercising though, so I look skinny as hell. By the time that got better, hair was beginning to thin. So yeah. Youth kinda ended before it began. I'm 20, feeling like a 40 year old. Minus the cash, car, woman or kids. :woot: Or a own place to stay.

CaptainForehead

Reaction score
I guess that is one of the advantages of starting to go bald at 13...I never felt like my youth was taken away, I never had it.

But anyway I recently showed my mom a pic of me in highschool when I was NW3 (with minioxidil), I am now NW6. She asked me whose picture was that of.

That cut like a knife.

Reaction score
deadlocks said:
Same here, except the photos I look good in are 16, 17. That was before I began excercising though, so I look skinny as hell. By the time that got better, hair was beginning to thin. So yeah. Youth kinda ended before it began. I'm 20, feeling like a 40 year old. Minus the cash, car, woman or kids. :woot: Or a own place to stay.

I've followed your story deadlocks from the pictures I've seen your hair looks like it's holding up with your regimen. :punk:

I can definitely relate to the whole feeling old. As Noel Gallagher once sung "my body feels young but my mind is very old." :shakehead:

CaptainForehead said:
I guess that is one of the advantages of starting to go bald at 13...I never felt like my youth was taken away, I never had it.

But anyway I recently showed my mom a pic of me in highschool when I was NW3 (with minioxidil), I am now NW6. She asked me whose picture was that of.

That cut like a knife.

CaptainForehead reading your story just pisses me off no end and makes me hope that they find a cure for this sh*t as soon as possible. A 13 year old going bald is something no child should have to experience.

CaptainForehead

Reaction score
SheSawMyCombover said:
CaptainForehead said:

That cut like a knife.

CaptainForehead reading your story just pisses me off no end and makes me hope that they find a cure for this sh*t as soon as possible. A 13 year old going bald is something no child should have to experience.

At least I had some warning ...my older bro went through the same thing..so I knew what was coming. Him on the other hand..I cant imagine.

CaptainForehead

Reaction score
dudemon said:
I'm 41 now and have had 3 hair transplant's. becuase I started as a NW5, and my 1st hair transplant was crap, I still look bald as f*ck (like a NW6 diffuser) and my hair looks 'odd.' So ...

Becuase I need to get a job, I am going to put my highschool pics from 20+ years ago (when I had nice full locks of reddish/brown hair) up on LinkedIn ... to "impress" the HR people :jackit: ... so I can get a job ... :mrgreen:

Like they say, "It's all about first impressions" :jackit:

Why dont you go for the shaved look?

Reaction score
CaptainForehead said:
SheSawMyCombover said:
CaptainForehead said:

That cut like a knife.

At least I had some warning ...my older bro went through the same thing..so I knew what was coming. Him on the other hand..I cant imagine.

Captain that's very similar to me actually. I was always conscious from a very young age that chances were I'd go bald. My Father started balding in his teens and then I saw the same thing happen to my older brother so when the same thing happened to me it wasn't a suprise. Still hated it mind you.

Also my Dad like your brother had no real forewarning. None of his brothers were bald/balding and neither was his father.

GeminiX

Reaction score
I was going through some old photos a few weeks ago and it's age that gets to me.

Even though I think I've led a life that most people would consider successful, I still feel that I could have achieved more if I had just had a little more courage and self belief when I was younger.

CaptainForehead

Reaction score
dudemon said:
I'd love to. In fact, if there was one wish I could have, that would be it. But, unfortunately, I did strip surgery. I have the tell-tale "ear to ear" smiley face donor scar across the the back of my head. I don't care who does the strip surgery, (yes - including the best strip hair transplant surgeons in the world) the scar will be 100% visible if you shave, and still pretty much visible if you buzz too close. The closest I can go is about a #4 (1/2"), and even that is cutting it a little too close and the scar may be visible under brighter lighting.

That sucks... is there a plastic surgery option for removing the scar?

For your profile pics, you can still do the shaved look thing as the back of your head wont be visible..it is not "deceptive", compared to using an ancient photo.

s.a.f

Reaction score
SheSawMyCombover said:
Captain that's very similar to me actually. I was always conscious from a very young age that chances were I'd go bald. My Father started balding in his teens and then I saw the same thing happen to my older brother so when the same thing happened to me it wasn't a suprise. Still hated it mind you.

Also my Dad like your brother had no real forewarning. None of his brothers were bald/balding and neither was his father.

My whole life I had people telling me I'd be bald by 21. Both Grandfathers were bald and my dad had visible hairloss early leading to NW6 by his 50's.
However nothing prepared me for it to kick in at the age of 19.
I'd always hoped I'd at least have my 20's. :(

Ori83

Experienced Member
Reaction score
dudemon said:
Options for the scar (since my scar is as minimal as they get for strip):
1) fraxel to smooth it out and can improve results of ...
2) Fue into the scar

Dude, why dont you first get the fraxel and see if the results aint good then get the FUE... on a relatively small area like your strip it shoudnt cost that much, right?

Nene

Reaction score
dudemon said:
CaptainForehead said:
dudemon said:
I'm 41 now and have had 3 hair transplant's. becuase I started as a NW5, and my 1st hair transplant was crap, I still look bald as f*ck (like a NW6 diffuser) and my hair looks 'odd.' So ...

Becuase I need to get a job, I am going to put my highschool pics from 20+ years ago (when I had nice full locks of reddish/brown hair) up on LinkedIn ... to "impress" the HR people :jackit: ... so I can get a job ... :mrgreen:

Like they say, "It's all about first impressions" :jackit:

Why dont you go for the shaved look?

I'd love to. In fact, if there was one wish I could have, that would be it. But, unfortunately, I did strip surgery. I have the tell-tale "ear to ear" smiley face donor scar across the the back of my head. I don't care who does the strip surgery, (yes - including the best strip hair transplant surgeons in the world) the scar will be 100% visible if you shave, and still pretty much visible if you buzz too close. The closest I can go is about a #4 (1/2"), and even that is cutting it a little too close and the scar may be visible under brighter lighting.

If you had one wish, wouldn't it be better to just wish for a full head of hair?

optimus prime

Experienced Member
Reaction score
GeminiX said:
I was going through some old photos a few weeks ago and it's age that gets to me.

Even though I think I've led a life that most people would consider successful, I still feel that I could have achieved more if I had just had a little more courage and self belief when I was younger.

Achieved more with career? Or personal life?

optimus prime

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Nene said:
dudemon said:

If you had one wish, wouldn't it be better to just wish for a full head of hair?

Yea I was thinking that. Or inventing a cure, so you could get the full head of hair and make loads of money.

Dudemon, you wasted your wish. :shakehead:

LooseItAll

Established Member
Reaction score
Dudemon why don't you try a Nergal hairstyle. His hair is anything but dense and he can pull off the look really good.

nergal_claw.jpg

Grow your hair long enough to tie them

GeminiX

Reaction score
optimus prime said:
GeminiX said:

Achieved more with career? Or personal life?

Probably a bit of everything; I wish I had stuck with music, dance and the arts etc. Put more effort in at school, maybe undo some bad decisions.

That said, we learn by our mistakes so maybe I would not be where I am now if I had not screwed up a few things in the past :)