What excuse do you give when recovering?

cravinghair

Reaction score
I'm a student, just had an FUE procedure done about 9 days ago, and the scabbing is still very evident on my scalp. As a result, I have to wear a hat or something to cover my head. But I had to miss a few days of classes. What excuse do you give without saying it was a cosmetic procedure?

s.a.f

Reaction score
There is'nt one really you just have to lay low for a while and keep your head covered in public and wait it out.

cravinghair

Reaction score
s.a.f said:
There is'nt one really you just have to lay low for a while and keep your head covered in public and wait it out.

what do I tell my classmates and professors? I have to return to school,. i can't lay low for a while.

G

cravinghair said:
s.a.f said:

what do I tell my classmates and professors? I have to return to school,. i can't lay low for a while.

if you're in school why not wear a hat for a month or so?

cravinghair

Reaction score
because it has only been 10 days, and the instructions said not to wear a hat, and only a bandana after 3-4 weeks....

JayMan said:
cravinghair said:
s.a.f said:

if you're in school why not wear a hat for a month or so?

G

i think you could get away with a very loose adjustable baseball cap but what do i know? ask your Doctor if he approves. probably not a fitted one though. look for ones that you can adjust in the back and put it on almost the lowest setting so the cap has barely any pressure onn your head.

dd11856

Established Member
Reaction score
I have been wearing a very loose fitting baseball hat. I actually returned to work today on my third day post-op. I had also worn it to the store and bank today. Really didn't bother me. I was told that wearing a loose fitting baseball hat was ok.

Also, I might add that I checked the hat inside to see if I had lost any grafts, and I had not.

s.a.f

Reaction score
cravinghair said:
s.a.f said:

After 4 days you'll be fine to wear a hat. But you'd better hope nobody knocks it off or it gets blown off by a gust of wind.
Ps Dont you think it was a bit stupid to have head surgery without considering the consequences? :smack:

cravinghair

Reaction score
s.a.f said:
cravinghair said:
[quote="s.a.f":2sb34sen]There is'nt one really you just have to lay low for a while and keep your head covered in public and wait it out.

After 4 days you'll be fine to wear a hat. But you'd better hope nobody knocks it off or it gets blown off by a gust of wind.
Ps Dont you think it was a bit stupid to have head surgery without considering the consequences? :smack:[/quote:2sb34sen]

I did consider the consequences... the Doctor and the clinic told me that i would be able to walk around in public after the first week... but that is just not true, it takes at least 3weeks-month to go out without a hat and thats not what i was told, that why im in this position.

s.a.f

Reaction score
Yeah generally docs dont give a sh*t what happens once you walk out of their door. :(

sphlanx2006

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Would you mind giving us some more information about the procedure? It is interesting because you are a student so i guess you are preety young. Also how many grafts/what clinic etc. If you dont mind of course.

As an excuse, cant you say you are ill or something and stay another week away from school? After this week i think it would be safe for you to wear a hat that is not very tight.

dd11856

Established Member
Reaction score
Craving,

I am in the same boat as you. I just had a hair transplant on Friday. I actually returned to work yesterday wearing a loose-fitting baseball cap. I wish now I had arranged for at least a week of work off, but since I was just coming off two weeks vacation for the Holidays I didn't do that. Mistake on my part. As SAF mentioned, I am constantly hoping no one plays around and tips my cap or anything.

I really feel anxious to get past this initial stage as well. I feel like some kind of circus-freak right now. Also, hiding this from everyone makes me feel kind of alone somehow.

G

Maybe this is a dumb piece of advice, since I haven't gone through an hair transplant,

but why not just tell the truth to everyone? You're going to have a much better head of hair in a few months and they're going to figure out that you either had a hair transplant or are wearing a piece then anyway, I'd think, so you might as well just tell them now.

IBM

Reaction score
You could tell your teacher that you had an operation in your head and that is the reason to wear an hat. I'm sure he'll understand...

s.a.f

Reaction score
JayMan said:
Maybe this is a dumb piece of advice, since I haven't gone through an hair transplant,

but why not just tell the truth to everyone? You're going to have a much better head of hair in a few months and they're going to figure out that you either had a hair transplant or are wearing a piece then anyway, I'd think, so you might as well just tell them now.

Yes he'll have a better head of hair but not until the 4/5 - 12month stage and the thing is with a hair transplant it all comes so slowly and gradually that people who see you everyday dont really spot the change. As for telling people it all depends on the company you keep. For a young guy to tell his peers would probably be a mistake unless he wants to be forever known as the 'hair transplant guy' and the butt of a thousand jokes. I think like wig wearers its only a very tiny % of people that are completley open about it.

G

s.a.f said:
JayMan said:

Yes he'll have a better head of hair but not until the 4/5 - 12month stage and the thing is with a hair transplant it all comes so slowly and gradually that people who see you everyday dont really spot the change. As for telling people it all depends on the company you keep. For a young guy to tell his peers would probably be a mistake unless he wants to be forever known as the 'hair transplant guy' and the butt of a thousand jokes. I think like wig wearers its only a very tiny % of people that are completley open about it.

saf,

if i had a good transplant from one of the great canadian docs, i'd take the jokes and enjoy my thick hair as my buddies who were making fun of me balded.

s.a.f

Reaction score
Yeah but that only works if you get a awesome result and some people are just idiots, eg how would you feel if they told a girl that you were interested in. It would be better for them to just think that you'd had some success with some snake oil and were'nt telling them.

sphlanx2006

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I agree with s.a.f. SOME people will make fun of you so unless you are so emotionally strong that you dont care about that, it is better not to tell. I am not saying that someone should really care about what others say but in general you have to avoid doing and/or saying things that will give food for people's jokes.

Extreme example: CCS and his screwdriver. It is not the same of course but people still comment and make fun of him many months after he posted it.

Hans Gruber

Reaction score
if ya in school im sure you can just bunk off for a week or two,i missed 12 weeks of lectures and still graduated :)

RaginDemon

Reaction score
s.a.f said:
Yeah generally docs dont give a $#iT what happens once you walk out of their door. :(

so true