What Exactly Is The 50 Percent Hair Thinning Rule?

NAVI

Established Member
Reaction score
Doctors say that hair thinning does not become evident until 50 percent is lost. Does it mean that hair look exactly similar to the naked eye even if 50 percent is lost or does it mean that thinning is not visible until 50 percent is lost. I don't think hair can look exactly similar with 50 percent hair loss because it would lead to a reduction in 50 percent volume so the mane might not look as thick although thinning might not be apparent?thoughts?

Pazzini86

My Regimen
Reaction score
It's visible way before that. Keep it short unless you're ready to take the big step.

Which i have not done myself het lol

Raphael13

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
It depends. My hair is naturally very fine and with low density, so any thinning on me would be obvious. At the same time there are people with high density and naturally very thick hair, for these people it wont be as obvious if they were thinning, not until they lose at least 30-40% of their hair.

DoctorHouse

Reaction score
It depends. My hair is naturally very fine and with low density, so any thinning on me would be obvious. At the same time there are people with high density and naturally very thick hair, for these people it wont be as obvious if they were thinning, not until they lose at least 30-40% of their hair.
Agree. If you have straight, fine, low density hair, it will look the worst wet and somewhat decent dry.

INT

Reaction score
It is not that it is not visible before you have lost 50%. It is that most men only realize they are going bald if they already have lost 50%.

For example:

- You lose 10%: "hmm my hair does not look as good anymore when it is a bit longer"
- You lose 20%: "was my hair always this light? Man this longer hair really needs to go, it looks so flat now
- You lose 30%: "my face looks strange these days when I pull back my hair, feels like I look so much older... so much forhead! Ugh, better comb it forward a bit"
- You lose 40%: "why is the front so god damn whispy, whatever I do with it these days it always looks bad"
- You lose 50%: "holy f***, I think I am going bald"

Ausgebombt

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
- You lose 40%: "why is the front so god damn whispy, whatever I do with it these days it always looks bad"

literally me.

And yeah what you said is true. It’s not that losing the first 50% of your hair isn’t noticeable, it’s just that most men don’t know what balding looks like in the early stages until they realize it is happening to them.

Now that I’m a hairloss veteran, I can pretty easily pick out the 20-somethings who are in the first stages of losing their hair. When I looks at old pictures of myself I don’t know how I didn’t see it in myself sooner.

joeblack2017

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Once you notice your hair is thinning, it means you lost 50% of your hair thickness/density.