What Doctors Around The World Can Do A Unshaven Or Long Fue?

dr. cole

Reaction score
Look, guys, I try to find a forum from time to time to give my thoughts. I don't mind paying to be in a forum. I'd pay here. I just don't want to pay to be recommended. It goes against my nature. I've done this in the past, but I don't feel comfortable doing this when I would not allow many of the recommended physicians to touch my son's scalp. Besides most of these sites are a waste of money only because they support doctors that are not good. Over 99% of my patients are organic, which means they find me. Recommended sites are worth one or two patients a year and hardly worth the 12k they charge annually to recommend you. If these sites were more focused on patients rather than their pockets, I would support them. However, they are more focused on money than quality of care. Hence, they recommend bad doctors. They also recommend bad technology such as robots for a fee. Robots can't match good physician hands.

DoctorHouse

Reaction score
Dr Cole, thanks for taking the time to answer my questions. I have a few more that tends to circulate the internet alot. At what age, do you think you can predict someone's final Norwood level with accuracy? Second, have you seen cases where increasing the dosage of finasteride from 1mg to a higher does actually gave some regrowth or improvement? Do you think the Laser Cap is worthless? And finally, what is your opinion on PRP for nonsurgical situations?

dr. cole

Reaction score
I'm so sorry for the delay in responding.

1. I'm not sure there is an age that we can predict the final Norwood classification with accuracy. Part of the problem is that people tend to live longer these days. I can tell you that only 3% advance to an Norwood 7 by age 59 so this is a small subset of those with hair loss at that age, but after age 70, the percentage increases above 20%. Hair loss progresses with each passing year. That is why we look for ways to block or dam the process. I can tell you that when an Norwood 6 pattern is evident in a person's 20s, I anticipate the worst scenario and I'm more cautious. When someone shows an NW2 at age 40, I'm less concerned about advanced degrees of loss over the individual's lifetime.
2. I have heard of cases where Avodart worked, while Propecia did not. Indeed, some might respond to higher doses of finasteride, but most likely these are outliers rather than the general population where 1mg of the brand name is plenty. Incidentally, the generic version of Propecia (1mg) often fails. Failure in response is most probably because the product must be only 80% equivalency and that means 0.8mg of finasteride.
3. PRP increases hair density. No question. What we don't know at this point is the 5 and 10-year response. Does it continue to work with annual or semi-annual doses? We don't know. That's why we are continuing studies even though I lose money doing the studies. We want to know.

Mountinvan

Reaction score
Dr. Cole wrote: robots can't replace Doctor's hands. I am taking it that he does not recommend ARTAS or other mechanical FUE done by robots. Secondly, can you do FUE for crown? Will 1,100 FUE grafts make a difference if there is only slight to moderate miniaturization in the crown?

MeanArchive

Reaction score
Dr
There is a difference between "long hair FUE" and a "no shave or non-shaven FUE" procedure.

If you do not want to shave your head, the no shave process is the way to go in my opinion.
Dr. Cole, can you use the no shave process for adding density/reinforcing behind the hair line?