What do you use to shave?

Nene

Reaction score
somone uk said:
Nene said:
Bryan said:
I only use simple, disposable Bic razors. But what interests me more is the reference in an earlier post in this thread to shaving creams and "gels"; do you guys actually bother to use those things?! Never in my entire life have I ever used shaving cream. Just water!

Bryan, that sounds manly and all, but I bet if you get yourself a decent razor like the Mach 3 and some shaving cream you'll never go back.
i used to shave with just water, it's not that bad when you are caught short and are using your last set of barely sharp blades but it's not as good as cream

the manly award is reserved exclusively for people who use these:
black%20open%20razor%203800.jpg

Those old school straight razors are awesome. They are greener because you aren't constantly throwing out disposable blades and if you know how to sharpen them yourself you can save a ton of money. However I have a very unsteady hand so I have to stick with safety razors.

abovedagame

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I also use a sensor excel. I find that I get fewer nicks with this blade. I have a VERY thick beard especially for someone who is 25 (I shave and there is still a shadow, and im sure the minoxidil isn't helping either). The blades are kinda pricey but I usually buy the 10 packs from walmart which is one of the better deals I have found.

I couldn't imagine shaving without cream/gel, it would be a nightmare on my face with lots of blood involved :shock:

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
abovedagame said:
I couldn't imagine shaving without cream/gel, it would be a nightmare on my face with lots of blood involved :shock:

Personally, I can't imagine how applying shaving cream prior to shaving could make your whiskers any more water-logged, and your shaving experience any more "smooth", than what you get simply by washing your beard with shampoo, followed by rinsing.

Furthermore, it seems to me that shaving cream has a very serious additional disadvantage: with that stuff sitting on your face, you can't SEE what it is you're shaving! :dunno: That's obviously not a problem with my method, because you're just shaving water-soaked beard. Everything is clearly visible.

So I think that the use of shaving cream is probably just a scam: you guys are using it probably because you saw your fathers using it when you were a kid; and your fathers probably used it because they saw THEIR fathers using it; and their fathers saw THEIR fathers using it, and so on. I don't see any logic to using shaving cream. I don't see that it provides any essential function. Nothing that can't be duplicated with other simpler, cheaper methods.

abovedagame

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Bryan said:
abovedagame said:

Personally, I can't imagine how applying shaving cream prior to shaving could make your whiskers any more water-logged, and your shaving experience any more "smooth", than what you get simply by washing your beard with shampoo, followed by rinsing.

Furthermore, it seems to me that shaving cream has a very serious additional disadvantage: with that stuff sitting on your face, you can't SEE what it is you're shaving! :dunno: That's obviously not a problem with my method, because you're just shaving water-soaked beard. Everything is clearly visible.

So I think that the use of shaving cream is probably just a scam: you guys are using it probably because you saw your fathers using it when you were a kid; and your fathers probably used it because they saw THEIR fathers using it; and their fathers saw THEIR fathers using it, and so on. I don't see any logic to using shaving cream. I don't see that it provides any essential function. Nothing that can't be duplicated with other simpler, cheaper methods.

I'm not really sure... but I do notice shaving is much more "smooth" and the razor doesnt get as clogged up with whiskers when I use cream/gel. Maybe your beard is not that thick? The razor also pulls much harder on the hairs when I dont use cream. The best way I can describe my beard is pubic hair on my face lol. I think it helps the blades last longer too since the cream softens the hairs.

Again, my beard is quite full so I don't really need to "see" the areas to shave since the whole general area of my face has hair.

Give shaving cream a shot sometime and see if it makes a difference. You can get a medium can of stuff like Barbasol from walmart for like a dollar. You might be pleasantly surprised :)

barcafan

Reaction score
Bryan said:
abovedagame said:

The lubrication?

Nene

Reaction score
Bryan, we're are not all buying shaving cream because we are imagining that it helps. If I don't have shaving cream I lather my face with soap or shampoo but just shaving with water and a blade with no lubricating strip is just asking for cuts and razor burn. My face would be a bloody red stinging mess after that. You must not have a thick beard or you are really missing out on a much smoother shaving experience.

oni

Reaction score
I agree with Bryan on this one................................................... :whistle:

If you are looking for more lubrication, use a very small amount of baby oil on your skin.

Baby oil is very cheap and lasts a long time................................. :whistle:

But if you are feeling really :gay: use KY Jelly................................... :whistle: but it costs more than shaving cream!

somone uk

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Nene said:
Those old school straight razors are awesome. They are greener because you aren't constantly throwing out disposable blades and if you know how to sharpen them yourself you can save a ton of money. However I have a very unsteady hand so I have to stick with safety razors.
i was thinking about getting a straight edge but i thought i am too clumbsy to use one lol
i spose i could practice with a lot of alum block (what you are supposed to use if you cut yourself shaving)

HughJass

Reaction score
Is there actually any peer reviewed research on this topic re: the shaving foam. Is there a Journal of Shaving we can review?

HughJass

Reaction score
Pubmed turns up this
Abstract

Foaming of cleaning agents in the household is an effect which is not connected with the quality of cleaning process. Foam development of some cosmetic formulations such as hair mousse or shaving foam has its functionality. Foam formation during application of a foam bath or shampoo is only a cosmetic attribute. In the pharmacy, foams represent new vehicles for drug delivery. The European Pharmacopoeia comprises a monograph called "Medicated Foams" and the interest for the development of these alternative vehicles is steadily growing. Depending on the way of pharmaceutical application we can define between rectal, vaginal and topical foams. Foams for dermal drug delivery have some advantages compared to the traditional vehicles for treatment of topical disorders such as ointment, creams, lotions, gels or solutions. Vaginal and rectal foam vehicles also feature some application benefits compared to the standard vehicles such as suppositories, creams and ointments. There are only a few foam formulations commercially available so far. Moreover, only few publications describing these vehicles have appeared in the recent years, predominantly patents. It is the intention of this article to review available literature, to summarize recent development and to highlight the potential of foam vehicles. Copyright (c) 2010 Elsevier B.V. All rights reserved.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20434532

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
A closely related question in all of this which nobody has really addressed is this: how does shaving cream actually enhance the shaving experience? A number of people have mentioned "lubrication", but why would lubrication make shaving smoother? If you're trying to cut through hair shafts with a metal blade, isn't the last thing you'd want to do is make those shafts more slippery by applying a cream?

It was decades ago (when I first began to shave) when I read in a magazine article the basic principles of shaving: hairs needed to become water-logged (hence my reference to that, in a previous post), before shaving could be done safely and reliably. _If_ that's correct, the obvious question is this: what the hell really IS the purpose of shaving cream? :shock: Washing your whiskers first with shampoo is obviously going to get them even MORE water-logged than simply slapping some cream on your face; and sure enough, that's what I've been doing ever since! :) I think the use of shaving cream is more of a tradition than anything else. It's going to get _some_ moisture into whiskers, but probably not as much as a thorough washing with something like shampoo.

Nene

Reaction score
Bryan said:
A closely related question in all of this which nobody has really addressed is this: how does shaving cream actually enhance the shaving experience? A number of people have mentioned "lubrication", but why would lubrication make shaving smoother? If you're trying to cut through hair shafts with a metal blade, isn't the last thing you'd want to do is make those shafts more slippery by applying a cream?

It was decades ago (when I first began to shave) when I read in a magazine article the basic principles of shaving: hairs needed to become water-logged (hence my reference to that, in a previous post), before shaving could be done safely and reliably. _If_ that's correct, the obvious question is this: what the hell really IS the purpose of shaving cream? :shock: Washing your whiskers first with shampoo is obviously going to get them even MORE water-logged than simply slapping some cream on your face; and sure enough, that's what I've been doing ever since! :) I think the use of shaving cream is more of a tradition than anything else. It's going to get _some_ moisture into whiskers, but probably not as much as a thorough washing with something like shampoo.

Do you shave against the grain? I can see shaving with the grain and no cream to not be much of a problem, but w/o cream and against the grain...OUCH!

Cassin

Reaction score
Bryan said:

Well..when I shave with water the blade kinda scrapes against the skin as well as the hair which for me personally irritates my skin a bit. I will have a few irritated looking spots when I am done.

When I shave with cream it seems to miss the skin and only shave the hair. Its like it creates a slick barrier and I get a much better shave so I can go a little longer without scruff.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
Nene said:
Do you shave against the grain? I can see shaving with the grain and no cream to not be much of a problem, but w/o cream and against the grain...OUCH!

I generally go with the grain in most areas of my face, with the exception of where the bottom part of my cheeks meets the underside of the jawbone (if you get my drift...it's hard to describe in words). At that point, I might use an "across" motion with the razor.

somone uk

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Shaving cream is a substance that is applied to the face or wherever else hair grows, to provide lubrication and avoid razor burn during shaving

well that's what shaving cream is for, i used to shave with just water and i used to have really bad irritated skin but if bryan has never had really red, bad irritated skin from shaving then he wouldn't need it

i am starting to think it is just something that not everyone needs unless it's normal to get razor burn without shaving cream and bryan is an exception :dunno:

cuebald

Reaction score
I use a fusion (as I was bought it) - I shave in the shower every morning, it takes at most 5 minutes.
I only have hair on my neck and none on my actual face, and it's not very thick.
I shave against the grain as it gets much closer.
I never really nick myself and I seem to have smooth enough skin.
1 Fusion cartridge/blade will last me about two months; the last time I bought a pack of 4 blades was in Winter. If I had to swap out the blades every week I'd buy something else. (but I don't understand why people's blades only last a week or so. What are their beards made out of? iron?)

I agree that Electric Shavers aren't much cop. If I shave with one, it feels like I've gone an entire day without shaving with a blade - they don't shave close enough - they leave about a day's worth of stubble behind.
I know a few very hairy guys (complete with NW1's... bastards) - one of them will go for a shave, and will come out with what seems more stubble than I can grow in 3 days.

I started shaving at about the age of 20. As my beard came in, my hair went out.