What do you use to shave?

Nene

Reaction score
What do you shave with? Disposable blades? Gillette Fusion, Sensor, Mach 3, Atra? Schick Quatro or Hydro? Old school straight razor?

I used the Mach 3 for many years but recently stepped down to the Sensor Excel because I found the shave to be more or less the same and the cost to be lower. I even tried stepping down to the Atra but I found that to leave my skin irritated. The fusion and especially and pro-glide are too gimicky for me. Electric razors don't get close enough.

Bekim

Established Member
Reaction score
AlterEgoComicsRamboKnifeFB.jpg

Bekim :)

The Gardener

Reaction score
I'm a Shick Xtreme 3 man.

It's hard to find nowadays, but this razor kicks *** and the blades last forever.

I don't dabble in any of these fancy new razors, I'm convinced that they are all designed so that the blades fail quickly and you have to go out and buy really expensive new blades every few weeks.

Cassin

Reaction score
I'm right there with the gardener...those things cost a fortune and they are designed to be sold & disposed of fast.

I have super sensitive skin so I have to use the most expensive stuff to make shaving work

I use
Mach3 razors
Aveno "sensitive" shaving cream. It has the fewest chemicals & additives.
Aveda after shave. This stuff is honey from heaven.

somone uk

Experienced Member
Reaction score
i am using a gilette fusion but i am starting to feel like a tit paying £15 for blades so i think i might get one of these
206.jpg

HughJass

Reaction score
I've been doing my whole head and face with my trusty phillips electric shaver lately. A razor just irritates my skin too much. I did however use a shick 4 blade recently. That wasn't too bad.

Now I see they've got a 5 blade out.

Petchsky

Reaction score
somone uk said:
i am using a gilette fusion but i am starting to feel like a tit paying £15 for blades so i think i might get one of these
206.jpg

Yep, don't go sideways, cos these blades slide through your skin like a hot knife on butter.

I use a mach 3, if I bothered to shave often i'd be outraged at the price of the damn blades.

King of shaves shaving gel made with essential oils, lavender that kind of sh*t.

Lovin the rambo knife lol

Nene

Reaction score
Mach 3 is def a solid blade, I think it's just as good as the fancy 5 and 4 blades.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
I only use simple, disposable Bic razors. But what interests me more is the reference in an earlier post in this thread to shaving creams and "gels"; do you guys actually bother to use those things?! Never in my entire life have I ever used shaving cream. Just water!

Nene

Reaction score
Bryan said:
I only use simple, disposable Bic razors. But what interests me more is the reference in an earlier post in this thread to shaving creams and "gels"; do you guys actually bother to use those things?! Never in my entire life have I ever used shaving cream. Just water!

Bryan, that sounds manly and all, but I bet if you get yourself a decent razor like the Mach 3 and some shaving cream you'll never go back.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
Have you guys ever asked yourselves, "Hey, what exactly is supposed to be the purpose of shaving cream?" I really don't know what it's supposed to be. Keeping my face wet with water (after washing with shampoo) has worked fine for me for the last 45 years or so. I've never spent a penny on shaving cream.

Nene

Reaction score
Bryan said:
Have you guys ever asked yourselves, "Hey, what exactly is supposed to be the purpose of shaving cream?" I really don't know what the purpose is supposed to be. Keeping my face wet with water (after washing with shampoo) has worked fine for me for the last 45 years or so. I've never spent a penny on shaving cream.

Shaving cream keeps the strokes smooth. My skin is way more irritated when I don't use it. You've been shaving for 45 years?? How old are you?

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
Nene said:
Shaving cream keeps the strokes smooth.

"Smooth" meaning what, exactly? Do you mean a lack of friction on your skin? Ease in pulling the razor across your beard?

Nene said:
You've been shaving for 45 years?? How old are you?

I'm 60 years old. I don't remember exactly when I started shaving, I just guessed that I've been doing it for maybe 45 years.

Nene

Reaction score
Bryan said:
Nene said:
Shaving cream keeps the strokes smooth.

"Smooth" meaning what, exactly? Do you mean a lack of friction on your skin? Ease in pulling the razor across your beard?

Nene said:
You've been shaving for 45 years?? How old are you?

I'm 60 years old. I don't remember exactly when I started shaving, I just guessed that I've been doing it for maybe 45 years.

Yes, less friction, less "pull." I can stroke w/o too much resistance. Also, with those disposable blades I usually nic myself once or twice. With a mach 3 I almost never do, maybe one small cut per 8 shaves let's say. You should give it a try but I guess after 40+ years of shaving a certain a way I'd be pretty set in my ways as well. So your 60? What is your norwood status?

somone uk

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Nene said:
Bryan said:

Bryan, that sounds manly and all, but I bet if you get yourself a decent razor like the Mach 3 and some shaving cream you'll never go back.
i used to shave with just water, it's not that bad when you are caught short and are using your last set of barely sharp blades but it's not as good as cream

the manly award is reserved exclusively for people who use these:
black%20open%20razor%203800.jpg

EasyEd

Established Member
Reaction score
Cassin, I too use mach 3 razors and Aveda after shave. I have sensitive skin too. I wish I didn't have to shave every day, but my job being in an office setting, I just think I look like sh*t if I don't.

Anyway, do you shave before or after you shower? Most people tend to shave after the shower, but I always do it before. And once I'm out, I apply the Aveda! My skin is so sensitive that there just always seems to be a couple of little nicks so a shower cleans everything real nice. You?

Hammy070

Established Member
Reaction score
I get knicks too, very often bleed it's rather irritating.

I find firstly having a hot shower is the best way to start. The steam makes the skin more porous and the hairs softer.

Then immediately after I'll use shaving gel...Gillete. Very lightly dabbing my face first with a towel, not to dry just to get rid of loose water.

Apply the gell very thickly, and use the Mach 3. Shave downwards first with the direction of the hair, I always shake the razor in hot water after each stroke getting rid of the hair and also keeping it warm.

Then repeat with more gel shaving upwards against the direction of the hair.

Happy grooming!

Cassin

Reaction score
EasyEd said:
Cassin, I too use mach 3 razors and Aveda after shave. I have sensitive skin too. I wish I didn't have to shave every day, but my job being in an office setting, I just think I look like sh*t if I don't.

Anyway, do you shave before or after you shower? Most people tend to shave after the shower, but I always do it before. And once I'm out, I apply the Aveda! My skin is so sensitive that there just always seems to be a couple of little nicks so a shower cleans everything real nice. You?

I shave DURING my shower. :punk: