What do you use to shave?

Nene

Reaction score
cuebald said:
I use a fusion (as I was bought it) - I shave in the shower every morning, it takes at most 5 minutes.
I only have hair on my neck and none on my actual face, and it's not very thick.
I shave against the grain as it gets much closer.
I never really nick myself and I seem to have smooth enough skin.
1 Fusion cartridge/blade will last me about two months; the last time I bought a pack of 4 blades was in Winter. If I had to swap out the blades every week I'd buy something else. (but I don't understand why people's blades only last a week or so. What are their beards made out of? iron?)

I agree that Electric Shavers aren't much cop. If I shave with one, it feels like I've gone an entire day without shaving with a blade - they don't shave close enough - they leave about a day's worth of stubble behind.
I know a few very hairy guys (complete with NW1's... bastards) - one of them will go for a shave, and will come out with what seems more stubble than I can grow in 3 days.

I started shaving at about the age of 20. As my beard came in, my hair went out.

2 months with one blade?? :shock:

If I shave about 3 times a week, which is about how often I need to, It won't last more than 3 weeks. I have a friend who also only grows hair on his neck and not face and he's 27 and about Norwood 3. I have a hairy face. I started growing a mustache at 12 and it was pretty thick by 14/15. Sideburns and chin hair started growing at around 15 and at about 17/18 my neck and cheeks grew hair. By the time I was 20 I had a hairy chest a full beard. I hate being hairy. I'm drinking spearmint tea in hopes to reduce it. It might be my imagination but I think my beard and body hair grow slower since I started taking finasteride.

HughJass

Reaction score
so I've just started shaving with coconut oil which I also use as my main cooking oil

It sounds a bit like the Seinfeld 'butter shave' but it's been surprisingly good. It doesn't clog the razor like shaving cream does , it's cheap, I get a good shave (I do my whole head these days) and most importantly I don't feel like my face has been worked over with a pot scrub afterwards

virtuality

Established Member
Reaction score
I usually shave once or twice a week. I prefer to shave with my Braun electric shaver, but summer time it gets a bit too humid and the electric shaver just doesn't glide on my skin.

In the summer months I use Mach 3 and Nivea shaving Gel. I experimented with a few different shaving gels and foams. Foams don't work for me, I prefer gels. Nivea's gels are the best.

Last year I was in a job that required me to be clean shaved and I shaved every morning for at least 12-13 months. Nivea was the best at keeping the irritations to a minimum. If I was late for work, I just shaved at work with my electric razor, which was most mornings :whistle:

As for Bryan's comments about the creams... He must be lucky that his skin doesn't get irritated. Most of us aren't that lucky and we do need to use shaving creams.

virtuality

Established Member
Reaction score
Bryan said:
I only use simple, disposable Bic razors. But what interests me more is the reference in an earlier post in this thread to shaving creams and "gels"; do you guys actually bother to use those things?! Never in my entire life have I ever used shaving cream. Just water!

Well, my dad is older than you and he used to use old fashioned single blade razors until one day he tried my two blade razor. He never went back to his old razor.

Since then I moved on to Mach 3...

somone uk

Experienced Member
Reaction score
since this thread has been revived i have officially moved to a proper safety razor and i am going to say Gillette 7'o clocks on.....any razor that takes butterfly blades shave just as well as fusion, it's easier to cut yourself but that's just a matter of practice

HughJass

Reaction score
somone uk said:
i am using a gilette fusion but i am starting to feel like a tit paying £15 for blades so i think i might get one of these
206.jpg

can't even look at those things without getting a shiver down my spine, same with the straight edge razors

maybe I raped my face with one in a previous life or something.....