What Chance Have I Got?? Norwood?? Help

max.b

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
I don’t typically waist time arguing with old men or american hillbillies so we will just have to agree to disagree
Cool story, dude, but it's actually "waste".

hopeforhappiness

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Maybe losing about 50 hairs a day, hairs are long and very dry. don't seem healthy atal.

what did you do regarding your regime? did u start on finasteride?

my crown is starting to get noticeable, I have bought finasteride but just haven't started. was thinking 0.5mg a day to start as of next week?

thanks for the reply
I started finasteride at .25mg and moved up to the full dose. I do think it is a good idea to start at a fraction of the recommended dose with this drug. From the sound of it you aren’t experiencing heavy shedding which is a good sign. Though, be warned that finasteride can induce a shed.

My regime is a bit more agressive because I’d say my hairloss is a bit more agressive. It doesn’t look or sound like you have reached this stage.

I think that you are on the right track with finasteride. I would continue with this treatment and in 6 months if you are not happy with the results you can consider adding topical minoxidil. I would speculate that if you respond well to finasteride you wouldn’t need minoxidil given your current status.

Good luck !

Craigcharles

Reaction score
Im losing this amount of hair - and even more - for the last 6 years (since i started finasteride).

@Craigcharles : your crown looks good imo. very strange that people notice something. your trmples are a little bit receeded, nothing dramatic tough. you still have great density and i dont see much miniaturization (but the photo from your front is not very sharp). You can make a trichoscann to evaluate hair density and hair growth phases, just to be sure.

Hi thanks for the reply again!

what is a trichoscan? yes the first photo isn't great it doesn't show my fringe isn't as thick as it might look.

il try taking another photo

Craigcharles

Reaction score
I started finasteride at .25mg and moved up to the full dose. I do think it is a good idea to start at a fraction of the recommended dose with this drug. From the sound of it you aren’t experiencing heavy shedding which is a good sign. Though, be warned that finasteride can induce a shed.

My regime is a bit more agressive because I’d say my hairloss is a bit more agressive. It doesn’t look or sound like you have reached this stage.

I think that you are on the right track with finasteride. I would continue with this treatment and in 6 months if you are not happy with the results you can consider adding topical minoxidil. I would speculate that if you respond well to finasteride you wouldn’t need minoxidil given your current status.

Good luck !

Am I right in saying if a shed starts with finasteride that's a good sign? going to start next week and may post pics in here to update see my progression

thanks

hopeforhappiness

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Am I right in saying if a shed starts with finasteride that's a good sign? going to start next week and may post pics in here to update see my progression

thanks

It is believed that generally a shed that begins within the first few months of finasteride is a sign the medication is working, correct. If you want to be sure it’s working as intended you can get a blood test checking your dht right before you start, and then get another 3 or so weeks into treatment. If dht levels are similar to what they were before finasteride you are not a responder. This isn’t very common, but I will be doing it anyway. Time is of the essence.

Posting progress pics is kind of like doing everyone on here a favor, it’s encouraging. This forum is packed to the brim with everything there is to know about hairloss at this current time.

One bit of advice I would add- in the beginning first weeks of taking finasteride you may want to refrain from things that are known to alter hormones i.e. drinking more than one alcoholic drink, using drugs, heavy stress etc. Not that that you have to do this permanently but just so that you can give your body a fair chance to adjust to the change in dht and also so that you have cleaner blood when trying to figure out whether or not you are going to get side effects. The first two times I tried finasteride I was drinking quite a bit due to a nasty winter and both times I quit due to side effects. When I got back on it this time I gave myself a few weeks of complete sobriety and low stress volume just to be sure and I’ve been fine with it ever since.