what causes shedding on finasteride

zak84

Established Member
Reaction score
we all know that most people get some sort of shed using propecia/proscar but what causes it?

the reason i ask is, its assumed that people taking dutasteride will recieve a more intense shed, is it the difference in the alpha reductase type 1 inhibitor?

if not, there theoretically shouldnt be a difference in amount of shed in the same person, right?

if this is correct, why wouldnt merck add to the type 1 inhibitor (im not sure if this was a good phrase i dont know how they make the inhibitor), i mean it only seems logical after finding out that alpha reductase type 2 is what propecia mainly inhibits but type 1 is what people seeking hair regrowth on their scalp would want as opposed to dutasteride which inhibits alot more of type 1 than propecia

basically, why wouldnt propecia make a slight change in their drug that has a long history of being safe to better accompany people with male pattern baldness?

Stingray

Reaction score
Well, I never had a propecia shed...and almost everyone else who took it hasn't complained about one either. You'd think that people taking finasteride for BPH would have complained about a shed...but they don't. My thoughts are that finasteride doesn't cause a shed...people are just thinking it does because the follicles tend to get synchronized...so a wide spread telogen phase could be misconstrued as a finasteride shed.

That said...kwitcherbitchin!

zak84

Established Member
Reaction score
thats a very good point, i didnt notice any shed on propecia either and no where on mercks website or anyone else offering propecia does it say "shedding will be induced" while on minoxidil it does (i did see alot of shedding on minoxidil), which makes me think the people who complain about avodart making them shed are incorrect in that assumption as well

HairlossTalk

Reaction score
Shedding is just another word for the synchronization of the follicular growth/resting cycles caused by Propecia, where more hairs go into dormancy at one time than normal. Stingray is right on. But yes, thats what people refer to as shedding on Propecia, and thats .. in a roundabout way, what "causes" shedding.

HairLossTalk.com

Stingray

Reaction score
anyone else find it absolutley pathetic that in just 4 months time, I've posted like 30 times more than our moderator has since april of last year?

:raises hand:

tomsmith

Established Member
Reaction score
So what then, causes shedding a year after being on propecia? That's my current situation.

Lizzad

Experienced Member
Reaction score
anyone else find it absolutley pathetic that in just 4 months time, I've posted like 30 times more than our moderator has since april of last year?

NO! We love you & we need you Sting! :love: