What Can I Realistically Expec With Finasteride?

otis p mcdonald

My Regimen
Reaction score
I’m 31 probably a NW2 my hair hasn’t gone back that far as it was never great but has definitely receded and is thinning at the front.

Come from an average family in terms of hair genetics. Not many baldies but everyone over 40 has lost some hair.

Anyway I’ve just started finasteride and was wondering what I’m realistically going to end up with

kj6723

My Regimen
Reaction score
Everyone's body reacts to drugs differently, but the most likely scenario is slight improvement of your current situation and 10+years of maintenance

shookwun

Reaction score
Maintenance and minor cosmetic improvement to surrounding follicles.

Minoxidil in combination with finasteride has a slot of synergyin both maintaining and improving the quality of your hair.

joeblack2017

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
It stopped my excessive hairfall but yet to see growth on top. I'm 2 months in and that's only the result I can say

J.Craig

My Regimen
Reaction score
Why is that +10 years maintenance? If I be on it for 20-30 years, why can't I maintain my hair for that whole time period?

Statto

My Regimen
Reaction score
Why is that +10 years maintenance? If I be on it for 20-30 years, why can't I maintain my hair for that whole time period?
It might well do. There is no one-size-fits-all answer because of the complexities involved. Some people are so destined to go completely bald that their bodies will override the effects of finasteride after a number of years on it whereas other people can virtually halt their hair loss for decades.

I've been on finasteride since May 2016 now and can't say it's made a dramatic difference, although that could be seen as an improvement in itself because there doesn't appear to be further hair loss. It's just I haven't had the great results some people have where they've managed to go from balding to a full head of hair in the space of a year.

I wouldn't be too optimistic, but if you're worried about hair loss then it makes sense to get on it. Certainly gives you some mental stability anyway.

AnxiousAndy

My Regimen
Reaction score
Realistic expectation could be a slow down or halt of your balding. Very few get great results.

J.Craig

My Regimen
Reaction score
It might well do. There is no one-size-fits-all answer because of the complexities involved. Some people are so destined to go completely bald that their bodies will override the effects of finasteride after a number of years on it whereas other people can virtually halt their hair loss for decades.

I've been on finasteride since May 2016 now and can't say it's made a dramatic difference, although that could be seen as an improvement in itself because there doesn't appear to be further hair loss. It's just I haven't had the great results some people have where they've managed to go from balding to a full head of hair in the space of a year.

I wouldn't be too optimistic, but if you're worried about hair loss then it makes sense to get on it. Certainly gives you some mental stability anyway.
In 10-20 years all of us will be off this pill, hopefully