What Are The Top 5 Alternative Treatments Before I Consider Hair Transplant ?

rogerharris

My Regimen
Reaction score
Well I am at that final stage now.. its been 15 years since it started so cant complain I tried minxodil which worked but far too many cardio side effects, and I wont take anything which interferes with hormones. I Have a big bald area at the crown, midscalp going and bit at the front. Am lucky in that my head looks passable clipped tight.. But I need something up front as my head shape doesnt look good totally bald.. So considering a small transplant to save the midscalp front. I will still look balding after it but thats ok.

Considering there isnt a lot left on top.. what are the top 5 or even top 3 alternative treatments in the order you rate them ?

Eazy12

Established Member
Reaction score
None if you refuse to take finasteride. FYI your transplanted hair will fall out without finasteride as well.
Big 3 are minoxidil, nizoral shampoo and finasteride. Nothing else has any credible evidence other than the off shady members anecdotal evidence, usually the same members who are selling something, be it an Ebook or looking for views on their youtube channel.

rogerharris

My Regimen
Reaction score
None if you refuse to take finasteride. FYI your transplanted hair will fall out without finasteride as well.
Big 3 are minoxidil, nizoral shampoo and finasteride. Nothing else has any credible evidence other than the off shady members anecdotal evidence, usually the same members who are selling something, be it an Ebook or looking for views on their youtube channel.

Would consider a DHT blocker that's topical..but only if the blocking is local to the application area and not sloshing around my arteries. DHT is in our physiology for reason...contributes to sex drive, physical stamina and mental focus

rogerharris

My Regimen
Reaction score
And according to this DHT is part of memory and maintenance of cognitive function. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4997989/

Effects of dihydrotestosterone on synaptic plasticity of the hippocampus in mild cognitive impairment male SAMP8 mice

Wensen Pan, Shuo Han, [...], and Huixian Cui

Additional article information

Abstract
The current study focused on how dihydrotestosterone (DHT) regulates synaptic plasticity in the hippocampus of mild cognitive impairment male senescence-accelerated mouse prone 8 (SAMP8) mice. Five-month-old SAMP8 mice were divided into the control, castrated and castrated-DHT groups, in which the mice were castrated and treated with physiological doses of DHT for a period of 2 months. To determine the regulatory mechanisms of DHT in the cognitive capacity, the effects of DHT on the morphology of the synapse and the expression of synaptic marker proteins in the hippocampus were investigated using immunohistochemistry, qPCR and western blot analysis. The results showed that the expression of cAMP-response element binding protein (CREB), postsynaptic density protein 95 (PSD95), synaptophysin (SYN) and developmentally regulated brain protein (Drebrin) was reduced in the castrated group compared to the control group. However, DHT promoted the expression of CREB, PSD95, SYN and Drebrin in the hippocampus of the castrated-DHT group. Thus, androgen depletion impaired the synaptic plasticity in the hippocampus of SAMP8 and accelerated the development of Alzheimer's disease (AD)-like neuropathology, suggesting that a similar mechanism may underlie the increased risk for AD in men with low testosterone. In addition, DHT regulated synaptic plasticity in the hippocampus of mild cognitive impairment (MCI) SAMP8 mice and delayed the progression of disease to Alzheimer's dementia. In conclusion, androgen-based hormone therapy is a potentially useful strategy for preventing the progression of MCI in aging men. Androgens enhance synaptic markers (SYN, PSD95, and Drebrin), activate CREB, modulate the fundamental biology of synaptic structure, and lead to the structural changes of plasticity in the hippocampus, all of which result in improved cognitive function.

thickhaironhead

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Ofc non of these are "fda approved" for hair treatment, there would be no money for the medical industri then.
But there are also more evidence than "anecdotal". However how good they work for everyone is the same as with finas and minoxidil. Some respond others dont.

Rosemary oil.
"RO-ext showed inhibitory activity of 82.4% and 94.6% at 200 and 500 µg/mL, respectively."
These results suggest that they inhibit the binding of dihydrotestosterone to androgen receptors. Consequently, RO-ext is a promising crude drug for hair growth.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22517595

Saw palmetto,
"(Serenoa repens) has been used as a natural treatment for androgenetic alopecia and has a similar mechanism [23]. Interestingly, in a recent study, it was found that 38% of males with Androgenetic Alopecia which received Serenoa repens at 320 mg every day for 24 months showed increased hair growth."

Pumkin seed oil.
"76 male patients with Androgenetic Alopecia received 400 mg of PSO per day or a placebo for 24 weeks. Change over time in scalp hair growth was evaluated by four outcomes: assessment of standardized clinical photographs by a blinded investigator; patient self-assessment scores; scalp hair thickness; and scalp hair counts. Reports of adverse events were collected throughout the study. After 24 weeks of treatment, self-rated improvement score and self-rated satisfaction scores in the PSO-treated group were higher than in the placebo group (P = 0.013, 0.003). The PSO-treated group had more hair after treatment than at baseline, compared to the placebo group (P < 0.001). Mean hair count increases of 40% were observed in PSO-treated men at 24 weeks, whereas increases of 10% were observed in placebo-treated men (P < 0.001). Adverse effects were not different in the two groups."
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4017725/

Nettle root
It binds to the adrogen receptor in both scalp and prostate, hence helps blocking the DHT to attach to hair follicle.

Last edited:

tomJ

My Regimen
Reaction score
Clascosterone - once this will be released finasteride is history for male pattern baldness prevention

you can buy it from Chinese labs now

http://www.cassiopea.com/news-and-media/press-releases/yr-2018/180716.aspx
Yea I am a little confused on cassiopea's cb product. I messaged some guys on here and some report stoppage of shedding and no side effects. Others report stoppage of shedding and finasteride like side effects. Maybe some online producers of this drug haven't made it correctly???