What Are The Real Problems In Life?

disfiguredyoungman

My Regimen
Reaction score
Being genetically ugly is worse than being "ugly" because of balding but with otherweise solid genetics. You can always try to do something about it by taking finasteride or getting a transplant and you even got a chance to look decent like a teacher in my school who looks good despite of his NW4 and he's definitely no Chad or male model. That's where I basically disagree with you. Many people become ugly because of balding... sure, they look more unattractive but if they look legitimately ugly, then they were already ugly in the first place.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
By the way, are you german?

Well, many people try to frame the process of balding in this two dimensional way: If you were good looking before, you will still be good looking, if you were ugly you remain ugly. Truth to be told though, it is more complex than that. First of all,by definition most people on the planet are neither ugly nor especially good looking, but average. They will drop into the below average looking category easily.

On top of that, there are numerous traits that clash with a slick bald or buzzed down look: Strange headshapes, weak chin/jaw(-line), pale skin, smaller frame, smaller height, wrinkles, circles under your eyes, prominent ears as well as other facial features that are harder to pinpoint. These will f*** with your attractiveness levels exponentially when you go bald.

Take this bloke for example.
It's hard to deny that looks very decent with hair at the very least, but it's equally hard to deny that without it, he really ain't up to scratch. Yes I know, I know the power donut does him no favor. But imagine him buzzed down or slick bald with facial hair (that is if he is even able to grow some), maybe even a bit buffed up....ehhhh...still nothing to write home about at all. Guys like him drop not 1 or two, but 3 or 4 points on the attractiveness scale and that is no fun at all psychologically.

----
Yeah yeah, am German. What gave it away apart from the obvious info on my profile page?

Timii

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Well, many people try to frame the process of balding in this two dimensional way: If you were good looking before, you will still be good looking, if you were ugly you remain ugly. Truth to be told though, it is more complex than that. First of all,by definition most people on the planet are neither ugly nor especially good looking, but average. They will drop into the below average looking category easily.

On top of that, there are numerous traits that clash with a slick bald or buzzed down look: Strange headshapes, weak chin/jaw(-line), pale skin, smaller frame, smaller height, wrinkles, circles under your eyes, prominent ears as well as other facial features that are harder to pinpoint. These will f*** with your attractiveness levels exponentially when you go bald.

Take this bloke for example.
It's hard to deny that looks very decent with hair at the very least, but it's equally hard to deny that without it, he really ain't up to scratch. Yes I know, I know the power donut does him no favor. But imagine him buzzed down or slick bald with facial hair (that is if he is even able to grow some), maybe even a bit buffed up....ehhhh...still nothing to write home about at all. Guys like him drop not 1 or two, but 3 or 4 points on the attractiveness scale and that is no fun at all psychologically.

----
Yeah yeah, am German. What gave it away apart from the obvious info on my profile page?
Well, guys like him are those who suffer the most because they have the prettyboy look. But give him Jude Law's NW4 and he looks better than his grandpa NW7. With a NW4 he would still look like crap but not horrendous. I mean even if he walked around an high school, he absolutely wouldn't be eye- catching.On the street some woman would even call him a cute boy. In that case his face genetics saves him. Not to mention the fact that nowadays this guy has some treatment options , if he lived back in the 60s he would be fucked. So, I agree balding is an air ticket to the "below-average zone" for many of us but we still got some hope, maybe in the form of finasteride working without sides or still looking decent like my teacher who is no Chad. But what chances do genetically severely short, ugly people have? Even if they were fullheads , there's no chance for them.

disfiguredyoungman

My Regimen
Reaction score
Well, guys like him are those who suffer the most because they have the prettyboy look. But give him Jude Law's NW4 and he looks better than his grandpa NW7. With a NW4 he would still look like crap but not horrendous. I mean even if he walked around an high school, he absolutely wouldn't be eye- catching.On the street some woman would even call him a cute boy. In that case his face genetics saves him. Not to mention the fact that nowadays this guy has some treatment options , if he lived back in the 60s he would be fucked. So, I agree balding is an air ticket to the "below-average zone" for many of us but we still got some hope, maybe in the form of finasteride working without sides or still looking decent like my teacher who is no Chad. But what chances do genetically severely short, ugly people have? Even if they were fullheads , there's no chance for them.

Interesting points. Even though, I have to say you are moving the goal post a bit here. I thought, we were talking about being bald as a visual feature, not about being genetically predisposed to balding. Dragging in treatment options opens up a can of worms and is basically a different discussion. Our argument, as I saw it, was more about whether and to what extent it can be existential for some people to lose all their hair.

In the same vein, it is mute to ponder about what this guy would look like with a Jude Law-ish Norwood IV.
For one reason or another he is a norwood 6 at age 20...maybe he had very strong sides on finasteride, or his hairloss progressed too fast and agressive despite medication, or he did not want to f*** with his hormones at age 18.

All these other variables I could introduce are beyond your original point: 'Baldness is not a real problem', now with the extension '...if you treat it early enough kinda stop it in its tracks', which would render the whole argument mute. At the same time, ugly people can get facial surgery, probably with more success than a Norwood seven can get hair transplants, but we are kinda digressing with this let's stay focused here.

disfiguredyoungman

My Regimen
Reaction score
Nothing, only your info. Do you live in the south or maybe in a big city?

I live in the UK nowadays, but I was born and raised in the very South of Germany, 20 kilometres from the Austrian border.

Timii

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Interesting points. Even though, I have to say you are moving the goal post a bit here. I thought, we were talking about being bald as a visual feature, not about being genetically predisposed to balding. Dragging in treatment options opens up a can of worms and is basically a different discussion. Our argument, as I saw it, was more about whether and to what extent it can be existential for some people to lose all their hair.

In the same vein, it is mute to ponder about what this guy would look like with a Jude Law-ish Norwood IV.
For one reason or another he is a norwood 6 at age 20...maybe he had very strong sides on finasteride, or his hairloss progressed too fast and agressive despite medication, or he did not want to f*** with his hormones at age 18.

All these other variables I could introduce are beyond your original point: 'Baldness is not a real problem', now with the extension '...if you treat it early enough kinda stop it in its tracks', which would render the whole argument mute. At the same time, ugly people can get facial surgery, probably with more success than a Norwood seven can get hair transplants, but we are kinda digressing with this let's stay focused here.
I'm definitely not the guy who wants to force his point of view on others if my arguments are not completely objective. I will stick with my preference for balding over ugliness, it's kind of a lesser evil, even if I had no treatment at disposal.

disfiguredyoungman

My Regimen
Reaction score
Of course, mate. I did not want to criticize you personally, I just tried to maintain some sort of structure in the discussion, because that naturally happens a lot to us humans. We start talking about a specific topic and at the end of the day, we talk about something completely different without even rememberig how we got there.

ghg

My Regimen
Reaction score
Oh man, I could never glue anything to my scalp. Never.

disfiguredyoungman

My Regimen
Reaction score
You will still eat and drink, you are just dead spiritually, don't worry not a big deal.

WheeljackG1

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I've definitely had some serious real world problems. Was suicidal before hairloss, have had several permanent injuries that pulled me out of two separate career paths, leaving me unemployed. None of that has been as difficult as dealing with hairloss.

With that being said, don't worry too much with the lookism stuff. In the real world that sh*t doesn't matter. At least not as much as some people think it does. For real attractiveness is too complex to be put in a box like that, and it will effect your confidence, which will really make you less attractive. Something as simple as being really skilled at something, or havin some really apealing personality trait like humor can make you sexy/attractive.

I think for everyone it's different though. Two people I know were balding, and when they finally shaved their heads looked amazing. One got hundreds of likes on his photos and the woman were going wild over how good he looked with a shaved head. For me though I look best with hair, as I have a "pretty boy" look. People have often described me as pretty. I compare it to like a western version of a Kpop star. Maybe like a combo of a younger Keanu Reeves with the guy that plays The Flash on the CW, only shorter. So it's a huge blow for me and my self identity. The idea of shaving my head would hugely change how I identify myself. I don't have normal male pattern baldness though, at least that's what my dermatologist said. Idk we will see what happens.

Last edited: