Went To The Dermatologist;now I Have A Couple Questions

Orman Fixsen

My Regimen
Reaction score
I went to the dermatologist yesterday. He said slight androgenic alopecia and prescribed 1 mg finasteride and minoxidil. I've seen that dermarolling before application is more effective, would that br necessary for my hair? Also, does finasteride stop temporal recession? Finally, Is this prescription going to be out-of-pocket since it's "cosmetic"?

AnxiousAndy

My Regimen
Reaction score
I went to the dermatologist yesterday. He said slight androgenic alopecia and prescribed 1 mg finasteride and minoxidil. I've seen that dermarolling before application is more effective, would that br necessary for my hair? Also, does finasteride stop temporal recession? Finally, Is this prescription going to be out-of-pocket since it's "cosmetic"?
Dermarolling can increase minoxidil's effectiveness. Whether its necessary or not depends on how bad your hair is, can you post pics?
finasteride works best at the crown but it can help a receding hairline in some cases.

abcdefg

Reaction score
Finally, Is this prescription going to be out-of-pocket since it's "cosmetic"?

Yes, insurance doesnt pay for cosmetic things. Despite propecia having generics for 5 years its still pretty expensive for the 1mg brand. I have been looking recently at prices, and if you dont have a costco near you its still like 30 a month bare minimum. That is quite a bit for a drug 25 years old that you are on for the rest of your life theoretically.

Orman Fixsen

My Regimen
Reaction score
Dermarolling can increase minoxidil's effectiveness. Whether its necessary or not depends on how bad your hair is, can you post pics?
finasteride works best at the crown but it can help a receding hairline in some cases.
Here's the pictures. Thanks for the input folks! Do you think I should use the prescription? Would fina or mino do anything for me?

Attachments

• Snapchat-1453441790.jpg
    Snapchat-1453441790.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 199
  • Snapchat-1821341394.jpg
    Snapchat-1821341394.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 184

AnxiousAndy

My Regimen
Reaction score
Here's the pictures. Thanks for the input folks! Do you think I should use the prescription? Would fina or mino do anything for me?
It seems your dermatologist isn't the brightest one around. I would use finasteride first for a year before considering minoxidil as using both at the same time can create confusion of which one is working or not.. Your loss is pretty minimal so I would use finasteride only and see how that goes.

abcdefg

Reaction score
The derma said 1mg is standard. I don't know if he'd approve of the 5 mg.

One I went to a long time ago would only prescribe the 1 mg not the 5. Many wont for liability reasons. Also its pretty likely if you got the 5 mg your going to either take the whole 5 mg or take 1.25 mg both of which are not the approved dosage. Many normal people might not know that 1mg is the normal dosage. Its not hard to see why they dont.

Orman Fixsen

My Regimen
Reaction score
Do you think I could ask for the 5 and say I'll cut it into fifths? Would insurance cover proscar without a prostate issue?