Went Outside Without A Hat Today (first Time In 6months)

Baldingat188

Reaction score
I guess I have turned into a hat prisoner. in the last sixth months I can probly count the number of times Ive been in public without a hat on one hand , and usually if I do its only for 5 minutes max.

Today I decided I would try it. my hair loss is mostly thinning on the crown but from the front I still look normal. It actually felt really nice to be out without a hat for a little bit. made me feel a lot more attractive ( at least from the front). Luckily I am still at the point where my hair loss probably isn't very noticeable unless you are looking for it.

I have really mix feelings about it , because It felt great to go out without a hat and look like myself again but I still have thinning on the crown which is progressing and causes me alot of anxiety. Not to mention the really depressing part - this is only the beginning.

Once my hair loss gets severe I feel like it will be very hard to stay positive. it really is such a cruel thing. I think as it progresses more it will make me borderline suicidal.

Dante92

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
I, too, like to wear a hat in winter. When I do, I feel like this.

darth-vader-s-mask-o.gif

EvilLocks

Reaction score
I guess I have turned into a hat prisoner. in the last sixth months I can probly count the number of times Ive been in public without a hat on one hand , and usually if I do its only for 5 minutes max.

Today I decided I would try it. my hair loss is mostly thinning on the crown but from the front I still look normal. It actually felt really nice to be out without a hat for a little bit. made me feel a lot more attractive ( at least from the front). Luckily I am still at the point where my hair loss probably isn't very noticeable unless you are looking for it.

I have really mix feelings about it , because It felt great to go out without a hat and look like myself again but I still have thinning on the crown which is progressing and causes me alot of anxiety. Not to mention the really depressing part - this is only the beginning.

Once my hair loss gets severe I feel like it will be very hard to stay positive. it really is such a cruel thing. I think as it progresses more it will make me borderline suicidal.

One word: Toppik.

If you've got crown loss (that is not too severe), Toppik would be a great "solution" for you. It worked for me for a couple of years, before my hair loss got too severe (now wear a hair system). They have a shade for every hair colour and you just sprinkle a bit on, comb it out with a brush and then set with a little hair spray - ready to go! No more hats (at least for a while, until your hair loss progresses more).

CaptainForehead

Reaction score
EL have you posted details of your hairsystem here? How much does it cost/application process/upkeep etc.

Baldingat188

Reaction score
One word: Toppik.

If you've got crown loss (that is not too severe), Toppik would be a great "solution" for you. It worked for me for a couple of years, before my hair loss got too severe (now wear a hair system). They have a shade for every hair colour and you just sprinkle a bit on, comb it out with a brush and then set with a little hair spray - ready to go! No more hats (at least for a while, until your hair loss progresses more).

thanks for the suggestion, but Idk if I could get much into it. unless I found a way to stop my hair loss I wouldn't find it very satisfying although I suppose its better then nothing. but putting topik on while my hair continues to fall out seems depressing

EvilLocks

Reaction score
thanks for the suggestion, but Idk if I could get much into it. unless I found a way to stop my hair loss I wouldn't find it very satisfying although I suppose its better then nothing. but putting topik on while my hair continues to fall out seems depressing

I know what you mean, trust me - I felt the same way before I started wearing Toppik (or a hair piece for that sake) too. I thought "It will never be my own hair anyway, who am I fooling?" - and that might be true. But when I started using Toppik I somehow felt better, even if it was just a lie basically. It's depressing yes, but it beats constantly having the feeling of people looking at your hair loss, doesn't it? I felt so self consious when out among other people, like they were staring at me and wondering what the f-ck was wrong with me (I'm a woman with hair loss in case you didn't know). Toppik helped me get rid of that feeling, and for that I will be grateful, as silly as it sounds.

Anyway, are you on any hair loss treatments? From what I've read it seems like you could be a good candidate for the big 3, as you're young and have most of your hair (correct me if I'm wrong). Especially Finasteride and Minoxidil in combination could be something for you, would be amazing if you could regrow some of the hair you've lost right? And you could even use Toppik while waiting for the results to appear, and then ditch it as your hair (hopefully) grows back in.

Hangin'on Hair

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Yes. Toppik.
It's an easy, quick fix and it'll free you from the hat. I have some but I barely use it as my hair is a bit longer over the thinning crown area so I have some coverage.
But there have been a few days where the ol' hair just won't co-operate so I spray a little on.
You could also try to grow the crown area out a little longer too.

Baldingat188

Reaction score
I know what you mean, trust me - I felt the same way before I started wearing Toppik (or a hair piece for that sake) too. I thought "It will never be my own hair anyway, who am I fooling?" - and that might be true. But when I started using Toppik I somehow felt better, even if it was just a lie basically. It's depressing yes, but it beats constantly having the feeling of people looking at your hair loss, doesn't it? I felt so self consious when out among other people, like they were staring at me and wondering what the f-ck was wrong with me (I'm a woman with hair loss in case you didn't know). Toppik helped me get rid of that feeling, and for that I will be grateful, as silly as it sounds.

Anyway, are you on any hair loss treatments? From what I've read it seems like you could be a good candidate for the big 3, as you're young and have most of your hair (correct me if I'm wrong). Especially Finasteride and Minoxidil in combination could be something for you, would be amazing if you could regrow some of the hair you've lost right? And you could even use Toppik while waiting for the results to appear, and then ditch it as your hair (hopefully) grows back in.

Yea , the toppik is for sure something to consider , just a rather depressing idea.

as far as my treatments yes - I have been on 5% rogaine for the last 7 months. I apply it once a day as I was recommended and have seen no benefit from it. I also started nizoral shampoo about 5 months ago and no benefits from that either.

its hard to say how fast I am losing hair. I notice shedding , and when I look at pictures from 7months ago my hair seems to be thinner but its really hard to tell.

Finasteride is the only one I have yet to start because every doctor I've seen has told me I am to young. I really want to start because if there is any possibility I could maintain my hair I will take it. I am a little worried about the sides just because Ive seen 3 different doctors in the last 7 months that all told me I shouldn't use it until my early 20s. I am really thinking about taking the plunge , although I am not to optimistic that it would work for me.

EvilLocks

Reaction score
EL have you posted details of your hairsystem here? How much does it cost/application process/upkeep etc.

I have not, but it works like in this video:

I would rather not say how much it costs but I'll just say it is expensive. About upkeep, I have to go to the salon about once a month to have it maintained as my natural hair grows. Other than that I have to use special shampoo and conditioner when I wash and it's also important to not wash it too often as that will shorten the systems life span.

shookwun

Reaction score
toppik is okay for the initial stages, touch ups and making your hair blend better. The moment you start using it as a hair replacement product, to the point where you are dumping it over your entire is head when you taking things to far, and become a toppik prisoner. Eventually you will become so warped around usage, that you wont leave the house with out it. people start identifying you by a certain look. Need to also be conscious of your applications, to much and you will look like a walking piece of chaulk-dust.

A hat is no different. No end to this bullshit.

Transplants are the only way. Wigs for chicks.

The longer you postpone the inevitable of having a transplant, the longer you will endure the stress, and agony involved with concealing. A lot of relief will be off your shoulder the moment you see a talented surgeon, and take action to the problem.

These products are all bullshit cope, and make you more stressed out as a result.

resu

Reaction score

I would rather not say how much it costs but I'll just say it is expensive. About upkeep, I have to go to the salon about once a month to have it maintained as my natural hair grows. Other than that I have to use special shampoo and conditioner when I wash and it's also important to not wash it too often as that will shorten the systems life span.

Those results look very good, she's a knockout too, when she smiles at the camera with the full head of hair... just wow.

N003

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Those results look very good, she's a knockout too, when she smiles at the camera with the full head of hair... just wow.

This very cute girl has the same problem and the results look also good :

Assemblage23

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
toppik is okay for the initial stages, touch ups and making your hair blend better. The moment you start using it as a hair replacement product, to the point where you are dumping it over your entire is head when you taking things to far, and become a toppik prisoner. Eventually you will become so warped around usage, that you wont leave the house with out it. people start identifying you by a certain look. Need to also be conscious of your applications, to much and you will look like a walking piece of chaulk-dust.

A hat is no different. No end to this bullshit.

Transplants are the only way. Wigs for chicks.

The longer you postpone the inevitable of having a transplant, the longer you will endure the stress, and agony involved with concealing. A lot of relief will be off your shoulder the moment you see a talented surgeon, and take action to the problem.

These products are all bullshit cope, and make you more stressed out as a result.

I'm barely experiencing the early stages of growth, and I agree with you that a hair transplant is the only sensible thing to do if you failed to catch your hairloss early with finasteride/dutasteride. A system is the way to go if you really want to live a double life or are travelling constantly, always changing identities. Then you may finally be able to enjoy the full benefits of the almighty juice!
But concealers are a valuable ally as long as you use them sparingly. I really don't expect to achieve optimal density with my hair transplant alone and will still have to deal with thinner spots on the vertex. You need multiple hair transplant's to really ditch the concealers IMO!

CaptainForehead

Reaction score

How long is the lifespan?

How is the mesh replaced?
If natural hair is woven through it to keep it in place, it must be ultra difficult to replace it.

buckthorn

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score

f***, poor lady. she's ridiculously cute though. how long can she leave that thing on for?

diffuse_thinner

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Indeed! The most depressing aspect of using Toppik is the knowledge that as you lose more hair it will no longer be effective. This will not be a concern after a transplant. Personally I would have no problem augmenting a hair transplant with concealers, and I likely will when the day comes.

shookwun

Reaction score
Concealers are bullshit.

I want to live my life carefree, not schedule everything around the safety of my hair.

KO21

Established Member
Reaction score
I am a toppik prisoner.

I remember one time i ran out, and spent hours trying to find a store with it in stock because I had to work the next morning. It was a painful day.

Now I keep more that one bottle and never let myself run too low on it