Weightloss and Hairloss

bjpiers

Reaction score
Hello I am new the the forum. I recently lost a large amount of weight and have noticed my hair is falling out. Could someone tell me if I need to suppliment my diet with a certain vitamin to help prevent this. I have not been eating much food and I am not sure what I should do. Can I find a happy medium where I am still loosing weight, yet my hair is not falling out?? Please any advice would be helpful.
Thanks,
Bjpiers

Cricket

Reaction score
I would just take a good multivitamin that has a lot of the nutrients you need. I've heard of people losing their hair when they lose a lot of weight just as you have done. I've also heard that iron, biotin and B6 are important for hair, but you don't want to overdo anything, especially with iron. But most importantly, as you probably already know, is to eat a healthy diet. Good luck!

MrTelogen

Established Member
Reaction score
bjpiers said:
Hello I am new the the forum. I recently lost a large amount of weight and have noticed my hair is falling out. Could someone tell me if I need to suppliment my diet with a certain vitamin to help prevent this. I have not been eating much food and I am not sure what I should do. Can I find a happy medium where I am still loosing weight, yet my hair is not falling out?? Please any advice would be helpful.
Thanks,
Bjpiers

You should see an endo for that.Diets can cause Telogen effluvium but in women many more things can cause hair loss so a doctor is always the first step.

hairlimmer

Reaction score
Intense dieting can produce telogen effluvium, which is almost always self limited to about 3 months duration, after which the hair will regrow in most cases. Resumption of a balanced diet is advisable :!: Rogaine may help hair grow only 1/2 inch per month, so expect it to take a year or so to see the regrowth.

BLL/jal

MrTelogen

Established Member
Reaction score
hairlimmer said:
Intense dieting can produce telogen effluvium, which is almost always self limited to about 3 months duration, after which the hair will regrow in most cases. Resumption of a balanced diet is advisable :!: Rogaine may help hair grow only 1/2 inch per month, so expect it to take a year or so to see the regrowth.

BLL/jal

Almost always.
I'm male and mine lasted 16 months.minoxidil stopped it.