WEIGHT TRAINING SUPPLEMENTS and hair loss

youngguy_uk

Established Member
Reaction score
hey guys

i ordered a different protein shake this time round from my usual one. the one i used to order was whey protein.

this one has whey, but also has lots of other ingredients too. on the side of the tub, it says it contains ZMA and NAC, which have been shown to increase testosterone levels by over one third. this may help with muscle mass gaining but my priority is my hair.

is this likely to effect hair loss? its kind of scaring me so i think il hold off it till i find out!! or switch back to a standard whey protein milkshake.

any response much appreciated, thanks.

Olorin

Established Member
Reaction score
By a third?? That's ridiculous. ZMA is just zinc and magnesium and B-5 I think. Unless you're half dead it isn't going to do anything for your test levels

Healthy Nick

Established Member
Reaction score
youngguy_uk said:
hey guys

i ordered a different protein shake this time round from my usual one. the one i used to order was whey protein.

this one has whey, but also has lots of other ingredients too. on the side of the tub, it says it contains ZMA and NAC, which have been shown to increase testosterone levels by over one third. this may help with muscle mass gaining but my priority is my hair.

is this likely to effect hair loss? its kind of scaring me so i think il hold off it till i find out!! or switch back to a standard whey protein milkshake.

any response much appreciated, thanks.

I bet that was expensive wasn't it? From now on just by regular whey protein. There's no need for the other stuff.

incognito

Reaction score
I'm a weight lifter myself. First thing, is that the crap they advertise on bags such as glut or zma is total garbage. The amounts are so low its not even worth it or its the cheapy kind.

Second, I found ZMA to be total rubbish. Only benefit is that you will always get a good nights sleep. Its odd. The other funny thing about ZMA is you will have trippy *** dreams. That stuff is like a drug. If you want to help with muscle recoop, just plain Glutamin on its own. Take 5g 2 hours before workout and immediately after.

youngguy_uk

Established Member
Reaction score
costs the same as regular whey protein. check this out, heres a link to what it says on the tub:

http://www.creatinestore.co.uk/products ... ?details=1

scroll down a bit..check out the heading ZMA and NAC.

thing is, this is for hard gainers. the reason i changed from regular protein is because i want a shake that is high in protein and high in carbs. sometimes i dont eat enough carbs and ive read a lot about the body using protein for energy when theres not enough carbs, so gains arent as big.

what do you think about the 33% figure? (see link)

beast

Established Member
Reaction score
stick with plain ol' whey protien..lots of it. creatine is ok for putting on weight, although i don't use it anymore.

youngguy_uk

Established Member
Reaction score
i want to stick with plain whey. but i just ordered this big tub for £30 so am wondering if i should use it or bin it. im basically wondering, if i take this tub, which should last about three weeks if im having 3 servings a day, is it likely to raise my test levels like it says and is it likely to have a negative effect on my hair?

also, the guy who said about getting a good nights sleep, i read that was an effect of the T increase.

:S

extremekicks

Established Member
Reaction score
2 bodybuilding supplements that work for real

University of Iowa did a study on 250 supplements. Only 2 were found to be scientifically substantial to growing muscle.

HMB and Creatine.

I take these. Also WHEY is great for extra protein. Glutamine is also great to take its the most abundant amino acid in the body and it helps your nervous system as well.

Keep eating lean - limit ur carbs hit em at night if your tryin to gain size. This floods insulin into ur blood stream which causes some pituitary to release GH at night. try >> http://jayrobb.com/ ( the fat buring diet is a great book and will get you on track ) If your goin for the cut look carb up every 3rd day you burn fat even when u sleep on this program. Just get over the carb addictions and you will feel slugish the 1st couple of weeks.
But trust me you will look good in 3 months. Train hard and train smart no reason to be in the gym more than 90 minutes. Get your sleep. etc etc To much to list here.

PS - I think eating fairly well also helps a lil in hairloss, << Im not sayin it will cure any of it but help a tiny tiny bit. Balance is key moderation is the objective. To much can cause burnout or obsession. Follow me ?

Pce

flux

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I think I'll order me some HMB

as far as nutrition and hairloss, proper nutrition wont win the battle for us, but poor nutrition can make it harder no doubt

kelkafa

Reaction score
Creatine makes my hair worse . :cry: I am not %100 sure but I have got a strange shedding period whilst I was getting creatine. :evil: I would rather suggest you not to get it.

drinkrum

Reaction score
Olorin said:
By a third?? That's ridiculous. ZMA is just zinc and magnesium and B-5 I think. Unless you're half dead it isn't going to do anything for your test levels

B6, by the way.

D.

drinkrum

Reaction score
kelkafa said:
Creatine makes my hair worse . :cry: I am not %100 sure but I have got a strange shedding period whilst I was getting creatine. :evil: I would rather suggest you not to get it.

Creatine has no affect on hormone levels. There is no evidence that it could remotely affect hair. You probably were just encountering a shed while taking creatine and attributed the shed to it. Coincidence versus causality.

D.

drinkrum

Reaction score
incognito said:
I'm a weight lifter myself. First thing, is that the crap they advertise on bags such as glut or zma is total garbage. The amounts are so low its not even worth it or its the cheapy kind.

Second, I found ZMA to be total rubbish. Only benefit is that you will always get a good nights sleep. Its odd. The other funny thing about ZMA is you will have trippy *** dreams. That stuff is like a drug. If you want to help with muscle recoop, just plain Glutamin on its own. Take 5g 2 hours before workout and immediately after.

Don't mean to burst your bubble, but glutamine (as well as l-arginine) has been shown to be nothing more than a placebo effect. Studies have shown that even with more than 10 grams of oral dosing, these amino acids had no effect on hGH levels (or IGF-1). You'd have to take a ton of it and inject it for it to make a difference.

I agree with your experience with ZMA though. I think ZMA is a good substance just because it allows you to get into deep sleep -- very important for anabolic recovery.

D.

hairschmair

Established Member
Reaction score
Creatine and HMB eh?

I don't even know what HMB is but I'll get some of both as I've started hitting the gym hard (4 times a week + 2 hours of swimming in the sea 4 times a week)

hairlossboss

Reaction score
just be careful with what you put in your body period

I know you just want the best for you. But if you want to ensure what is safe, i suggest that you consult a doctor or a dietician.

Mako17

Banned
Reaction score
Basics would be :

Whey protein isolate
Creatine monohydrate
BCAAs (not mandatory)
Multivitamin
Fish oil
Probiotics

I'm cutting and these are good for overall health plus fat loss, lean body mass and insulin sensitivity. My vascularity has increased also from the leaness.

Acetyl L carnitine
Alpha lipoic acid (the R-ALA form)
Green tea extract
COQ10

Also, gallon of water a day plus a clean diet.