Weight gain on finasteride.???

rico24

Reaction score
all you guys have to understand, when taking finasteride or dutasteride, you are altering your hormonal levels. You are making a drastic change to your body chemistry, with finasteride, you are removing 2/3 of you systemic DHT levels. And yes, DHT is responisible for prostate cancer and male pattern baldness, but we all forget that DHT is what also gives a a high metabolism, lean muscle mass, sex drive and over all energy. So when we totally alter are hormonal levels, we are realling f*****g with our bodies. And when we decrease our DHT levels by 66%, our testosterone levels begin to resemble that of females and our muscle/fat ratios began to change to resemble females as well. You essentially could eat the same food and excersize the same and once you start finasteride, you can gain weight. It changes you basal metabolic rate a well as your fat/body mass ratio.
I just wish there was finasteride or dutasteride in a topical form so we could avoid f*****g up our body chemistry so much.

Additionally, when you have normal hormonal levels, and say, you burn 2500 calories a day, you can eat 2500 cal and not gain a pound. But when you alter you body chemistry, your body may still demand 2500 cal, but when you eat 2500 cal, a portion of that intake will now go to fat deposits instead of being used. Essentially, when you lower DHT, your body burns calories more slowly and efficiantly and theres now more left over to store in body fat. And remember, fat is the bodys energy source for rainy days, and whenever it can , itll try to make deposits.

drinkrum

Reaction score
And when we decrease our DHT levels by 66%, our testosterone levels begin to resemble that of females and our muscle/fat ratios began to change to resemble females as well.

Finasteride actually increases testosterone levels. Second, numerous studies have shown that DHT (Type II) is not responsible for muscularity. Go read my old posts that contain links to many scientific studies. Do your homework next time before making bold statements.

It changes you basal metabolic rate a well as your fat/body mass ratio

Got any studies or something to back this up? If so, I've be _very_ interested to see them.

D.

rico24

Reaction score
perhaps you should read my post more carefully, not once did I mention levels of testosterone, i only talked about DHT, which is definately not testosterone, and when u take finasteride, it DOES decrease levels of DHT, THATS HOW IT WORKS. And muscle mass and increasing lipids in fat cells are opposing processes. That is why when someone takes anabolic steroids, lean muscle increases and fat levels decrese. They are cotrolled by DHT. So when the opposite happens, removing DHT, you gain more fat and lose lean muscle mass.
And with regard to DHT controlling metabolic rate and fat/body mass ratio, thats common knowledge when your in medschool. Its in my endocrinology book, so i cant really show it to you, but try going to the local library and lookin it up.

Idaho X

Reaction score
This is purely anecdotal, but I've lost weight while on finasteride - 35 lbs in 3 months. I'm guessing it's either the proscar or the depression... I don't really care which. Plus I've been eating less.

Now if I could only grow hair...

stax

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Hey drinkrum, sorry to get off topic but i found this statement below about taking Calcium D-Glucarate with other medications.

Are there any side effects or interactions?
No side effects have been reported with calcium D-glucarate. Although there are no known drug interactions, many drugs (especially hormones) are metabolized in the liver by binding to glucuronic acid. It is therefore possible that taking calcium D-glucarate could increase the elimination of certain drugs or hormones from the body, thereby reducing their effectiveness. If you are taking any prescription medication, please consult your physician or pharmacist before taking calcium D-glucarate.

At the time of writing, there were no well-known drug interactions with calcium D-glucarate.

So does this mean that taking Calcium D-Glucarate with Propecia might decrease Propecia's effectiveness? I have no idea how Propecia is metabolized in the liver to know the answer and if you could help me out with this that would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Temples

Experienced Member
Reaction score
bartman654 said:
i did not experience any difference in weight when taking propecia, the fact is you peple are eating more

Just because you didn't gain weight on finasteride doesn't mean other people won't, you hyper-metabolic-18-year-old-f**.

drinkrum

Reaction score
rico24 said:
perhaps you should read my post more carefully, not once did I mention levels of testosterone, i only talked about DHT, which is definately not testosterone, and when u take finasteride, it DOES decrease levels of DHT, THATS HOW IT WORKS. And muscle mass and increasing lipids in fat cells are opposing processes. That is why when someone takes anabolic steroids, lean muscle increases and fat levels decrese. They are cotrolled by DHT. So when the opposite happens, removing DHT, you gain more fat and lose lean muscle mass.
And with regard to DHT controlling metabolic rate and fat/body mass ratio, thats common knowledge when your in medschool. Its in my endocrinology book, so i cant really show it to you, but try going to the local library and lookin it up.

You did indeed mention levels of testosterone decreasing. You said:

our testosterone levels begin to resemble that of females and our muscle/fat ratios began to change to resemble females as well.

Obviously, if your testosterone level resembles that of a female, it is much lower than that of a normal male. So, read your posts more carefully or stop trying to defend them.

Second, I know finasteride decreases DHT. I never said anything about muscle cells and lipid processes. But you imply that reducing DHT from finasteride has a direct relationship with muscularity! That is simply incorrect. Testosterone is the main protagonist toward musculature. That is why bodybuilders take steroids (increase free T levels) and also take finasteride (to prevent hair loss from the extra T being converted to DHT). T is the hormone at work here, not DHT. In fact, DHT is not even considered anabolic. If you want references, refer to my earlier thread: http://www.hairlosstalk.com/discussions ... hp?t=14507

And with regard to DHT controlling metabolic rate and fat/body mass ratio, thats common knowledge when your in medschool.

This is simply not true. What the hell kind of medical school are you going to? The single most important determinant of basal metabolic rate are thyroid hormones, TH (T3 and T4). There is an abundance of literature about this; in fact, you can access a lot of it by just searching on Google.

Nice try though squirt. Better luck next time.

D.

drinkrum

Reaction score
stax said:
Hey drinkrum, sorry to get off topic but i found this statement below about taking Calcium D-Glucarate with other medications.

So does this mean that taking Calcium D-Glucarate with Propecia might decrease Propecia's effectiveness? I have no idea how Propecia is metabolized in the liver to know the answer and if you could help me out with this that would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Doubtful, but interesting. Let me get back to you. Bryan, any idea here?

D.

Bismarck

Reaction score
The cytochrome P450 isoenzymes are responsible for metaboliting Finasteride (oxidation) in the liver.
St. John's worth upregulates the production or activity (no idea) and could therefore affect the effectiveness of Finasteride (though I doubt this would be noticeable because of finasteride's mode of action).
Grapefruit decreases the activity (production) of the enzyme.

bis

Fallout Boy

Experienced Member
Reaction score
while you guys are talking about vegitables .... does anyone here drink V8 juice?? how good is it for you? ha just curious!

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
drinkrum said:
stax said:

I just did some quick searching, and couldn't find any indication that finasteride is metabolized and eliminated by forming glucuronides. There's a very lengthy (50+ pages!) early review article on finasteride which I also just checked titled "Finasteride: A Review of its Potential in the Treatment of Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia", Peters et al, Drugs 46 (1): 177-208, 1993. It has a page on finasteride's metabolites and routes of elimination and a mention of some of the specific end products, but again, no mention of glucuronides. Therefore, I strongly doubt that taking calcium D-glucarate (especially in the smallish doses that people are likely to use) would have any effect on Propecia.

Bryan

drinkrum

Reaction score
Bryan said:
drinkrum said:
stax said:

I just did some quick searching, and couldn't find any indication that finasteride is metabolized and eliminated by forming glucuronides. There's a very lengthy (50+ pages!) early review article on finasteride which I also just checked titled "Finasteride: A Review of its Potential in the Treatment of Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia", Peters et al, Drugs 46 (1): 177-208, 1993. It has a page on finasteride's metabolites and routes of elimination and a mention of some of the specific end products, but again, no mention of glucuronides. Therefore, I strongly doubt that taking calcium D-glucarate (especially in the smallish doses that people are likely to use) would have any effect on Propecia.

Bryan

Thanks Bry for your DD.

D.