Weight gain on finasteride.???

threewishes

Reaction score
I am having good results with finasteride. i dont want to quit it but i am experiencing severe weight gain. also minoxidil. makes me bloated. is there anything i can do to offset the weight gain? i exercise daily, always have, so i know the gain is from finasteride. anyone else with this prob?

pbz

Established Member
Reaction score
threewishes said:
I am having good results with finasteride. i dont want to quit it but i am experiencing severe weight gain. also minoxidil. makes me bloated. is there anything i can do to offset the weight gain? i exercise daily, always have, so i know the gain is from finasteride. anyone else with this prob?

Well, you can always try to decrease your intake of food. If you gain weight, your level of food intake compared to your level of exercise is too high.

threewishes

Reaction score
CThanks for the advice but this is not the case. There must be some sort of weight gain associated with finasteride. and something do counteract it

NHLfan

Reaction score
threewishes said:

You're definitely not alone. I've noticed the same. I also exercise a lot and my weight has always been very stable. I haven't changed my habits or diet or anything, so I'm guessing that the finasteride has decreased my metabolism and caused the weight gain (I felt a bit run down in the 1st few weeks on finasteride). I'm hoping that this is just my body adjusting to the drug and that the weight will be easy to drop over the next couple months

oni

Reaction score
Please give it time and you can grow them big man boobs you have always dreamed of and if you are really lucky a nice pot belly too. :)

threewishes

Reaction score
how long will it take the weight gain side effects to go away after quitting finasteride? also. are tyhere any meds or herbs that help? Saw palmetto?

threewishes

Reaction score
Mybe i didnt make this clear. i have never had a problem with weight, always stayed around 8% body fat. if anyone has a more in depth or insightful response i would appreciate it.

DarklyCharming

Established Member
Reaction score
threewishes said:
Mybe i didnt make this clear. i have never had a problem with weight, always stayed around 8% body fat. if anyone has a more in depth or insightful response i would appreciate it.

Yea lots of guys don't understand that "eat less' doesn't help. I have the same situation. I work out 3-4 times a week and always have been pretty muscular. Started finasteride and now I have a pot belly. Don't know how to help you man, I think it may come down to being fatter with more hair or having less hair and less fat.

Axon

Reaction score
I won't adress the 8% body fat thing because it'll just lead to a flame war.

However, if you feel you're gaining weight directly because of Finasteride, trying lower your daily dose and do some cardio every day.

Buffboy

Established Member
Reaction score
DarklyCharming said:
threewishes said:

Yea lots of guys don't understand that "eat less' doesn't help. I have the same situation. I work out 3-4 times a week and always have been pretty muscular. Started finasteride and now I have a pot belly. Don't know how to help you man, I think it may come down to being fatter with more hair or having less hair and less fat.

I'm in this boat as well. Never been living healthier and I'm gaining weight nevertheless. The funny thing is that when I was on regular Propecia I didn't gain nearlys as much. Then I switched to Dutasteride and now back to Proscar in cutted in 1/4. Meaning my dosage is higher than before, maybe that's the answer. I do think that the weight will drop a bit as time goes by (not to my normal weight though).

NHLfan

Reaction score
Axon said:
I won't adress the 8% body fat thing because it'll just lead to a flame war.

However, if you feel you're gaining weight directly because of Finasteride, trying lower your daily dose and do some cardio every day.

That's the route I'm taking. I've lowered my dose from 1 to 0.5mg after hearing that the effects are more of less the same and the incidence of sides are lower. I'm very fit, very active and very conscious of what I eat and all this weight gain coincided with starting on propecia.

not me!

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Here we go again...

Could all this weight-gain also coincide with the passing of the holidays? Being a bit more sedentary over the winter months?

NHLfan

Reaction score
social_drinker said:
Here we go again...

Could all this weight-gain also coincide with the passing of the holidays? Being a bit more sedentary over the winter months?

No.

I did not gain a single pound over Christmas. I started finasteride 2 days before new years eve. In less than 2 months since that date, I've gained 14 pounds. In that time, I noticed I had much less energy, which suggests to me that my metabolism was significantly lower...but I'm not a doctor. I feel that my energy level is back to normal, so my hope is that my weight gain period is coming to an end.

By the way...I workout and do cardio 3-4 times a week - on top of that I frequently go rock climbing. I also limit refined foods, carbs and fats in my diet.

drinkrum

Reaction score
NHLfan,

Since you're new on finasteride, your body is still adjusting to the lack of DHT and increase in estrogens. Give it some time. If in a few months, these side effects, such as weight gain, do not dissipate, then consider lowering your dosage or perhaps dropping the drug altogether if the side effects are real bothersome.

D.

P.S. Great hockey season this year, eh? :lol:

NHLfan

Reaction score
drinkrum said:
NHLfan,

Since you're new on finasteride, your body is still adjusting to the lack of DHT and increase in estrogens. Give it some time. If in a few months, these side effects, such as weight gain, do not dissipate, then consider lowering your dosage or perhaps dropping the drug altogether if the side effects are real bothersome.

D.

P.S. Great hockey season this year, eh? :lol:

Thanks for the advice. Perhaps I was a bit hasty in reducing the dosage, but the finasteride was putting a belly on me and I'd read that the 0.5mg dosage was just as effective as the 1mg dosage. I'm going to re-evaluate and see if if the sides come back (besides weight gain, I was really tired and lost nearly all my libido).

Re Hockey: Bah...I'm so peeved. Even if they work something out at the last minute, I won't come back.....wait a minute...yes I will :lol:

not me!

Experienced Member
Reaction score
NHLfan said:
Re Hockey: Bah...I'm so peeved. Even if they work something out at the last minute, I won't come back.....wait a minute...yes I will :lol:

You and me both.

G

i did not experience any difference in weight when taking propecia, the fact is you peple are eating more

bornthisway

Established Member
Reaction score
Maybe add ephederine :p

pbz

Established Member
Reaction score
The only thing your body can convert into fat are the things that you eat - therefore, if you don't eat anything at all you will lose weight (although this may not be very healthy). If you eat more than you need, your body will convert everything that isn't burned into fat. The correct balance is somewhere inbetween.

Building fat without eating is just impossible. If Finasteride did this, it would solve the problems for many countries through-out the world.