Wearing units with retrograde alopecia?

brick

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi all. I currently wear a front lace with 90% density. My issue is that since I have thinning on the sides and back of my head it is difficult to blend the unit with my existing hair. When I grow my bio hair too long it bunches up and leaves gaps.

I was thinking of doing a high and tight fade and/or ordering a custom lower density.

What do you think? Appreciate any advice.

Noah

Reaction score
Undercut styles are a great option for your situation - i.e. you crop your side hair fairly short, which hides the thinning, and have most of the styling on your system, which is kept longer. You can choose a low-key undercut style, where there is a bit of blending at the margin (similar to a high and tight) or a more defined undercut, where the stylist deliberately creates a demarcation between the long hair (the system) and the cropped side hair.

Undercuts are perhaps no longer as fashionable as they were, but still reasonably popular. A side-benefit is that, because of the deliberate switch of cuts between the top and bottom of the style, and little variations of colour or texture between your system and your biohair pass unnoticed. I have thinning sides, and this is what I do. PM me if you want to see pics.

BaldBearded

My Regimen
Reaction score
I agree with Noah, if a buzzed or shaved undercut works for you, then I would say go for it. I have been doing that for years. I just keep my head shaved smooth, and then switch styles for the seasons. I kill a few birds with one stone:

1. Thin sides.
2. Uneven color distribution.
3. Cutting the back and side hair.

A full cap is not an option for most guys. It's hot, and uncomfortable, and unless you have a "shaggy" or long hairstyle don't look natural. They are also extremely hard to get, and expensive (their wholesale price can be more than double a standard topper).

brick

My Regimen
Reaction score
Undercut styles are a great option for your situation - i.e. you crop your side hair fairly short, which hides the thinning, and have most of the styling on your system, which is kept longer. You can choose a low-key undercut style, where there is a bit of blending at the margin (similar to a high and tight) or a more defined undercut, where the stylist deliberately creates a demarcation between the long hair (the system) and the cropped side hair.

Undercuts are perhaps no longer as fashionable as they were, but still reasonably popular. A side-benefit is that, because of the deliberate switch of cuts between the top and bottom of the style, and little variations of colour or texture between your system and your biohair pass unnoticed. I have thinning sides, and this is what I do. PM me if you want to see pics.
Appreciate all of this info. I will see about doing a fade (used to do this before hair loss), or if not then a hard part. Thanks again.

brick

My Regimen
Reaction score
I agree with Noah, if a buzzed or shaved undercut works for you, then I would say go for it. I have been doing that for years. I just keep my head shaved smooth, and then switch styles for the seasons. I kill a few birds with one stone:

1. Thin sides.
2. Uneven color distribution.
3. Cutting the back and side hair.

A full cap is not an option for most guys. It's hot, and uncomfortable, and unless you have a "shaggy" or long hairstyle don't look natural. They are also extremely hard to get, and expensive (their wholesale price can be more than double a standard topper).
I agree an undercut is the way to go. It’s been so long since I thought about hairstyles, but I believe my old one was considered an undercut. Appreciate the help.

Blue eyes

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
On the contrary. There are a lot of instances where full caps are necessary and supreme. If your bio hair is too thin or vellus, all the undercutting in the world will not mask the fact that you're slapping a topper on top of peach fuzz. Some men have had previous transplants that turned out horrible. And guess where that donor hair came from? Also there are certain types of alopecia( men and women) that causes hair to fall out in different areas. Try slapping a topper on that. I've worn full caps for more years than I want to tell you and have never been uncomfortable. And of course you're going to pay more money for a larger base and and longer hair.

brick

My Regimen
Reaction score
On the contrary. There are a lot of instances where full caps are necessary and supreme. If your bio hair is too thin or vellus, all the undercutting in the world will not mask the fact that you're slapping a topper on top of peach fuzz. Some men have had previous transplants that turned out horrible. And guess where that donor hair came from? Also there are certain types of alopecia( men and women) that causes hair to fall out in different areas. Try slapping a topper on that. I've worn full caps for more years than I want to tell you and have never been uncomfortable. And of course you're going to pay more money for a larger base and and longer hair.
How short can you go with a full cap? I’m open to eventually trying one, but I prefer a shorter style.

Blue eyes

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
As short as you want. I would recommend a mold template. Full caps can be cut short or long.

Incursio

Reaction score
I was wearing systems with RA and diffuse thinning, one thing you have to do when you have RA is to make sure you maintain your biohair.
Without regular maintaince your bio hair not blend properly with the system and if you're going the undercut low sides route which is for the best you'll need to keep the side hair blended. I struggled with blending a lot it's best to get a stylist to just do it for you as I found it Impossible to do myself especially with RA.

BaldBearded

My Regimen
Reaction score
I was wearing systems with RA and diffuse thinning, one thing you have to do when you have RA is to make sure you maintain your biohair.
Without regular maintaince your bio hair not blend properly with the system and if you're going the undercut low sides route which is for the best you'll need to keep the side hair blended. I struggled with blending a lot it's best to get a stylist to just do it for you as I found it Impossible to do myself especially with RA.
The idea is to not try blending at all.