Wearing Headgear

Incursio

Reaction score
Hello Gents, I have a query which I haven't seen discussed as much on any forums.
Now I wear a lot of different headgear some of which is mandatory such as: Motorcycle Helmets, Hardhats, Snapbacks and caps.

This is inevitably going to add extra wear on to the hair system, but the question is how will this add extra wear on to the system for example:
Will it start to look matted maybe?
Will helmet hair start to occur?
Will I make a significant impact on the life of the system?

I am trying to look for ways to prevent this so I'm thinking the easiest thing to do is to choose a shorter cut i.e. Lengths under 3 inches is a possibility.

I was planning on getting a seamstress to custom fit a silk* layer in some of my hats to make them nice and smooth and possibly carry around a do-rag/bandanna on my person or in the car for whenever the need arises.

Does anyone have any further suggestion or can alleviate my 'worries'?

Thanks

Noah

Reaction score
Inevitably wearing a tight helmet will exert wear on the system, although not disastrously so. Helmet hair and matting should be no worse than with natural hair. I wear a cycling helmet a lot, and I try to wear a bandana underneath it, which is also good for perspiration. Bandanas are generally a pretty useful tool for hairpiece wearers, so it is good if you are a bandana type of guy.

The silk-lined hats are a cool idea. I'm not sure the short haircut would make much difference, and it might even be slightly less forgiving.

Incursio

Reaction score
Interesting I think I'm being too cautious and the best way to find out is to test it out in real life circumstances which will give a better foresight. I normally wear a base layers under my motorcycle helmet as like you said it's good for dealing with perspiration aswell as any bugs which slip through.

Yeah I'm definitely going to look at getting silk inserts on some of my hats especially around the tough base.

grincher

Experienced Member
Reaction score
silk lining or bandanna is what I use when I need to and recommend.

Helmets will add a little W&T but nothing extensive or drastic.

The problems I envisage are heat loosening the bond, made worse when you are close to reattachment. At that time systems can move around without much friction and that can make you self conscious. Even when sat in an office, and you have exceeded a day or two longer than you should, you can feel it slip be it mms. I would expect the friction of a helmet to be more severe movement.

The solution is slightly more regular reattachment a few days before it "needs" it so your bond is always firm.

Incursio

Reaction score
Sounds good Grincher I don't know how my body will react to tapes/glues as my skins not particularly oily/sweaty. My motorcycle helmet is well fitted but doesn't particularly get that hot as I have vents to allow fresh air to keep me cool but nevertheless it can become stuffy, I am looking at an upgrade to allow more airflow through.
I can already imagine the feeling of a system moving slightly while bonded not a good feeling.