Wearing for the first time but cannot seem to attach (scalp protector seems fake)

James_Adam

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi Guys, I just got my swiss lace base system with poly type parameter (check image) and I tried wearing it for the first time. (Maybe should've gone to a pro for the first time).

Anyways, the guy I bought the system from also sent me scalp protector and tapes.

I got no shine, stick it, lace front, ultra hold and a few others. I wanted to try out different tapes to see which one gives the longest hold.

Long story short I tried ultra hold tape first but the problem is, it is not attaching to the system or to my head. the tape just comes right off my head a few minutes after applying it, I don't even need to apply any force. And with a little bit of force, it comes off the system as well.

I am following the typical routine of shampooing, cleaning scalp with 99% isopropyl alcohol, applying the scalp protector and then putting on the system with tape around its parameter.

Now here's what I find a bit suspicious. The scalp protector seems kinda funny because it has a weird smell, which I can't describe, chemical-like maybe. Also, although it says Walker's scalp protector, the liquid's color is blue, and the liquid feels very oily, even on my scalp, it shines and when I ran finger on it, it felt slippery like something oily feels. I don't know if it's supposed to be this way, I am doing all of it the first time.

The guy who sold me these things said that Walker is trying out a new scalp protector with 'UV' protection so that the scalp doesn't get affected by corona gettim transmitted from tapes or glues and they have sent it to us (the seller) to give out to end users and get feedback. I know it sounds very stupid but that's what he said and considering its my first time, I just rolled with it. (I didn't get the stuff from Walker's official store as they currently don't deliver in my region so I had to rely on someone who imports their stuff and hence the guy I dealt with.)

I am attaching the pics of the unit's base and the scalp protector, please advice what to do.

Attachments

• 125922600_382259036539099_6555783556884186702_n.jpg
    125922600_382259036539099_6555783556884186702_n.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 89
  • 126071677_1423251664530060_5809151494823910164_n.jpg
    126071677_1423251664530060_5809151494823910164_n.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 104
  • 126139535_469666527335939_2246833386684651217_n.jpg
    126139535_469666527335939_2246833386684651217_n.jpg
    159.4 KB · Views: 105
  • 126984406_292845632014976_7678676559994475991_n.jpg
    126984406_292845632014976_7678676559994475991_n.jpg
    150.2 KB · Views: 109

adambr99

My Regimen
Reaction score
a few things, you might not be waiting long enough for the scalp protector to dry. you also might be using too thick of a layer of scalp protector.

as long as your scalp is clean and dry, letting the scalp protector dry is important. you should wait at least 5-10mins, it should not feel oily, if so it either isnt dry yet or as you suspect it might be not the right formula or its been tampered with perhaps (or fake). to test the tapes, maybe try without the scalp protector if you letting the scalp protector dry doesnt seem to help. if the tape behaves the same way without scalp protector, then you know its the tape, not the scalp protector, although that seems less likley.

try letting the scalp protector dry (and make sure you use only 1 coat for now to test) letting it dry at least 10mins or so. then try again with the tape.

if that doesnt work, ignore the scalp protector for now and see how tape behaves (and get a new scalp protector, walkers extreme sport is good or buy from another dealer/supplier).

for lace, you dont want to ever try attaching tape directly to the unit, attach to your scalp first, then set down and press down (with a towl or comb) to press the lace into the tape to get good adhesion.

hope that helps

adambr99

My Regimen
Reaction score
also its normal for properly dried scalp protector to feel weird. its like a thin plastic coating over your scalp, you shoulnt feel any scalp oils or resistance like normal scalp, it should feel kind of smooth and slick, but not actually slippery if that makes sense. its basically a dried layer of material that is a barrier between your scalp and the tape. also dont touch your scalp after its dry much, you might be inadvertantly leaving your finger oils on the newly formed layer of scalp protector, and the tape would be sticking to your finger oils, not the scalp protector. basically spray it on, let it dry (10mins or so or use hair dryer to speed up), and then set the tape down on your scalp (and press down and hold for 15seconds). then the tape should have a solid hold.

JMC

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
for lace, you dont want to ever try attaching tape directly to the unit, attach to your scalp first, then set down and press down (with a towl or comb) to press the lace into the tape to get good adhesion.

Huh? This is news to me. I think the norm is to apply it directly to the lace. I successfully do it every time.

Noah

Reaction score
Hi James

Have you washed the system? New systems usually come with a layer of silicone to stop the hair drying out, and you have to remove it before you apply the system, otherwise the silicone stops the system sticking. Washing the system in washing-up liquid (dish soap for the American among us) sorts it out.

I would just forget the scalp protector for now. Not everyone needs it anyway - you only really need it if you are having difficulty with sweat spoiling your bond, or your adhesive irritating your skin. We don't know at this stage whether you will have either of these problems. Incidentally, the story about UV protection sounds like rubbish. Why would you need UV protection under your unit?

Noah

James_Adam

My Regimen
Reaction score
also its normal for properly dried scalp protector to feel weird. its like a thin plastic coating over your scalp, you shoulnt feel any scalp oils or resistance like normal scalp, it should feel kind of smooth and slick, but not actually slippery if that makes sense. its basically a dried layer of material that is a barrier between your scalp and the tape. also dont touch your scalp after its dry much, you might be inadvertantly leaving your finger oils on the newly formed layer of scalp protector, and the tape would be sticking to your finger oils, not the scalp protector. basically spray it on, let it dry (10mins or so or use hair dryer to speed up), and then set the tape down on your scalp (and press down and hold for 15seconds). then the tape should have a solid hold.
Thanks for the suggestions Adam, I tried without scalp protector and the tape sticks now.

James_Adam

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi James

Have you washed the system? New systems usually come with a layer of silicone to stop the hair drying out, and you have to remove it before you apply the system, otherwise the silicone stops the system sticking. Washing the system in washing-up liquid (dish soap for the American among us) sorts it out.

I would just forget the scalp protector for now. Not everyone needs it anyway - you only really need it if you are having difficulty with sweat spoiling your bond, or your adhesive irritating your skin. We don't know at this stage whether you will have either of these problems. Incidentally, the story about UV protection sounds like rubbish. Why would you need UV protection under your unit?

Noah
Hi Noah, I applied second time after reading Adam's comment and washed the system as well but without any soap or shampoo,; just dipped it in clean drinking water for 2-3 minutes.

Didn't use scalp protector this time and the tape (Walker Ultra Hold) did stick but the grip seemed weak. After 20 minutes of application, I tried to lift the system up to see how strong the hold is and after applying a little bit of force, it started coming off. One side of the system came off with tape attached to it while the other side came off without tape, meaning the tape got stuck to my head. I tried lifting those pieces of tape from my head and after a little bit of effort, they came off as well.

I don't really know what I am doing wrong as the tape is not giving a rock solid hold. I want it to be strong so if someone tries to pull the hair, it doesn't come off.

James_Adam

My Regimen
Reaction score
Try washing the system thoroughly in washing-up liquid. I think you'll find that is the problem.
I'll do that.

Also, is it normal for the tape to come off with a hard pull 2-3 hours after its applied? How long do I wait before checking how strong the bond is by pulling the system?

Nostab2

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi Noah, I applied second time after reading Adam's comment and washed the system as well but without any soap or shampoo,; just dipped it in clean drinking water for 2-3 minutes.

Didn't use scalp protector this time and the tape (Walker Ultra Hold) did stick but the grip seemed weak. After 20 minutes of application, I tried to lift the system up to see how strong the hold is and after applying a little bit of force, it started coming off. One side of the system came off with tape attached to it while the other side came off without tape, meaning the tape got stuck to my head. I tried lifting those pieces of tape from my head and after a little bit of effort, they came off as well.

I don't really know what I am doing wrong as the tape is not giving a rock solid hold. I want it to be strong so if someone tries to pull the hair, it doesn't come off.
Did you shave your head first on top?

cottonReville

My Regimen
Reaction score
As noted, clean the base of the hair system, whatever the type. You don't really need to shampoo it - spraying it down & wiping w/ alcohol is sufficient.

& I don't care what people here say, scalp protector doesn't do sh*t.

As far as making the bond last longer: it may work, but it doesn't PROTECT.

BaldBearded

My Regimen
Reaction score
I only put tape on scalp when I am fitting a premade system that needs to be trimmed, on the head. Otherwise, system first.

The bottle of Scalp Protector looks legit, I am not familiar with the spray, just the liquid, which is clear, and smells of isopropyl alcohol, it's main component. I only use the Max Hold Sport.

All adhesives take at least 12-24 hours to "cure". So being able to pull it off, after 2-3 hours is not unusual.

James_Adam

My Regimen
Reaction score
As noted, clean the base of the hair system, whatever the type. You don't really need to shampoo it - spraying it down & wiping w/ alcohol is sufficient.

& I don't care what people here say, scalp protector doesn't do sh*t.

As far as making the bond last longer: it may work, but it doesn't PROTECT.
Yeah, I wiped it with alcohol but it still didn't bond to the system very firmly. Will try shampooing and then using alcohol this time.

Not using the scalp protector anymore, will see how long I can go without it; at least 3 days is my initial target.

James_Adam

My Regimen
Reaction score
I only put tape on scalp when I am fitting a premade system that needs to be trimmed, on the head. Otherwise, system first.

The bottle of Scalp Protector looks legit, I am not familiar with the spray, just the liquid, which is clear, and smells of isopropyl alcohol, it's main component. I only use the Max Hold Sport.

All adhesives take at least 12-24 hours to "cure". So being able to pull it off, after 2-3 hours is not unusual.
A question regarding premade system; the hairline of my premade system is straight and although it is graduated, looks very unnatural. How do I cut it to fit my natural hairline? Do I use scissors or a blade or something else?

Secondly, the liquid inside the bottle is blue as shown in pic, don't know why is that :\ and it also doesn't smell like isopropyl, has a distinctive smell. But I did make a mistake, I applied very thick coat. It is in spray bottle so spraying evenly is very difficult. Would you suggest spraying it on one area and then spreading over the scalp with finger or a clean cloth?

I see, I will wait 12-24 hours now, I thought it becomes as hard as a rock as soon as the bond touches the scalp.

Noah

Reaction score
I'll do that.

Also, is it normal for the tape to come off with a hard pull 2-3 hours after its applied? How long do I wait before checking how strong the bond is by pulling the system?

As Baldbearded says, the tape gradually gets stronger for the first 24 hours, and is strongest after 24 hours. By the time it gets to maximum strength it is very strong - you would rip your skin if you tried to pull it off. Even after 2 - 3 hours it’s usually pretty strong. I don’t think you are getting full strength out of it yet.

Noah

Reaction score
A question regarding premade system; the hairline of my premade system is straight and although it is graduated, looks very unnatural. How do I cut it to fit my natural hairline? Do I use scissors or a blade or something else?

Secondly, the liquid inside the bottle is blue as shown in pic, don't know why is that :\ and it also doesn't smell like isopropyl, has a distinctive smell. But I did make a mistake, I applied very thick coat. It is in spray bottle so spraying evenly is very difficult. Would you suggest spraying it on one area and then spreading over the scalp with finger or a clean cloth?

I see, I will wait 12-24 hours now, I thought it becomes as hard as a rock as soon as the bond touches the scalp.

Usually it’s best not to cut the factory-made hairline, because you will be cutting away the graduation, which is an important part of getting a natural look. But if the hairline is too straight and looks fake, maybe you have no choice. You can use a razor blade or scissors. Small sharp nail scissors are ideal. If you do use scissors you have to be careful to clear a patch for the blade at each cut, so that you are just cutting the base material and not the hair.

James_Adam

My Regimen
Reaction score
As Baldbearded says, the tape gradually gets stronger for the first 24 hours, and is strongest after 24 hours. By the time it gets to maximum strength it is very strong - you would rip your skin if you tried to pull it off. Even after 2 - 3 hours it’s usually pretty strong. I don’t think you are getting full strength out of it yet.
So I should wait for 12 hours at least before testing the strength, right?

Usually it’s best not to cut the factory-made hairline, because you will be cutting away the graduation, which is an important part of getting a natural look. But if the hairline is too straight and looks fake, maybe you have no choice. You can use a razor blade or scissors. Small sharp nail scissors are ideal. If you do use scissors you have to be careful to clear a patch for the blade at each cut, so that you are just cutting the base material and not the hair.
Gotcha. Also, what if I use tweezers to pull hairs out of the newly cut hairline to make it graduated? I saw Curtis from MHE do it.