wbeast's story - (23m just starting out - pics)

wbeast

Reaction score
Hi everybody, I've been lurking around here for a few weeks now but finally decided to man up and register for the forums.

I'm 23, but I believe I've been gradually losing my hair since I was 17. I think my earlier memory was in high school Spanish class a few hairs were on my desk. I kept running my hands through my hair and a few would come out each time!! Surely I was too young for hair loss, so after a few stressful days I dismissed the idea.

Along came college and I had received a few playful comments about my "receding hairline" from friends and team mates, but it's amazing how well you can convince yourself there isn't a problem when there is. I reeeeally disliked my hair from age 19-23. Even now I sort of cringe. It's a source of slight embarrassment and I finally cracked one day and decided to hit the doctor (who prescribed me Propecia) and I began using Minoxidil ~30 days ago and Finasteride ~10 days ago.

Call me crazy, but I wish I had joined the forums the moment I started my regimen because I sincerely have spotted tiny new hairs in my temple region.

Anyhow, I'd like to post some photos as a baseline, and document my progress through the year. I have high hopes! But, of course, hair isn't everything and we'd all do well to consider Darfur in our "time of crisis" ;)

More pics to come! Until then, enjoy my ugly mug!

lain

Established Member
Reaction score
Welcome buddy.

All the best and I look forward to seeing your progress.

hellohello

Established Member
Reaction score
i rekon ud probably get away with a shaved head if u had 2.

wbeast

Reaction score
hellohello said:
i rekon ud probably get away with a shaved head if u had 2.

haha, thanks. I gave the clipper a try once, but my friends and family agreed that I looked somewhat mean and unapproachable. I hope it doesn't come to that!

Thanks for the comments guys. I enjoy these forums and hope to be a regular of sorts.

bustabucket

Established Member
Reaction score
You look fine right now. You just have a very "mature" hairline and some chicks dig that.

Keep on that finasteride and minoxidil and maintain what you have, you may even grow some back. Good luck!

RaginDemon

Reaction score
i like your last pic :D

You seem to have a great attitude towards to it, and it will definitely help you do better in life.

GL on your treatment.

haunted-ballroom

Experienced Member
Reaction score
RaginDemon said:
i like your last pic :D

You seem to have a great attitude towards to it, and it will definitely help you do better in life.

GL on your treatment.

Yeah me too lol Last pic made me laugh! Your hair looks good at the moment, the hairline is fine. If you could maintain it all now that would be great.

Nick4441

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Your hair is still good, thick enough and evenly shaped.

That last pic says it all and we all try for that attitude. :) Cool.

Best of luck and big 3 hopefully will keep things and posibly some improvement.

I'm not a fan of starting finasteride and minoxidil in one go especially as minoxidil is alot more labour intensive for lifelong application but will definitely boost regrowth potential.

RaginDemon

Reaction score
Big 3 will most likely help, I hope you will give it a try.

abb83

Reaction score
man it really sux but you dont look bad with the hairliness really... let's just hope something better comes soon...

IBM

Reaction score
abb83 said:
man it really sux but you dont look bad with the hairliness really... let's just hope something better comes soon...

helpme007?

RaginDemon

Reaction score
IBM said:
abb83 said:

helpme007?

lol

wbeast

Reaction score
Thanks for the kind words guys.

I will post photos on the 1st of each month. I usually get my hair cut at the end of each month, so the look should be fairly consistent.

person

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Firstly you ain't ugly mate. Secondly you are doing the right thing by going on the Big 3 however if you really wanted to hit hair loss you could combine the Big 3 with a topical dht blocker (Revivogen or Fluridil) and a lasercomb. Also I don't know how often you wash your hair but most of this forum wash it every day or once every two days (me). Nizoral should only be used 2/3 times a week, so I suggest using another good shampoo for off days. I use Min New York's range (http://www.min.com). They have style and are great for your hair.

G

Come on guys, don´t fool this guy!

His hairline recession is dramatic for a 23 year old. And I can smell that he is also thinning though you can´t see it that good because of the light. So my advice has to be: Dutasteride combined with minoxidil, these are basically the only two things which will help to restore your hair. Good Luck, mate!

And no, you definetly aren´t ugly. You should see my "face" and then you would know what is ugly. Though you look older than 23 years, I am 25 and I look younger than you (though uglier :D ).

person

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Taug what the hell are you talking about? The whole point of finasteride adn dutasteride are to safeguard your hair not regrow it. He should start on finasteride and minoxidil and add a lasercomb and a topical dht blocker. Start the dam foam Taug because I garentee you that dutasteride will not regrow all that hair you lost.

G

person said:
Taug what the hell are you talking about? The whole point of finasteride adn dutasteride are to safeguard your hair not regrow it. He should start on finasteride and minoxidil and add a lasercomb and a topical dht blocker. Start the dam foam Taug because I garentee you that dutasteride will not regrow all that hair you lost.

???

dutasteride and minoxidil will help him to stop his hairloss and regrow some hair. That´s what I said. And a lasercomb is one big waste of money, there are hardly any positive reports about it on the web.

G

wow i finally agree with taugenichts

yes person stop advising people to waste $500+ on the lasercomb.

Original poster, WBEAST, do NOT listen to the poster named Person and spend $500+ on a laser comb that will do nothing for your hair. It has only been approved by the FDA with regard to SAFETY. It will not regrow your hair.

The guy who invented the technology that HairMax used to measure hair counts with their laser comb has called their posted results basically fraudulent:

http://www.baldingblog.com/2006/08/03/a ... aser-comb/

I'm gonna keep posting that link every time Person advises that someone use the lasercomb.

I also agree with taugenichts and my eyes can spot thinning in patches all the way back to the crown. Looks like some diffusion going on there. It is definitely some aggressive hair loss for someone who is only 23. He's practically NW3 already.

I would really encourage him to look into Dutasteride(Avodart) as well because from my experience, seeing guys on here like Aplunk get great results on dutas and lose ground while on propecia/proscar, it's not a good idea.

wbeast

Reaction score
Yep, practically an NW3 indeed. I wish I had some good aerial pictures from when I was younger. My summer before college had some pretty dramatic loss... but since then it has been steady and (relatively) slow.

As for dutasteride versus finasteride, my loss has been gradual enough that I am willing to go 10-12 months with finasteride to see if it is sufficient. If I don't NEED to spend the extra money and risk the added side effects, that would be great. So we'll see in a year.

Thanks for the comments guys. Oh, and please don't think I was being a depressed bung hole by saying "ugly mug", it's just something we say where I live ;)

person

Experienced Member
Reaction score
JayMan said:
wow i finally agree with taugenichts

yes person stop advising people to waste $500+ on the lasercomb.

Original poster, WBEAST, do NOT listen to the poster named Person and spend $500+ on a laser comb that will do nothing for your hair. It has only been approved by the FDA with regard to SAFETY. It will not regrow your hair.

The guy who invented the technology that HairMax used to measure hair counts with their laser comb has called their posted results basically fraudulent:

http://www.baldingblog.com/2006/08/03/a ... aser-comb/

I'm gonna keep posting that link every time Person advises that someone use the lasercomb.

I also agree with taugenichts and my eyes can spot thinning in patches all the way back to the crown. Looks like some diffusion going on there. It is definitely some aggressive hair loss for someone who is only 23. He's practically NW3 already.

I would really encourage him to look into Dutasteride(Avodart) as well because from my experience, seeing guys on here like Aplunk get great results on dutas and lose ground while on propecia/proscar, it's not a good idea.

In 2002 it was approved for safety. In Jan 2007 it was approved for hairloss. I saw one of the top dermatologists a few months back and she said lasers are very interesting and we are only just beginning to know what they can do - and she is no bullshit artist because she went to Oxford. The simple fact is I cannot prove that the laser is effective for regrowth (although there are loads of videos on the web showing great regrowth) but we cannot say that it is bogus because we don't know enough about lasers in 2007. The best scientist on this site is probably CCS and he is interested in the laser. I know a lot fo you are knowledgable on this site (Jayman etc) but sometimes you think you know it all when you don't. I mean how do you explain Timi's hair loss? He recently posted pictures and maintained with finasteride for years, he goes on dutasteride and loses it all; this may suggest that T can be just a strong a aggrovator than DHT.
To the original poster - I agree with everyone that the Big 3 is the most sensible way to go, but if you can also combat your hairloss through infra-red waves why not? Those who are serious shoudl fight internally, externally and transternally lol.