Washing hair with conditioner only?

phan95

Reaction score
What if I just wash my hair using only conditioner since it might be less damaging to my hair.

Could there be any bad effects of I stop using shampoo altogether?
Anyone here done that before?

cmudave

Established Member
Reaction score
washing your hair with conditioner only would be a bad idea in my opinion. Conditioner isn't made to "wash" hair and from what I've read conditioner can clog the pores of the scalp. As far as I know there are no negative effects of not washing the hair except for having greasy smelly hair. If you are afraid of using shampoo because of harsh chemicals maybe you can check into an organic shampoo....maybe tea tree oil shampoo. Hope this helps.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
phan95 said:
What if I just wash my hair using only conditioner since it might be less damaging to my hair.

I'm curious about something: how do you suppose that shampoo would "damage" hair?

phan95

Reaction score
Bryan said:
phan95 said:

I'm curious about something: how do you suppose that shampoo would "damage" hair?

Some people say that you don't need to shampoo everyday. The shampoo if harsh enough will strip your hair of the nutrient it needs to be strong. :(

I used to take showers twice a day and shampooing it once a day.
But now I'm taking a shower every other day. Hope my hair will regrow.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
phan95 said:
Some people say that you don't need to shampoo everyday. The shampoo if harsh enough will strip your hair of the nutrient it needs to be strong. :(

What do you suppose those "nutrients" are that shampoo supposedly strips your hair of? I've frequently cited a set of studies by no less an authority than Kligman which found that even thorough washings with pure ETHER (!) left the hair in a good, attractive condition with a lustrous feel to it. If you'd like, I can dig up some quotes from that study and post them here.

I tend to think that a lot of this concern over "harsh shampoos" is just silly paranoia.

hair today gone tomorrow

Reaction score
cmudave said:
Conditioner isn't made to "wash" hair and from what I've read conditioner can clog the pores of the scalp.

Where did you read that? IM curious because I often use conditioner to style my hair rather than gels and waxes...

phan95

Reaction score
hair today gone tomorrow said:
cmudave said:
Conditioner isn't made to "wash" hair and from what I've read conditioner can clog the pores of the scalp.

Where did you read that? IM curious because I often use conditioner to style my hair rather than gels and waxes...

Yea I just started using conditioner by itself and it works just like gel which I like. It gives my hair this wet look for 8hrs straight. 8)

chr1s

Established Member
Reaction score
Unless you have very OILY HAIR.. you do NOT wash daily.. if you do have oily hair, make sure the shampoo you are using is a gentle DAILY shampoo.

Where in the world do you guys get that everyone must shampoo daily???