Washing Hair Is Shedding Nightmare. Is This Abnormal?

bluecyclone

My Regimen
Reaction score
I have a steady shed through the day but when I wash my hair it’s as if even a light touch yanks out many many hairs. My hair is long 5-7 inches.

Over time the quality is worse far thinner but still have cover with loss of density and slow temple recession.

I was four times a week but each wash yields 200+

Any ideas on how to decrease loss during washing? Have had pull tests down but they said it was a negative. On topical Finasteride Oral Minoxidil...

Attachments

• 506EF2E9-3688-4B99-BC6B-E97EE53D5C61.jpeg
    506EF2E9-3688-4B99-BC6B-E97EE53D5C61.jpeg
    233.9 KB · Views: 1,573
  • D3E7C0A5-CF01-41C5-A86E-822F5431F774.jpeg
    D3E7C0A5-CF01-41C5-A86E-822F5431F774.jpeg
    142.5 KB · Views: 1,541
  • F83DFEF8-535F-418C-AB8C-F393B9C65EF6.jpeg
    F83DFEF8-535F-418C-AB8C-F393B9C65EF6.jpeg
    72.5 KB · Views: 1,509

CrownBalding

My Regimen
Reaction score
Are those hairs from one wash?

bluecyclone

My Regimen
Reaction score
Yes. It happens every single wash. I use coldish water and take extreme care. Wash 4 times a week. This was the last photo I took different wash.

Attachments

• 3A9DCB31-2FD4-494B-B209-1476349D2394.jpeg
    3A9DCB31-2FD4-494B-B209-1476349D2394.jpeg
    65.1 KB · Views: 998

CrownBalding

My Regimen
Reaction score
That’s a lot of hair. But your hair doesn’t look bad. Some people shed a lot but regrow most of it which seems to be the case with you. Especially if this has been happening for a while.

bluecyclone

My Regimen
Reaction score
Yeah I’m still hanging in there with coverage but definitely diffusing faster than any regrowth. It’s weird it’s like I can easily pull out entire units. The hair is long and the back is still full and healthy. Almost a month on topical Finasteride.

Derelict

My Regimen
Reaction score
How long have you been on oral minoxidil? i started not long ago and shedding a ton, that might be the cause. I would not put too much stock on shedding though, if it coincides with hair density then worry, but if you are regrowing the hairs you lose and no loss of density is happening then you are worrying over nothing ultimately.

Last edited:

bluecyclone

My Regimen
Reaction score
About a year and a half in Oral Minoxidil. Problem is that there has been a drastic change in hair density. Still covered but clumping and individual hairs are now light and whispy from black. I’m a month on topical Finasteride with no slowing in shedding. Not sure what to try.

CrownBalding

My Regimen
Reaction score
About a year and a half in Oral Minoxidil. Problem is that there has been a drastic change in hair density. Still covered but clumping and individual hairs are now light and whispy from black. I’m a month on topical Finasteride with no slowing in shedding. Not sure what to try.
Why not oral finasteride?

bluecyclone

My Regimen
Reaction score
Doctor thought topical was worth a try first. I put it off for awhile. It’s a steady diffuse thinning that is hard to see but feels like sh*t from having great density just two years ago.

AnxiousAndy

My Regimen
Reaction score
Doctor thought topical was worth a try first. I put it off for awhile. It’s a steady diffuse thinning that is hard to see but feels like sh*t from having great density just two years ago.
If its diffuse thinning you think you've got then isn't it a pain to apply topical finasteride? Most of it is just going to get stuck and dry on your hair! You probably won't get any side effects, try oral finasteride its a lot more effective, especially for diffusers.. Also minoxidil is pretty much useless after about a year of use because DHT eventually kills the follicles minoxidil was keeping alive.

Yakitori

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
You should try oral finasteride or dutasteride before oral minoxidil.

AnxiousAndy

My Regimen
Reaction score
You should try oral finasteride or dutasteride before oral minoxidil.
finasteride yes but not dutasteride, oral minoxidil gets a bad rep for some reason on here.. I'm on 12.5mg daily and I have no side effects, heart rate is fine.

Yakitori

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
finasteride yes but not dutasteride, oral minoxidil gets a bad rep for some reason on here.. I'm on 12.5mg daily and I have no side effects, heart rate is fine.

One of many reasons why I'm careful with starting oral mino is that you are talking about a 9 month long constant shed. My hair is not in a state that can survive 9 months of nuclear shedding without seeing my scalp.

AnxiousAndy

My Regimen
Reaction score
One of many reasons why I'm careful with starting oral mino is that you are talking about a 9 month long constant shed. My hair is not in a state that can survive 9 months of nuclear shedding without seeing my scalp.
To be fair I did get good results before the shed, and I'm blaming it on switching brands. I think my shedding is now actually gradually decreasing.

Derelict

My Regimen
Reaction score

Where did you get the 9 month figure from if i may ask?

bluecyclone

My Regimen
Reaction score
I had a solid 4 month she’d in low dose oral min. Over a year but afraid to stop for fear of more loss. Considering a switch to oral finasteride. The shed has been crazy. Still a lot of hair but not sure any density can survive this shed rate. My thought on topical finasteride was that it’s essentilly a way to micro dose. My guess is it works the same way as the pill just a mindset that somehow less sides w topical.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 643

Hair ball

My Regimen
Reaction score
To be fair I did get good results before the shed, and I'm blaming it on switching brands.
I know switching brands wasn't a great success for you, but have you ever tried buying minoxidil powder from people like Kane? I have no idea about the quality of their minoxidil powder. I would like to try low dose oral minoxidil (1 mg), but in Canada, it's super hard to find a doctor willing to prescrib it for hair loss.

AnxiousAndy

My Regimen
Reaction score
I know switching brands wasn't a great success for you, but have you ever tried buying minoxidil powder from people like Kane? I have no idea about the quality of their minoxidil powder. I would like to try low dose oral minoxidil (1 mg), but in Canada, it's super hard to find a doctor willing to prescrib it for hair loss.
I wouldn't be opposed, but drinking topical is a lot cheaper and I'm not made of money unfortunately lol.

1knox1

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
but in Canada, it's super hard to find a doctor willing to prescrib it for hair loss.

Same in U.K. Trying to figure a way around it. Bit hesitant about online as have heard of brands not working as well as others.