WAS on propecia, stopped! now can i ONLY use rogaine foam?

sharaabi

Reaction score
im 27 and 3 years ago noticed thinning above my neck area and now slowwwly my hair is thinning toward the front.

I took propecia for about a year but i have read SO many articles, blogs....heard so many homeopathic doctors and others talk about the negative effects of propecia and stuff that i just stopped....WHY? i just felt it wasnt working for me.

so my question:

HAS ANYONE SEEN REGROWTH WITH JUST ROGAINE FOAM AND NOTHING ELSE????

Eureka

Established Member
Reaction score
Depends, But ah, well, you didn't think it was working for you? (propecia) Did you take pics? or did you just listen to others opinions on a drug and stop taking it.

Rogaine can work on it's own, it depends on your specific level of hairloss, and how fast your losing it, It definitely works much better with finasteride.

sharaabi

Reaction score
so what is THE most effective combo for thinning hair that have been successful?

rogaine Foam and finasteride?

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
Cassin said:
there isn't anything else even remotely close.

Dr. Proctor has said in the past that Proxiphen is somewhat more effective than Propecia and Rogaine together. I have no particular reason to doubt his judgement.

sharaabi

Reaction score
you know at this point i may be acting selfish but honestly, before i see my dermatologist next week,

id like to know what do people us on this forum that has proven to help thinning hair and prevent further loss.

i have read SO many extremes on here, dont use rogaine, use minoxidil, use finasteride, dont use finasteride and i understand what works for me wont work for someone else. So in conclusion can someone tell me what helpd people REGROW hair with the most minimum use, example: finasteride and minoxidil, rogaine foam and minoxidil etc.

i apologize for my ignorance but id like to gain more knowledge than what my doctor is going to tell me and the search feature on this blog has confused me more than help me decide.

thanks everyone

Norsk

Established Member
Reaction score
The most popular and proven treatment is finasteride (Propecia or Proscar) plus minoxidil (Rogaine). I'd use that combo if I didn't get side effects from finasteride. I'm now on Prox-n + Proxiphen, which is the topical treatment I have most faith in (and also probably the most expensive treatment on the market).

zxAddict

Established Member
Reaction score
I had to stop finasteride also, the sides were so bad for me....I don't even want to think about it again. Anyway, work some sort of topical DHT blocking item into your program. I use minoxidil with hairmuck x2 daily, spironolactone 2% once and revivogen currently. Oh, and nizoral x2-x3 a week. Don't know much about Proxiphen etc, shall have to look into it though.

TA45

Established Member
Reaction score
ZXaddict,
Hello. How is your topical regimen working? Is it effective? Anything to report? There are several guys, such as myself, that are seeking feedback about effective topical antiandrogens in combo with minoxidil. I for one, can not handle the sides of Finasteride.
Tim

Jake_89

Established Member
Reaction score
Hey I was just about to start this exact thread fellas, I ordered Propecia I got it sitting here but I just don't want to touch the stuff incase of sides so since I have cought my hairloss very early I was hoping of use Rogaine Foam just to maintain what I got.

Please Recommend my a topical DHT blocker that I can use to maintain my current hair (I am not worried about regrowth) I just want to maintain the current hair and I would like to know what topical products I should use for this?

Please provide full names of products so I can search them up.

Thanks guys

el_duterino

Reaction score
list of strong topicals proven to work for Maintenance of healthy follicules:

Finasgel: DHT inhibitor (via 5aa enzyme inhibition): Finasteride in a Gel
Flutagel: DHT antagonist (binds to the androgen receptors in place of DHT) : Flutamide in a gel
Fluridil: degrades androgen receptors (see under BP-766 patent)

But I would first try finasteride internally..there are 98% of chances that you will get no side effects at all, especially after a few months. Easier to continue a life-long treatement if it requires only popping a pill.

recognition2

Established Member
Reaction score
To Jake_89

I don't have many sides with propecia, but just the fact that your libido is diminished by -30% can piss you off big time.

I started with propecia only and didn't see any improvements, then I started rogaine and I saw improvements.

If I was you I would try rogaine foam alone(and only on the area where you think you need it).

Remember that those are life treatments so think up before you do your choice.

zxAddict

Established Member
Reaction score
timallen45 said:
ZXaddict,
Hello. How is your topical regimen working? Is it effective? Anything to report? There are several guys, such as myself, that are seeking feedback about effective topical antiandrogens in combo with minoxidil. I for one, can not handle the sides of Finasteride.
Tim

Its too early to report yet, only a month or so. However, in theory spironolactone+revivogen should be a potent combo for the scalp DHT and blocking receptor sites etc. Its been recommmended by various people as worth trying. The minoxidil has hairmuck in it which is the Saw Palmetto and Beta sitosterol all in all I think this is a good topical route.

Morning. minoxidil+hairmuck
Afternoon: spironolactone
After work (5pm). minoxidil.
Evening (9pm). Wash hair, apply Revivogen.

This way I don't have the smell of the spironolactone hanging around too long. and it gets quite pongy after about 4 hours and reacting with minoxidil.

G

You can try Revivogen and Rogaine it has worked well for me.Rogaine alone isnt enouth because it does nothing to block DHT.I wouldnt waste my money on anything protor sells either because i havent really heard any success storys,The guy also charges an arm and a leg.

G

I also havent heard any good results from spironolactone alone,Its always used with something else like minoxidil.So its probably the minoxidil thats working and not the spironolactone.

TA45

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi Davidoff,
Would you please answer a few questions?:
-Did you start minoxidil and Revivogen at the same time? If not, please explain.
-Where on your scalp are you exactly applying the topicals?
-What type of loss do you have?
Thanks for your feedback! Keep up the good work with the topicals?
Tim