WARNING minoxidil 5% + GreenT + Grape Seed Extract + 0.05% finasteride

m0rpheus

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Just wanted to let you know... so far could be really good or really bad.

I made my own little mix up.

I make 15ml at a time and apply 0.5ml to only one side my head (Front right temple)

I have standard 5% minoxidil and added 0.5% green tea, 1% grape seed extract and 0.05% finasteride.

I have been doing this for a month now. The section that i have been applying this to has severly lost ground.

There is two options...

1. I am in a huge shed then going to have awesome regrowth
2. More likely the Green Tea or Grapeseed Extract is bad for the hair and is making it considerable less thicker / lost hair.

I am going to wait it out another month and cross my fingers. If it doesnt work I DONT suggest anyone else try Grapeseed Extract or Green Tea on there head.

Whats everyones opinion on this anyway?

JLL

Established Member
Reaction score
Interesting experiment. I haven't seen studies on topical grape seed extract, but we know minoxidil works, and topical finasteride seems to work too. The finasteride may be the reason for the shed, though.

I don't think green tea extract is bad - how much are you using? The only study I've seen looks very promising regarding topical green tea:

Topical Green Tea Catechins Grow Hair in Vitro, Might Work in Vivo

Good luck!

CCS

Reaction score
Grapeseed extract is an aromatase inhibitor, according to a few obscure sources. That means it prevents testosterone from being turned into extrogen. That is bad for hair. But it is also a growth stimulant, according to the applepoly people who compared applepoly, GSE, and minoxidil. I doubt it is causing the shed, but I don't think it good for your hair long term.

green tea extract has androgen receptor blockers in it, which is good for hair, if it can get into the follicle, which some small studies suggest it can't. Micheal Barry's beard hair experiment suggests it can get into the follicle. But it also inhibits angiosynthesis, which might be bad for hair.

Topical finasteride: good for hair if it is absorbed right. The best vehicle is not known, but some octyl salicylate might drastically increase obsorption.

Minxoidil: good for hair, but it probably does not slow down the balding process. It is just a growth stimulant.

My current believe is that lavender essentail oil, minoxidil, and applepoly bulk powder are our best experimental options. I would put 4 drops of lander and 0.5% applepoly in 5% minoxidil, with maybe 5% DMSO to keep everything dissolved.

el_duterino

Reaction score
what do you mean by "angiosynthesis"..can you please explain why inhibiting this process is it bad for hair ? or are you refering to "Angiogenesis".
Also, since you think that an aromates inhibitor is bad for hair..is it because it leaves too much testosterone to bind to the AR ?

CCS

Reaction score
Yes, I meant angiogenesis. Angiogenesis happens during cancer formation, so stopping it then is good. But during the hair cycle, a blood vessel rises up to meet the follicle at the surface, and then it decends deeper into the skin as the hair matures. I don't know if green tea inhibits this or not. But unless we know exactly what is meant by angiogenesis, and tests are done on the follicle, there is the possibility it would inhibit this process.

As for aromatase, yes, more testosterone is bad. And more testosterone often means more DHT, as any steroid user will tell you. But I actually read that estrogen is good for head hair. Estrogen fluctuations can cause reversible sheds. I don't know if high follicle estrogen levels can reverse the androgenic aspect of hair loss, but I suspect it can. There were experiments done where they put topical estrogen on balding men's heads. The men regrew hair, but got gyno, and had to quit. I doubt the regrowth was minoxidil like short term stimulant growth. I think it actually reversed the balding process a bit. This is just my opinion, but is why I try to avoid aromatase inhibitors. Topical lavender actually stimulates the estrogen receptor, and inhibits the androgen receptor. It might not be super strong, but I think it is a good add on to whatever non-medicated shampoo you are using.

wantbackmyhairnow

Reaction score
"And more testosterone often means more DHT, as any steroid user will tell you."

What????No,you are completely wrong!If testosterone goes up DHT goes down and viceversa!

CCS

Reaction score
wantbackmyhairnow said:
"And more testosterone often means more DHT, as any steroid user will tell you."

What????No,you are completely wrong!If testosterone goes up DHT goes down and viceversa!

I'd need to see proof of that. I think you mean if testosterone goes down, 5 alpha reductase goes up, and vise versa. DHT still follows testosterone, just not proportionately. Castrated men have vastly reduced testosterone levels, and their DHT levels are reduced too, 95% and 70% respectively.

el_duterino

Reaction score
CCS, thanks for your clarification on angiogenesis. I am intersted in trying a topical using green tee extract mixed to pharma grade DMSO or Phlogel (i have both).
I am in Japan so I can get any quality of fresh green tee powder, and it seems like a safe thing to use since millions of people are ingesting it everyday.

But this angiogenesis is obviousely something to worry about.
Are there any drugs or coumpounds that can promote angiogenesis to counter this, that we could use topically ?

CCS

Reaction score
I think minoxidil promotes angiogenesis. But I'm not sure about that. There are many good herbal topical androgen receptor blockers and 5 alpha reductase type 1 inhibitors, but like 90% of them inhibit angiogenesis, or they they epilate body hair so well that Micheal Barry suspects they do more than just anti-androgenic stuff, like maybe they are just hard on hair. Really annoying since a study showed EGCG to be a very strong androgen receptor blocker, neutralizing the effects of topical DHT on castrated hampster sebum glands.

It seems apple polyphenols are very safe. So is lavender. So are certain free fatty acids that inhibit 5ar1. We got a few others we know are safe.

A certain licorice extract is a very strong anti-androgen. I have some in my closet, 1/2 pound of extract. But it is such a good body hair epilater that I just don't know if there is some other mechanism at play. But I did put it in my shampoo for a few months before I knew about this, and did not see any difference. It is supposed to be toxic to melanocites. A lot of these good herbals are toxic to melanocites, and used by Indians to lighten their skin. I don't know how that might affect hair color. I also put peppermint essential oil in my shampoo for a few months, before Micheal Barry scared me away from using it. No change in 2 months from the shampoo, though it made my scalp red.

m0rpheus

Reaction score
I have stopped this treatment...

The shed came on soon as I started trying the topical. I have had heaps of sheds in my hairloss days and never any that have come on that quick.

Also the whole time the treated side lost ground while the other side improved. I believe this is because I have been using lasers over my whole head for the last 3 months and seems to be working wonders.

Anyway so there you go. Maybe I was in the ultimate shed before ultimate regrowth. However was not gambling to find out... someone else do it haha