Warning: Do not use PRP, it makes things worse

HousePanther

My Regimen
Reaction score
I can only speak to my own experience and perception, which is that I had very slow diffuse thinning over the course of about 20 years, the front hairline was finally starting to become noticeable a few years ago, and under my current regimen I feel there's been some improvement in thickness and a halt to progressive hair loss. In short, I don't think about my hair loss these days. That's profound when I stand back and consider it.

Since 2018, I've been undergoing PRP treatment every six months. There would be some periods of slight shedding, not too bad. I honestly had a time following the first year during which I wondered if PRP was helping. Sometimes it seemed that my thinning was continuing at the same rate as if I had done nothing. Then in 2019 I added Finasteride 1mg to my regimen. (I also use a laser helmet every other day for an hour which looks ridiculous, but my doctor stands by it, and it's not a big deal to use while watching TV, so whatever.) My guess is that Finasteride is making the most difference. But I don't discount the PRP, and it certainly has not made my hair loss worse. At this point, I just want to keep doing what I'm doing, as long as it remains feasible, as this combination of treatments is working for me, and I am very thankful and satisfied.

DoctorHouse

Reaction score
I can only speak to my own experience and perception, which is that I had very slow diffuse thinning over the course of about 20 years, the front hairline was finally starting to become noticeable a few years ago, and under my current regimen I feel there's been some improvement in thickness and a halt to progressive hair loss. In short, I don't think about my hair loss these days. That's profound when I stand back and consider it.

Since 2018, I've been undergoing PRP treatment every six months. There would be some periods of slight shedding, not too bad. I honestly had a time following the first year during which I wondered if PRP was helping. Sometimes it seemed that my thinning was continuing at the same rate as if I had done nothing. Then in 2019 I added Finasteride 1mg to my regimen. (I also use a laser helmet every other day for an hour which looks ridiculous, but my doctor stands by it, and it's not a big deal to use while watching TV, so whatever.) My guess is that Finasteride is making the most difference. But I don't discount the PRP, and it certainly has not made my hair loss worse. At this point, I just want to keep doing what I'm doing, as long as it remains feasible, as this combination of treatments is working for me, and I am very thankful and satisfied.
I was told that PRP if done by someone like Dr Greco and being proactive with using finasteride, minoxidil, and the laser cap can all help synergistically. I had PRP done twice and I don't think it hurt anything. You just can't use only one treatment and expect the best results.

jd_uk

Reaction score
Could dermarolling make things worse in the same way as PRP? (I saw one person talk about avoiding dermarolling hair which wasn't already very thin).

DoctorHouse

Reaction score
Could dermarolling make things worse in the same way as PRP? (I saw one person talk about avoiding dermarolling hair which wasn't already very thin).
I am sure in some instances it could due to wounding existing hairs if you have a lot of hair but overall it seems to help as long as you use a growth stimulant with it. There is always going to be a post about how someone's hair got worse on any of the treatments that work for the majority. Medicine has exceptions to the rule just like anything in life. You just have to try it to see how it works.

HousePanther

My Regimen
Reaction score
I was told that PRP if done by someone like Dr Greco and being proactive with using finasteride, minoxidil, and the laser cap can all help synergistically. I had PRP done twice and I don't think it hurt anything. You just can't use only one treatment and expect the best results.

That's exactly the approach taken by my doctor (Dr. Jeffrey Wise in New Jersey). He didn't suggest Minoxidil for my situation, but does recommend a multimodal regimen. Going on three years, all of his recommendations have worked well for me.

DoctorHouse

Reaction score
That's exactly the approach taken by my doctor (Dr. Jeffrey Wise in New Jersey). He didn't suggest Minoxidil for my situation, but does recommend a multimodal regimen. Going on three years, all of his recommendations have worked well for me.
That's great. I found a multimodal regimen that seems to help slowly stabilize my hair for over 15 years. I am always open to try new things. I have lost some density since the beginning but these treatments are no cures.

blub10

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
@doctor and House
When Finasteride PRP will not make things worse, because the problem with PRP is the injection concentrated DHT into your scalp

By simple pure logic a multimodal regime is a total rip off and a doctors maximum approach to get as much money as possible from a patient.

This is because you can not assess what works and what not if you use more than two things at a time.

Especially when for many of us Finasterid or minoxidil would do the job perfectly if there were no side effects.

There is only one independent patient review in all hairlossforums with proper before and after photos that PRP only helped a little bit (some whisky hairs in the hairline). But there are tons doctors performing it worldwide and lots of negative reviews making hairloss worse, including me. The doctors reviews can be forgotten, you never know on what other multimodal meds their patients are

For everyone reading this:

1) Do not start PRP with other regimes. You should at least be 12 months on a regime in order to assess if PRP is making things better or worse

2) Do a proper Trichoscan of an area before the PRP and 8 to 12 months after. Do the Prp only in this area, do NOT go for the whole head!

3) If the later Trichocans show improvement, only then go for the whole head

Yes it takes patience but:

These steps will prevent you for making one of your biggest hair mistakes like I have done, as PRP made things a lot worse for me

Furthermore it will save you a shitload of money if it does nothing

Fontaine

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
man, you're probably just one of those crybabies who carries on balding and then blames it all on one part of their regime

I highly doubt PRP makes hair worse for any more than 0.01% of the population

DoctorHouse

Reaction score
@doctor and House
When Finasteride PRP will not make things worse, because the problem with PRP is the injection concentrated DHT into your scalp

By simple pure logic a multimodal regime is a total rip off and a doctors maximum approach to get as much money as possible from a patient.

This is because you can not assess what works and what not if you use more than two things at a time.

Especially when for many of us Finasterid or minoxidil would do the job perfectly if there were no side effects.

There is only one independent patient review in all hairlossforums with proper before and after photos that PRP only helped a little bit (some whisky hairs in the hairline). But there are tons doctors performing it worldwide and lots of negative reviews making hairloss worse, including me. The doctors reviews can be forgotten, you never know on what other multimodal meds their patients are

For everyone reading this:

1) Do not start PRP with other regimes. You should at least be 12 months on a regime in order to assess if PRP is making things better or worse

2) Do a proper Trichoscan of an area before the PRP and 8 to 12 months after. Do the Prp only in this area, do NOT go for the whole head!

3) If the later Trichocans show improvement, only then go for the whole head

Yes it takes patience but:

These steps will prevent you for making one of your biggest hair mistakes like I have done, as PRP made things a lot worse for me

Furthermore it will save you a shitload of money if it does nothing
Just because you had a poor result does not set in stone it does not work or makes the situation worse. I did it and it helped yet I am not setting in stone that it will work for everyone.

HousePanther

My Regimen
Reaction score
I do agree with the wisdom that you should asses treatments individually to test their efficacy, because if you start multiple treatments at once and they're successful, you won't know how well they're functioning individually. I think the problem a number of folks have with this approach is that with hair loss you're in a battle with time, and the treatments that do work have their highest success rate in maintaining what you have rather than growing it back. If you try just one treatment for a long time and it fails, you've lost that ground in the battle to keep hair on your scalp.

I did try only using PRP for about a year and I wasn't sure it was working, so I added Finasteride. Then I eventually noticed a difference. (Thankfully, no side effects.) I have considered stopping the PRP and saving a lot of money. But because I'm happy with the results and don't want to deal with the anxiety of halting a treatment when my regimen appears to be helping, I've kept going. I probably will as long as I can afford to do so, and as long it seems to be working. (On a side note, I've heard that PRP might also help keep hair from turning gray - not sure of the facts behind this claim.) On the plus side, the Finasteride prescription only costs $10 for a few month's supply!

blub10, I'm sorry you've had such a bad experience with PRP. Even if it negatively affects a very small percentage of people, you do not want to be in that group. What I do wonder is, do you think the PRP definitely worsened your hair loss, or do you think it coincided with a period of higher natural shedding?

Last edited:

blub10

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Just because you had a poor result does not set in stone it does not work or makes the situation worse. I did it and it helped yet I am not setting in stone that it will work for everyone.
I agree with you I that not everyone gets worse results. But there are more negative reviews in Hairlossforums by users than positive.
That's why I explained everyone to carefully access it with a Trichoscan and doing it in one area before jumping completely on board

blub10

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I do agree with the wisdom that you should asses treatments individually to test their efficacy, because if you start multiple treatments at once and they're successful, you won't know how well they're functioning individually. I think the problem a number of folks have with this approach is that with hair loss you're in a battle with time, and the treatments that do work have their highest success rate in maintaining what you have rather than growing it back. If you try just one treatment for a long time and it fails, you've lost that ground in the battle to keep hair on your scalp.

I did try only using PRP for about a year and I wasn't sure it was working, so I added Finasteride. Then I eventually noticed a difference. (Thankfully, no side effects.) I have considered stopping the PRP and saving a lot of money. But because I'm happy with the results and don't want to deal with the anxiety of halting a treatment when my regimen appears to be helping, I've kept going. I probably will as long as I can afford to do so, and as long it seems to be working. (On a side note, I'd heard that PRP might also help keep hair from turning gray - not sure of the facts behind this claim.) On the plus side, the Finasteride prescription only costs $10 for a few month's supply!

blub10, I'm sorry you've had such a bad experience with PRP. Even if it negatively affects a very small percentage of people, you do not want to be in that group. What I do wonder is, do you think the PRP definitely worsened your hair loss, or do you think it coincided with a period of higher natural shedding?
Yes finasteride and minoxidil will save you lot of money and nerves if you tolerate it. The doctors of course earn almost nothing with it, why they try to sell their funny PRP

I have prove on pictures how it worsened it twice. Hair became a lot thinner in the areas where it was used. I never lost so much ground than after these procedures, that's why I can not imagine it coincided with natural Shedding. Especially when I watched it on the long term. I am now only left with Bimaroprost which works great but unfortunately gives me sexual sides

JaneyElizabeth

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
I asked at two different salons and happily, both salons told me this about PRP:

Eh....

So I didn't go that direction. It might help to have a good relationship with a technician.

Derelict

My Regimen
Reaction score
Yes finasteride and minoxidil will save you lot of money and nerves if you tolerate it. The doctors of course earn almost nothing with it, why they try to sell their funny PRP

I have prove on pictures how it worsened it twice. Hair became a lot thinner in the areas where it was used. I never lost so much ground than after these procedures, that's why I can not imagine it coincided with natural Shedding. Especially when I watched it on the long term. I am now only left with Bimaroprost which works great but unfortunately gives me sexual sides

Did you stop finasteride and minoxidil once you had PRP done?

blub10

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I stopped finasteride 2,5 years before PRP and minoxidil 12 months before. I used minoxidil only for 6 weeks

I was on nothing when on PRP

blub10

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Here is the challenge: Post one independent patient review with pictures that someone benefited from PRP or Link to threads where people only on PRP claim to have improved. By independent I mean not that a doctor is specifically mentioned or advertised or it has been posted by a clinic or doctor

I do exact opposite:
I show you sources and examples that it can actually make things worse:
3 people claiming in one thread it made things worse
https://www.baldtruthtaIk.com/threa...ng-if-anyone-s-shed-ever-resolved-in-net-gain
Another case of worsening
https://www.baldtruthtaIk.com/threa...treatment-scam?p=238944&viewfull=1#post238944
Two more people
https://www.baldtruthtaIk.com/threads/21292-PRP-ended-my-young-looks-forever-it-seems/page4

https://donovanmedical.com/hair-blog/prp-shedding

Although different Lighting you can see that PRP made his hair definitely worse!

You need to be on Finasteride, otherwise the concentrated DHT in the PRP will f*** your hair up so badly. Only your naturally DHT resistant hair may stay. You are paying for this worsening a huge amount of money to a doctor

DO NOT BE STUPID

Last edited:

blub10

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

blub10

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Nobody here accepted my Challenge of Posting an independant PRP improvement Review. Do not let doctors rip you off for making you hair loss worse

Zlatan

My Regimen
Reaction score
A new study which exactly approves my theory:

DO NOT USE PRP
Not even during a hair transplant?